Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3801 3802 [3803] 3804 3805 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118201 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57030 on: December 25, 2022, 04:37:18 am »

What?
Sounds like that child is destined for the military when it grows up.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #57031 on: December 25, 2022, 01:22:36 pm »

He is weak and hates fighting and the pursuit of martial prowess. Presumably because it is futile in the face of his glory.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57032 on: December 25, 2022, 06:54:01 pm »

He is weak and hates fighting and the pursuit of martial prowess. Presumably because it is futile in the face of his glory.

The child simply wants peace. It is not his fault he is so good at violence.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57033 on: December 25, 2022, 08:57:28 pm »

In Gravearmor (.47.05) the migrants have started coming again after a few years of sporadic showings. Two waves of 10 & 9 arrived, population is 385 now.

A legendary hammerdwarf (lvl.40) wearing exceptional steel armor was overcome by a profane fog cloud while out gathering wood.  Now a thrall, he promptly killed a fellow armed & armored dwarf.  It took 5 melee and 4 crossbow squads a LONG time to finally destroy him in a fight which raged across a drawbridge over the river.  The thrall and several dwarves fell off the bridge several times but were able to swim to shore. (I had a GIF of the battle but it turned out all lime-green)

Meanwhile, an unhappy dwarf died of wounds sustained in a beating by the CoG.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

beargryllz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #57034 on: December 25, 2022, 09:49:05 pm »

Managed to get a mighty 200 dwarf fort going, 80 steel-armed militia.

My dwarves are clearing out entire armies of fish people, goblins, and elves. To say nothing of a dozen or more forgotten beasts, vanquished entirely

We have displayed their corpses on pedestals flanking columns on the road to my fort. We feel no fear. It is our way

But we have acquired a terrible disease that causes a dwarf to sprout blisters, then bleed to death extremely quickly.

My Dr. Dwarves march in, diagnose, then the afflicted takes a few steps and dies, pale, with blood all around. This has been going on for a while now. Was not so bad when I figured a few children involved in the last forgotten beast attack fell dead later.

But it got much, much worse.

I'm losing several dwarves each month. Both of my legendary planters are dead, forcing us to butcher our herds and venture to the waters to fish.

I love this game. I have no idea if my fort can survive this, I have a feeling things are about to get fun

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57035 on: December 26, 2022, 12:46:52 am »

After capturing a dragon and spending some time training her so that we could gain knowledge I decided to proudly display her in a glass room by the most populated area of my fort.

I'm not certain what happened, entirely. She must have recognized the last person on the list (a human maceman/visiting slayer and the only one she deliberately killed) as an enemy and attacked him, breathing fire in the process. What's important is nothing that happened is her fault she is my beloved dragon and she is innocent.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57036 on: December 26, 2022, 03:07:30 pm »

After capturing a dragon and spending some time training her so that we could gain knowledge I decided to proudly display her in a glass room by the most populated area of my fort.

I'm not certain what happened, entirely. She must have recognized the last person on the list (a human maceman/visiting slayer and the only one she deliberately killed) as an enemy and attacked him, breathing fire in the process. What's important is nothing that happened is her fault she is my beloved dragon and she is innocent.
Probably the known bug that tamed mega-beasts are always hostile to military even when tame.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57037 on: December 26, 2022, 11:20:00 pm »

Probably the known bug that tamed mega-beasts are always hostile to military even when tame.

Yeah, that's what happened, I didn't know about the bug at the time so was completely clueless. Let this be a lesson to be cautious moving megabeasts around your fort, even if they're avoiding your military. Fortunately she's safely in her enclosure now, and doesn't seem to aggro from seeing people through windows.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57038 on: December 27, 2022, 12:25:51 am »

Yeah, that's what happened, I didn't know about the bug at the time so was completely clueless. Let this be a lesson to be cautious moving megabeasts around your fort, even if they're avoiding your military. Fortunately she's safely in her enclosure now, and doesn't seem to aggro from seeing people through windows.
Window or glass wall?  Because an actual window is a building object like door & grate, which your Dragon can easily destroy if agitated.  Also, I chuckled at the pile of melted Dorfs not being her fault.  She is the goodest of girls, after all.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57039 on: December 27, 2022, 03:46:07 am »

Window or glass wall?  Because an actual window is a building object like door & grate, which your Dragon can easily destroy if agitated.  Also, I chuckled at the pile of melted Dorfs not being her fault.  She is the goodest of girls, after all.
It's windows, but it's also not an actual room anyone would go into except to train the dragon or collect dragon eggs, and she doesn't seem to care what's on the other side, as I've even seen monster slayers pass directly in her field of view. There was another incident with a pair of monster slayers while moving her to the enclosure, but that only killed two dwarves so really it's barely worth mentioning. Since then all has been safe and there's no reason for that to change, everything is fine and good and safe forever.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57040 on: December 27, 2022, 07:37:43 pm »

The dwarves have moved every stockpile but the weapons and armor down to the main fort. I'm putting off the weapons and armor until I've come up with a sorting system that isn't a combinatorial explosion of stockpiles.

The hospital and library have been finished, the dungeon is being worked upon, and the first batch of private bedrooms are also almost done. The old dining hall and noble offices have been removed. The temple has got a new paint job, and I'm thinking of getting some sterling silver walls for that mirror finish.

Finally, the fort has gotten basic power up! Good to know stupid dwarf tricks still work. The mills are up and running. The first seeds have also been sown in the new irrigated farms.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57041 on: December 27, 2022, 09:20:18 pm »

A forgotten beast is in my main stairwell while the military descends from the surface to fight it, all in a nail-biting 2 FPS. Luckily, the door to my drowning trap is just as good for keeping my dwarves in as it is at keeping the zombies in. With my engineers safe, the military made it in time with no casualties.

What do the caverns give me, anyway? Nothing but terror. The animals have long since been hunted to extinction and fed into the breach. Levers take time to activate, and Fortressplanks is a one tile fort. There's no time to react between something coming onto the map and it being inside the fort. The surface houses a massive citadel (for a one tile fort, anyhow) for precisely this reason. I've decided I'm closing off the caverns for good. I have nothing to lose.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57042 on: December 28, 2022, 11:56:15 pm »

Our Dwarfs seem to be blissfully unaware of the difference between 'interrupted by creature' and 'vigorously assaulted creature'.

This includes Cave Crocodiles and Giant Olms.

We'd be more concerned, but since they keeping winning...

EmperorCoolidge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57043 on: December 29, 2022, 11:35:20 am »

Caught a sneak during a large influx of visitors, which caused some sort of weird quasi-loyalty cascade with that visitor wave. After several deaths I finally dragged the troops up from the basement and killed all but one of them but the last one had walked into a shallow pool. The water was too low to drown him, but was high enough that no one would enter the pool or attack him. So I chucked him a nice cask of wine and installed a brick roof. During all this the queen, "terrified while in conflict," separated from her squad and racked up six kills on her own.

Now that the dead have been put to rest we can resume operation "drop a minotaur on those annoying batmen and see what happens." Might throw in the werebeaver. Once the cavern is secure we can start clearing land and building pumps for The Great Work.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #57044 on: December 29, 2022, 06:52:29 pm »

I tried messing with the raws and generated a new world.  I initially had hoped to just eliminate giant birds because they're quite annoying.  But ended up leaving them in, and instead, drastically increased the spawn rate and group size of sasquatches.  A troupe of 11 wandered into the map almost immediately upon embark, but caused no trouble and wandered off.  A herd of yaks arrived shortly thereafter.  Rather than immediately clear-cutting the surface as usual, I first built a retracting bridge over the entry tunnel before things get out of hand.
Pages: 1 ... 3801 3802 [3803] 3804 3805 ... 3842