Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3799 3800 [3801] 3802 3803 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6118323 times)

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #57000 on: December 19, 2022, 10:12:04 am »

When I started we were at peace with the goblins. I decided to raid one of their sites. It went tits up and it turned into pillaging. Then they went to war with my civ and conquered my capital with over 10,000 dwarves in it. I didn't get significant migrant waves for years and was constantly fighting off their sieges. I slowly trained my legion of monk-dwarves to become master unarmed fighters and started picking off their weak sites. Then I eventually sent a legion of 60 steel-clad, master fighters to my occupied capital and retook it, 60 to over 10,000. Now my civ has sent out over 4,000 dwarves from the capital to fight the goblins. They have taken over the goblin capital and most of their sites. I kept digging down until I found the sideshows, but I let two of the clowns out. My unarmed fighters just couldn't deal enough damage to kill both of them, but one of my war dogs actually killed one of them. A forgotten beast came up from the depths to fight the surviving clown as my fortress was falling, and it too died. The fortress ended as over a hundred war dogs attempted to defend the last resident of my fortress, a baby, from the surviving clown.
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

HMD Majesty

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes dwarfs for their stupidity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57001 on: December 19, 2022, 03:27:34 pm »

And here We were feeling impressed that one of Our dwarfs spontaneously handed an Anaconda Attack.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57002 on: December 19, 2022, 07:58:22 pm »

I once had a dwarf singlehandedly take down a web spitting FB.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #57003 on: December 19, 2022, 08:14:23 pm »

Echidnas seem to be the ultimate distraction, ether for the good of the fort or its downfall.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57004 on: December 20, 2022, 03:38:30 am »

Echidnas seem to be the ultimate distraction, ether for the good of the fort or its downfall.
They truly are a terrifying force of evil.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #57005 on: December 20, 2022, 11:20:28 am »

God gives his funniest clowns to his most rolled up echidna corpses

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #57006 on: December 20, 2022, 08:02:03 pm »

Zombie echidnas know da' wey.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #57007 on: December 20, 2022, 08:47:40 pm »

The Great Migration has begun. Stockpiles are being moved down to the main fort.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57008 on: December 21, 2022, 01:34:56 pm »

i am imagining that scene from star wars the phantom menace with the roller droids vs. Obi Wan, except its 12 fleshy spiked balls thundering down into the steaming slade and hundreds of demons letting out a collective, "nope."

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57009 on: December 21, 2022, 03:21:53 pm »

Last couple of play sessions I engaged in heretical chronomancy (minor savescumming) after a lone werelizard made a mess of my 65-dwarf fortress, in the face of a player completely inexperienced with werecreatures.

Second session had the werelizard controlled with quick burrow assignments and the loss of only two kids caught outside when the drawbridge came up. A stray llama which survived an encounter with the beast was butchered, to be safe. I feared the meat infecting dwarves still, but that didn't seem to happen. Werecreatures suck.

But I still went back in time due to a failed reservoir project which claimed the lives of a miner and her baby. I was more concerned about the unseemly, flooded mess that was left behind than the dead.

Next time I'll have the burrows ready ahead of time, children banned from going outside, allow the werelizard to come and go away in his scrawny goblin real self, and face new projects with greater care.

Also establish a corps of guardsdwarves to track down an elusive vampire who's been snacking on hapless, occasionally useful citizens with impunity. It might even be the damn mayor.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57010 on: December 21, 2022, 09:52:08 pm »

Created a fresh world in the Steam version after losing my last few forts to crashes, and was immediately intrigued reading through Legends mode by the story of a skinless lizard demon named Akath who, after being accidentally freed from the Underworld by dwarf miners at the fortress of Glazeriddles, conquered the settlement with the aid of his goblin legions and stole a number of dwarven artifacts for himself (most notably Bravesparkled, an iron short sword with which he later went on to kill over fifty).

Shortly thereafter, I decided to start a new fort within marching distance of Glazeriddles, with the long-term goal of assembling a military big and skilled enough to defeat Akath, retake the settlement, and recover The Modest Pick's treasures.
Just embarked earlier today, I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.

EDIT: Expect this might be made more complicated by the various newfound military bugs I'm coming to learn about, but I'm still dedicated to the mission!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2022, 07:03:46 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

feorh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57011 on: December 22, 2022, 12:14:38 am »

I had a terrible werebeast  invasion: the monster was coming from the edge of the screen and as she entered my fort the full moon waned. Unfortunately for her...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #57012 on: December 22, 2022, 01:45:22 pm »

I opened the game and turned classic mode on, now i have no idea what's going on

This has never happened to me before
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57013 on: December 22, 2022, 04:56:58 pm »

Feeling cocky, I decided to embark in an evil hellzone by a tower so that I could fight the undead.

They wiped the floor with me and I learned not to underestimate them.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57014 on: December 22, 2022, 07:28:14 pm »

It's the 39th year of Gravearmor.
Population is now 368 after a few unfortunate mining and dumping fatalities.
We've just had the first baby born to a dwarf that was born here to parents from the 9th migration wave in the 3rd year.
Unfortunately, Sarvesh the Captain of the Guard is now the only survivor of the original 7 founders.
Construction continues, expanding the huge cavern areas.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.
Pages: 1 ... 3799 3800 [3801] 3802 3803 ... 3842