Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3522 3523 [3524] 3525 3526 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5958649 times)

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #52845 on: October 02, 2018, 11:48:32 am »

I've got a dozen polar bear men, captured. Thinking about releasing them against the next FB

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52846 on: October 02, 2018, 01:33:18 pm »

Sunburden was inspired first by The Night Watch (Game of Thrones) where a freezing embark with a northern evil area. 
Although untested (yet) if the north area reanimates, there is plenty of small zombie animals roaming: undead coati, undead ravens, etc.

And then the inspiration focus on the discussion on Dwarven Psyche simply because we are building above ground, as well as digging pits and covering with roofs so it is "above ground" while below. 

Kobolds show up, and so focus went to a scheme to capture said kobolds via a maze of tunnel and manual bridge locking.  Captured a pair, male a female.  Unfortuately, a scheme to put 1 nestbox in the enclosed mini-dungeon does not seem to make the kobold pair lay eggs.

A weresloth came, and was caged trapped in a long tunnel + distraction bait + long tunnel full of cage traps.  A 2nd were sloth was also capture some seasons later.

As for undead, only 1 undead coati has been caged trapped.  The rest were pummeled to death with head punch or kicks.  Just small undead animals no match for the dwarfs.

Since the pair of kobolds were boring, a scheme to release the male kobold and a weresloth in a confined circuitous maze was set. 

A few hours before the fullmoon sets, The Human Egu Nemenadi, a weresloth, was released in the circuit maze where the kobold thief (male), Chililifraykus (Chili for short).  Chili was bitten by the weresloth Egu, tearing muscles on the neck. 

After some blood spill, more hatches were unlocked to increase the maze and give Chili a chance to escape.  Chilli ran like a maniac, and kept running despite Egu transforming back as a friendly human and eventually recaptured via cage traps. 

On the fullmoon of mid-summer 202, Chililifrykus transformed to a weresloth thief.

Now, the focus of Sunburden is inspired by Secure - Protect - Contain stuff. 

A military is also being established.  There is a cave nearby, a civilization of Kobolds. Should Chili be released back in the wilds?

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52847 on: October 02, 2018, 01:52:12 pm »

On the fullmoon of mid-summer 202, Chililifrykus transformed to a weresloth thief.

There is a cave nearby, a civilization of Kobolds. Should Chili be released back in the wilds?

I'm working on the very same concept with invading goblins but I don't have a suitable weresubject yet. I vote yes, and let us know if it goes back home or wanders the wilds.

I've never had much luck trapping kobolds do you have any advice?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52848 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:13 pm »

I've never had much luck trapping kobolds do you have any advice?

I build above ground, and have hatch entrances in the north, south, west, east . 
Note the location where they came from first time they show up

Let's say from the west.  I then excavate a 3-wide tunnel upto 10 tiles away from map edge. 
The tunnel would be 2z below the surface to avoid holes just in case trees are chopped. 

Raising bridges on the ends to start.  Mid-way, make a side path, also raising bridge locked.  Stockpile 3x3 finished goods trinket without bin for bait. 

And an alarm, a pastured animal (piglet) above with grate looking down at the loot pile.  The long path should give enough time to pull levers to seal the entire west tunnel.  Then begin to dig a path to it's "dungeon" and use of bridge locks.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52849 on: October 02, 2018, 02:10:39 pm »

Most kobolds seem to be noticed by my wood haulers, so I would suggest that any capture system starts by luring the kobolds away from areas with heavy dwarf traffic.

Edit: And this is a lesson in knowing which foods need to be "processed" before eating...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 01:35:47 pm by anewaname »
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Hiarhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52850 on: October 03, 2018, 02:15:47 pm »

I just had a werebeast attack that helped me by saving me time effort and uncertainty.

I've been converting my least stress tolerant/oldest mortal citizens into werebeasts and vampires. I sent a goblin wrestler candidate out to kill a cougar hanging around the entrance to see if it improved his mood enough to spare him conversion. As soon as he stepped out of the entrance he spotted a stealth weremammoth.

I ordered my goblin wrestler to engage the creature in hand to hand combat as the gates locked behind him. A fierce battle ensued with the goblin punching kicking and biting the weremammoth for twenty log pages before the beast grabbed his leg and twisted his hip like a wishbone. Then he bit him just before the goblin was accidentally thrown into the sky by a closing bridge.

The distracted weremammoth made for my now complete drowning pit trap which it could not trigger while the goblin dragged himself after it. I took the chance to seal more bridges in my partially completed labyrinth and trapped both of them safely. The weremammoth turned into an elf and fell into the empty pit and the goblin is contained inside the military chokepoint. With almost no effort on my part, I just got two more easily containable weremammoths.

Dozebôm Lolumzalěs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #52851 on: October 03, 2018, 09:44:18 pm »

[...]

Now, the focus of Sunburden is inspired by Secure - Protect - Contain stuff. 

A military is also being established.  There is a cave nearby, a civilization of Kobolds. Should Chili be released back in the wilds?
Of course not. The Foundation would never release something like that without a very good reason. If you do that, you resemble the Chaos Initiative more than the Foundation in my opinion.

Not that there's any problem with that.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #52852 on: October 05, 2018, 12:41:43 pm »

I finally used successfully a double slit method and went through an aquifer.
I...I am not as retarded as I thought

Justin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52853 on: October 05, 2018, 03:33:14 pm »

I finally used successfully a double slit method and went through an aquifer.
I...I am not as retarded as I thought
Congratulations!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52854 on: October 05, 2018, 06:55:04 pm »

Dear Diary,

Fingers crossed, tomorrow we begin pumping the brook dry so we can install the dam for the water wheel project. I don't understand it, there's only three pumps and it looks like our little stream is four wide, but Deduk says it will work. She's very confident. Do you remember how sure she was that her first plan would work? Well, the wheels are still motionless and now she says we have to build a dam to keep up the water level. I know the old culture was handed down that its bad luck to doubt your leader and all, but sometimes I worry that Deduk spends too much time up in the library by herself. I mean, we've all read our only book and I can tell you there's nothing about dams or water power in it. Maybe peasants aren't cut out for big ideas, but I worry whether Deduk's are a little too big? It was her idea to have a fancy pump project in the first place. Still, things are slowly getting into shape around here. It's been hard work with so few hands, but Thîkut and me thought the dwarves were good as dead until we heard about this place. No, still no little ones on account of hardly seeing each other between jobs; and yes, there's still no roof over most of the third floor of the stockade; but even with Deduk's crazy schemes, though, I'm still feeling like we're really getting somewhere. Isn't it strange how you can be so worried about the thing you're doing right now but the future is still full of hope? Tomorrow is Magic, dear Diary. But first it's going to be a hella lotta pumping.

Ral

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52855 on: October 06, 2018, 03:38:32 am »

A visiting scholar has arrived, to study in the Library.

I'm going to ignore the fact that they arrived completely naked.

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52856 on: October 06, 2018, 12:27:24 pm »

A visiting poet has died of suffocation in the tavern.

I guess the audience was unappreciative, and the poet drank themselves to death.  ???

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52857 on: October 06, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »

A visiting scholar has arrived, to study in the Library.

I'm going to ignore the fact that they arrived completely naked.
A visiting poet has died of suffocation in the tavern.

I guess the audience was unappreciative, and the poet drank themselves to death.  ???
S... Socrates?

Is that you?

Kat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52858 on: October 06, 2018, 04:29:08 pm »

A group of ten nude poets have now shown up, petitioning to be allowed residency, to entertain citizens and visitors.

Well.... alright then...  :-\

Senator Jim Death

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52859 on: October 09, 2018, 09:58:26 pm »

Current forgotten beast: an enormous, web-shooting thrips with long, wavy flaxen hair.

... I keep wondering if it uses its webs to style its beautiful nordic locks.
If it's not trying to be fun, it's not trying to be a video game.
Pages: 1 ... 3522 3523 [3524] 3525 3526 ... 3838