Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3800 3801 [3802] 3803 3804 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118324 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57015 on: December 22, 2022, 08:11:54 pm »

Much as I'm traditionally an ASCII player, think I'll stick with graphics a little while longer since I'm still curious to see all of the new creature sprites (which I've only seen a handful of in-game so far).

Well, that and...the new monitor I got recently sadly seems to render DF's ASCII graphics in unplayably eye-searing lighting.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 08:14:11 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57016 on: December 23, 2022, 10:48:59 am »

Much as I'm traditionally an ASCII player, think I'll stick with graphics a little while longer since I'm still curious to see all of the new creature sprites (which I've only seen a handful of in-game so far).

Well, that and...the new monitor I got recently sadly seems to render DF's ASCII graphics in unplayably eye-searing lighting.

try adjusting the various settings from the manufacturer's menu. I had to do the same with my fancy-pants gaming monitor. surprisingly, the "racing" setting was the best for DF, and I have not a clue as to why

begun my newest project, recreating Templo Mayor in the newest version. oh lordy this mouse control is killing me. but the work must go on!

Devstorm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57017 on: December 23, 2022, 12:12:51 pm »

New embark, Steam version. I no sooner start and a honey badger picks a fight with the dog and a couple dwarves. Dead badger, the dwarves and dog seem to have come through okay. Then I look in the river to see a large number of hippos. And then one of my two miners has suddenly been elevated to queen, and immediately begins to demand that crutches be made. We don't even have stockpiles and workshops set up yet. Yeah, it's going to be one of those forts.

That said, crutches are easy enough. But this does mean I need to stop and look at the raws and see if hippos can be tamed and made into war hippos.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #57018 on: December 23, 2022, 01:43:12 pm »

0.50.04, Classic.

Spiked wooden balls have been nerfed to all hell (like they should've been, lol), and traders now have weight limits. The fine art of ripping off traders with spiked wooden balls is dead.

On the other hand, my dorfs are incredibly happy for having only existed for 2 seasons and a half in this fort.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57019 on: December 23, 2022, 02:54:09 pm »

I bought and tried the steam release when it came out, but I didn't want to get used to a new UI, so I decided to wait for the classic update to be released. Didn't refund the game because I do want to support bay 12  :)

And then when the classic update comes out, it turns out it's all the exact same except without the graphical tiles. You can even turn the steam release into classic by clicking a button in the options screen. :')

Of course, that's just a result of good software development practices (not having to maintain and release 2 distinct branches or frontends of the same thing) but now I have to get used to a new, less obtuse UI system when I was already fluent in an older obtuse UI system. Oh well, soon I'll be just as fluent. I hope. I've decided to give the steam release a proper try with its graphics.

Anyway all that aside, I have built the early foundations of my fort and was just preparing to set up a metal industry, when I found that the labors screen appears to have been radically changed. I can't seem to restrict a dwarf to furnace operating, or any metalsmithing related labor for that matter. Has anyone else had this problem?

I do like the ability to make a dwarf ignore labor assignments, this is useful in the very early game when the workforce is limited, but I still very much want to have only dedicated dwarves perform certain tasks, like mining or furnace operating. Because of course this focuses all the experience gain for the related skills on those dwarves, causing them to level faster and stopping random dwarves from gaining small amounts of random experience, and it also stops them from interrupting their jobs, which are important, with chores, like hauling.

(Also, there's no linux build for neither steam nor classic :( I did know that the steam release wasn't going to immediately support linux, but I was under the impression that the classic release was going to keep its linux support.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 06:01:39 pm by latias1290 »
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #57020 on: December 23, 2022, 09:48:45 pm »

You can enable specialization on a dwarf so they will only do things they are allowed to and will not pick up othr random jobs.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57021 on: December 24, 2022, 05:22:49 am »

Also, there's no linux build for neither steam nor classic :( I did know that the steam release wasn't going to immediately support linux, but I was under the impression that the classic release was going to keep its linux support.)

It's the same game. Classic is Steam, it's all the same thing. Just with absolutely ridiculous marketing all over in it trying to convince you otherwise.

There is no Linix version of this game because no-one has yet made a Linux version of this game. Nothing has been "taken away" it never existed.

47.05 has a Linux version because volunteers assisted in making a Linux port. Now that money is involved people will have to be paid to do it for 50.0x (which is not the same game as 47.05).

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57022 on: December 24, 2022, 05:32:01 pm »

The humans asked me if I wanted anything specific from their next caravan, I assumed there wasn't really anything I wanted, but I looked at what they had for me. And then I saw something that I did want.

Their next caravan brought me eight grizzly bears. I bought every one of them, of course.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #57023 on: December 24, 2022, 05:42:39 pm »

So today, I got attacked by a titan for the first time. Specifically, a giant scorpion.

I, of course, immediately panicked, because my military is barely trained and far from fully armored. I quickly set up a burrow to set everyone inside, but one rather slow child remained outside.

Yep, right outside the trap line and everything.

I kinda gave up on him after a moment, because uh.

Yeah.

Then combat ensues. I brace for the inevitable, checking the combat logs to see how this poor bastard is faring.

I see this.

I unpause.

Then I see this.

I check the logs again.

What?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57024 on: December 24, 2022, 07:07:19 pm »

Also, there's no linux build for neither steam nor classic :( I did know that the steam release wasn't going to immediately support linux, but I was under the impression that the classic release was going to keep its linux support.)

It's the same game. Classic is Steam, it's all the same thing. Just with absolutely ridiculous marketing all over in it trying to convince you otherwise.

There is no Linix version of this game because no-one has yet made a Linux version of this game. Nothing has been "taken away" it never existed.

47.05 has a Linux version because volunteers assisted in making a Linux port. Now that money is involved people will have to be paid to do it for 50.0x (which is not the same game as 47.05).

This is not true. There have been Linux versions for ages. http://bay12games.com/dwarves/older_versions.html

I currently have 44.12 installed on my Linux system.

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57025 on: December 24, 2022, 07:56:54 pm »

So today, I got attacked by a titan for the first time. Specifically, a giant scorpion...
It gets better.  Not only is that child a historical figure that can be viewed in legends, his raccoon figurine is a named object as well.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57026 on: December 24, 2022, 10:04:03 pm »

What?

TRULY HE WEARS THE BEARD OF A DWARF FULL-GROWN
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

LuuBluum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57027 on: December 25, 2022, 01:21:18 am »

I have come to the startling conclusion that carving out an entire city underground in Roman-esque architecture is way too much work and results in a fortress that takes utterly forever to get anywhere. An entire season goes by, if not two, for even a single facility to be set up.

I shall start my fortress again from the top (same embark, just loaded after the initial dig-out-the-main-entrance part rather than where I went wild and dug out a gigantic cavern with buildings that are just way too big) and figure out another fortress design approach. I think the one I did prior to the Steam release, where I was testing the overall Steam functionality, was a "haphazard fortress" approach where I just... shove whatever I can, wherever I can. Maybe I'll run with that again. Or, now that it seems that the first level of the caverns are much more hospitable (and I can wall off the edges), I'll just carve my fortress into the walls of the caverns themselves. That seems much more convenient.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2022, 01:32:26 am by LuuBluum »

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #57028 on: December 25, 2022, 01:45:58 am »

Classic is Steam, it's all the same thing. Just with absolutely ridiculous marketing all over in it trying to convince you otherwise.

Is there somewhere the Adamses weren't perfectly clear about this? I haven't seen anything trying to mislead people about how the branch thing works, and it was clearly laid out when the idea was first announced. I don't see any of the marketing you're talking about, just marketing about how 50.0x differs from .47.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57029 on: December 25, 2022, 02:08:39 am »

Today my fortress was attacked by a minotaur. 345 years old with six kills to his name, very good stats and skills to go with a title. He pounced upon some poor guest of the fortress tavern: a hammerdwarf on his way to parts unknown. I hoped that the hammerdwarf would injure the invader, maybe even kill it, but no dice; he got his teeth punched out and quickly torn to shreds without landing a single hit.

Of course while this was going on I was calling my meager eight-dwarf militia to arms, intending to station them just outside the drawbridge into the fortress (hoping I could pull the lever and lock the beast out if it looked as if it would prevail). Only one woman, a legendary bonecarver but merely competent swordsdwarf, made it to the rally point before the minotaur was upon us, but she engaged anyway.

At first it looked like she'd go the way of the unfortunate hammerdwarf; a couple of gores from minotaur horns tore her left arm up and made her drop her buckler, and several lesser wounds were inflicted. But then, she managed to score a hit with her exceptional steel short-sword! Many nerves were severed! It didn't stop the minotaur but it did seem to disrupt his momentum. My swordsdwarf parried a few attacks and struck back with a vengeance, severing a leg and mangling a kidney. At this point the minotaur was terrified, it clearly understood that its time was coming to an end. Its terror was short-lived, for a final blow decapitated the beast. The fortress would stand firm another day.

I didn't realize this before, but when checking on the swordsdwarf I noticed that the minotaur was not her first kill! Like the minotaur, she had six kills to her name and picked up a seventh. May she win many more.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3800 3801 [3802] 3803 3804 ... 3842