Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3523 3524 [3525] 3526 3527 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958648 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52860 on: October 10, 2018, 08:22:58 am »

So Thralling clouds don't always start at the map edge, apparently.

It came right in the centre of my walls, and thralled four of the starting seven. I'd had the foresight to put hatches on the stairs leading down, so now my three Dwarves are carving a life for themselves below the frozen wastes where walk the corpses of their comrades.

Also, three migrant waves so far butchered. And quite a few bards/mercenaries.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Etc_Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52861 on: October 10, 2018, 10:23:01 am »

My fort is on an island to try and get a fortress off the ground without the help of goblins and elves. While building my fort and growing food, some rhinoceroses look at my entrance. Domesticating wild animals is something I always wanted to do in Dwarf Fortress. If I can capture a male and female rhinoceros and start breeding them, will my civ be able to bring them on a new embark? Do I have to ship some tame ones with the merchants before I can use them in a new fortress?

Bringing rhinos to use in defense could be fun to watch. Too bad I don't see giant rhinos....  :(

EDIT: On the mainland to the north there is a mountain named 'The Inconsiderate Finger'. It must be flipping the bird to everyone that sees it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 12:46:11 pm by Etc_Guy »

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52862 on: October 10, 2018, 02:40:38 pm »

Forgotten beast update: The flaxen-haired thirps's name is Simo, so they're not beautiful "nordic" locks but instead beautiful "finnish" locks, I guess. I dunno how that works, me dum American.

I've also got a second one running around down there, but it's just some boring-ass firebreathing dinosaur. Hasn't even breathed any fire yet but already all the fat is melted out of its body. Come to think of it, that might've happened when it decided to swim through the magma.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52863 on: October 13, 2018, 01:48:06 am »

A visiting bard shared a rumour from abroad, then drank themselves to death in the tavern.  ???

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52864 on: October 13, 2018, 05:42:26 am »

Several of my military citizens seem to have formed relationships and got married whilst away on a mission.  ???

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52865 on: October 13, 2018, 06:47:09 am »

Dark Elf ambush right by the main  entrance. Killed some animals, a few dorfs, injured half the military severely before we drove them off. Clean-up took a while (corpse pile is hidden in a deep hole). Serious lack of coffins.

For a while my fortress was full of flashing red arrows. All those uneasy thoughts about dead elves littering the entrance stacking up. One peasant tantrummed and got himself kicked in the head by an irate farmer, he died of a smashed neck in hospital. We're into the terminal stress breakdown cycle the forums are talking about. No Dfhack to help me out today. The end is nigh...

... except now it's not. A couple of months have passed, several dances were held (dorfs actually played instruments - yay) and now everyone seems to have recovered without me doing much at all in the way of stress management. There are one or two who are still flashing with long term stress, but there always is, isn't there?

All in all, quite satisfactory. Not the landslide of unrecoverable stress and mass exile I was expecting. Gotta remember to rebuild my military before the next attack...

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52866 on: October 13, 2018, 08:08:39 am »

There once was a dwarf named Tun (egershakilmablenablesomething), he was married, had ten children and was a fisherman. He arrived to the fort and was told: "No! Thou shalt be a farmer!" This made Tun very sad, he moped and cried for a year but his wife and children were happy and joyous while living in the fortress. One day, Tun got mad. Really mad. Tun walked down the hall and beat the teeth out of a fellow dwarf, now the overseer failed to notice and Tun took to beating 20+ dwarves in a fortress of 50. One day the overseer finally noticed because the same name kept coming up: Tun, Tun, Tun. For a year he had been beating up dwarves at random and the overseer decided enough was enough. The feeble bodied hammerer (who is also the captain of the guard later on) was ordered to seek out the trouble maker and bring him to justice.

Indeed she did. For MONTHS she doled out his punishment one beating at a time before leaving to "get a drink." The now captain of the guard who is always thoroughly sloshed is Tun's older sister and has done the following to him:
Broken bones, knocked ALL his teeth out, reduced him to crawling on the floor for months, one legged, one armed hop-along jack.

Turns out Tun has been beating up his RELATIVES. So the overseer checked his wife. His wife was happy. A criminal had been punished. Tun's wife sat in the back row while he was publicly flogged 20+ times with a fist in the air going "woo!"

Tun committed suicide a year later. His wife is happy. His children are happy. His relatives are happy.

The End.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52867 on: October 13, 2018, 10:46:43 am »

Spoiler: vekar's story (click to show/hide)

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52868 on: October 13, 2018, 12:13:58 pm »

Spoiler: vekar's story (click to show/hide)

It's underground, of course it's dark.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52869 on: October 13, 2018, 03:23:20 pm »

Forgotten beast update: The flaxen-haired thirps's name is Simo, so they're not beautiful "nordic" locks but instead beautiful "finnish" locks, I guess. I dunno how that works, me dum American.

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are Scandinavian. The Nordic countries are those three plus Finland. Nobody outside of Finland understands why the Nordic/Scandinavian distinction is important, but it is important to the Finns.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #52870 on: October 13, 2018, 10:43:14 pm »

It's mainly a geographical distinction, though there's also the long history of wars, pillagings and conquerings (Europeans are great at getting along), which Finland has been on the losing end of in the past.

@vekar: Your wife cheering while your sister publicly breaks you into paraplegic....After you've been assaulting everyone you're close to.

Jeez, I've seen Trolls having nicer relationship with fortress than Tun.

@Kat: Hm, that seems useful. Any cases of two-timing (having a lover and spouse at the same time)?

vekar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52871 on: October 14, 2018, 05:40:35 am »

Fleeting and Duna: I know, havent had anything this interesting happen in DF for a long while, actually really boring anymore but thought I would share this. Neither did it stop me from laughing like an evil maniac when all the pieces fell into place in the end.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52872 on: October 14, 2018, 06:10:52 am »

@Kat: Hm, that seems useful. Any cases of two-timing (having a lover and spouse at the same time)?

Did some digging, and I'm not sure if that's what actually happened, though I was pretty sure that most of my militia citizens were unmarried. Though now more of them are married, which I noticed when I had to re-allocate rooms when they returned. So, maybe a false observation.

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52873 on: October 14, 2018, 02:25:48 pm »

I had my first Justice happen in my tavern the other day. A human started fights with some folks. Didn't even end up sending anyone to the hospital zone. I convicted him of the first few counts, and he continued to try to pick fights even while the captain was thrashing him. Trying to thrash him. I didn't think the captain was supposed to be using lethal combat for a beating, but I'm sure I saw him bite some human teeth out.

Meanwhile, Dwarven Justice is totally fine with the literal pools of blood the taverngoers have been wallowing in since Spring. Some visitor speardwarf somehow pissed off a human maceman and his entire band of marksdwarves. This maceman's shooters would just pop their heads in the tavern, take a shot at the speardwarf, and duck back out. Blood everywhere. Blood and those little "broken bolt" marks, because they were actually very poor shots. Ugly. Eventually the fight spilled out into the fields, and even though the maceman had every single tooth in his head knocked out, the speardwarf was eventually killed. Filled an entire refuse stockpile with man-teeth, laid out like someone was trying to grow man-tooth-trees. Teeth, of course, can't fit in a bin. Idiot dwarves.

That whole maceman/speardwarf mess took like two seasons to resolve itself. While that was all going on, I very regretfully had to evacuate the tavernkeeper and all booze from the tavern. I don't mind the fights, but dwarves and elves kept trying to escape the fort by drinking themselves to death. Sorry gents, but it won't be THAT easy.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #52874 on: October 14, 2018, 02:44:36 pm »

Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are Scandinavian. The Nordic countries are those three plus Finland. Nobody outside of Finland understands why the Nordic/Scandinavian distinction is important, but it is important to the Finns.

you just made all the icelanders sad :(
Pages: 1 ... 3523 3524 [3525] 3526 3527 ... 3838