Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3521 3522 [3523] 3524 3525 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107165 times)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52830 on: September 30, 2018, 11:16:53 am »

Several years have past with no sign of the 8000+ goblins. I check and there is only about 30 pop in the dark fortress. Legends mode reveals they rebelled verse their chameleon brute leader and died or fled. Curses!!
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52831 on: September 30, 2018, 11:48:30 am »

Staring at a patch of ground where one of my weapon trap lines is, and I notice a bag, and a trail of blood...

A goblin snatcher must be in the area... but where ?

A squad is dispatched to the area, following the trail of blood, but it peters out, and no corpse has yet been found...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52832 on: September 30, 2018, 12:23:11 pm »

Staring at a patch of ground where one of my weapon trap lines is, and I notice a bag, and a trail of blood...

A goblin snatcher must be in the area... but where ?

A squad is dispatched to the area, following the trail of blood, but it peters out, and no corpse has yet been found...
Keas...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52833 on: September 30, 2018, 05:27:32 pm »

Raided my previous fortress to kick-start my new fortress museum. Three fine dorven artifacts grabbed.

Was a bit of a risk sending 3 mostly naked soldiers to a Dwarf fortress rumoured to have 300 inhabitants. Luckily I happen to know that the real population is 12 terrified farmers and a couple of walled-up werebeasts. The rest are scattered around the site in many pieces.

Having trouble actually getting artifacts to the museum pedestals now though due to Missing/destroyed item spam.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52834 on: September 30, 2018, 10:40:44 pm »

For the first time in many many updates, I made a 10-level deep moat (not unusual) with a system to bring any invaders in the bottom a nice shower of magma.
Then the elves brought a tiger, which is now a war animal. I may not burn them all, after all.
Aside from that, my dorfs (and I) occasionally sit around bemused over the way bolts are glitching through the range's catch into the mine below.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52835 on: September 30, 2018, 11:42:30 pm »

For the first time in many many updates, I made a 10-level deep moat (not unusual) with a system to bring any invaders in the bottom a nice shower of magma.
Then the elves brought a tiger, which is now a war animal. I may not burn them all, after all.
Aside from that, my dorfs (and I) occasionally sit around bemused over the way bolts are glitching through the range's catch into the mine below.

When I send my shooters out to (unsuccessfully) kill keas, I always end up with bolts all over my surface-1 underground animal dens. The ground is not very reliable in this game.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52836 on: October 01, 2018, 08:50:27 am »

The siege is ended, !!FUN!! may have begun.

After their fight with the elves the goblins came right at us, well after several dozen of them got stuck in a loop of falling a mostly harmless one zlevel onto sand and walking back out thanks the unfinished pit trap. Shouldn't have put the bait animal in before the kill switch was ready.. Anyway they came at us working their way through the traps, at the end I saw they'd had enough and were starting to retreat. I chose to send the military to finish the job. This was a mistake.

They chased down the fleeing survivors and dispatched them, inuring only minor injuries. Unfortunately they did battle on top of about a hundred corpses, mostly elves. The dwarves are doing fine of course but my human population seems to have been stricken mad. One wandered the corpse field aimlessly, my captain of the guard is sitting in the foot bath near the waterfall, one of the former bards is not far from him staring into space which I've never even seen before and don't know if he'll come back from. Many of the dwarves and goblins are also already stressed they will not tolerate tantrums well.

Annd now I have fire breathing monstrosities arriving near simultaneously from above and below..a..oh look a fire in the main workshops, and the animal area too. Can thrown fireballs glitch through walls and/or ceilings? The fire is now raging the rhinos are melting, masterworks are burning, the outpost liaison his hand already crushed to gore by an earlier FB and possessed before he could be treated labors in the flames with grease pouring from his upper body to make a scepter out of feather wood and raw candy, I see no reason to delay getting that wall up.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52837 on: October 01, 2018, 09:13:46 am »

Dragonfire can definitely set things on fire on the other side of walls. Grass under buildings can still burn too. Trees can collapse in fire and bring it to your farms right under surface.

Hopefully the fire destroys the corpses.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52838 on: October 01, 2018, 01:40:52 pm »

Dragonfire can definitely set things on fire on the other side of walls. Grass under buildings can still burn too. Trees can collapse in fire and bring it to your farms right under surface.

Did not know this, that belongs in one of the neat facts threads for sure.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52839 on: October 01, 2018, 02:33:31 pm »

It definitely wasn't trees, this fort has used wildfires as part of it's defense and I learned to keep the area above where we dug out, the main workshops, free of trees. It happened after I saved for the night and loaded in the morning and I've seen fire do weird things when doing a fresh load. Never on fire body parts from creatures which were killed by a firebreather but had parts ripped off so that some burned and some didn't spontaneously igniting on a load, that sort of thing.

Either there was something that did that in my animal stockpile or maybe I saved and loaded when a fireball was in flight and it glitched through the roof.

The fire destroyed about half the corpses, but that's ok because another goblin siege arrived to replace them for us. I'm returning them the favor by treating the survivors to a stay at our lovely temple build specially for our more temperamental guests in the company of any of their fallen brethren we can gather to join them. They can work out their emotional issues on any of our support statues.

Thinking about abusing cage traps just for fun and capturing an entire siege, turning as many as I can into vampires and werebeasts and releasing them into the wild.

《monty》

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52840 on: October 01, 2018, 02:41:59 pm »

Three (3) legendary bowyers in my first three migrant waves - my crossbow corps is gonna be murderous.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52841 on: October 01, 2018, 04:55:53 pm »

Three (3) legendary bowyers in my first three migrant waves - my crossbow corps is gonna be murderous.

Don't you love the mountainhomes? I read on the wiki somewhere that forts are supposed to get migrants the game thinks you need.

What do I get? Legendary stonecrafters (last three forts!). Hunters and peasants with trashy attributes--these turn into raiders nowadays.

Also, I get fish dissectors. I don't even have 800 fish like my last fort, but they keep sending novice fish dissectors. "Armok!" shouts the King. "Shad, shad, pond turtle, and shad roast again? I don't ever want to see another fish. Send away anyone who says they can fish, and anyone who looks like a fish! Yes, fine, send them ALL to the new place, I don't care." They're keeping all their armorers, weaponcrafters, glass-makers, masons, soldiers, leatherworkers, and haberdashers. I did get a skilled gemcutter and a skilled gemsetter--I threw them in a bedroom beside my OTHER legendary gemcutter.

Okay, sure, I don't actually need anyone or anything. But aren't there some swordsdwarves or something they don't need? I guess I'll start banishing useless migrants to the hillocks.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52842 on: October 01, 2018, 05:04:01 pm »

By the time the next migrant wave arrives, all your fish dissectors could be competent carpenters. Profession doesn't actually mean anything beyond "highest skill"....

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52843 on: October 02, 2018, 05:06:23 am »

By the time the next migrant wave arrives, all your fish dissectors could be competent carpenters. Profession doesn't actually mean anything beyond "highest skill"....
Just like real immigrants! "You were architect before? Well, now you haul food. Go work."

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52844 on: October 02, 2018, 09:48:39 am »

The fortress is doing well enough I can actually spend time on roads!
The dwarves and humans (which arrive near the same spot anyway) get a road of marble, lined with gold.
The elves get one made of logs.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.
Pages: 1 ... 3521 3522 [3523] 3524 3525 ... 3842