Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3399 3400 [3401] 3402 3403 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099523 times)

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #51000 on: November 26, 2017, 02:21:46 pm »

Two of my dwarfs are on fire and I don't know why.

Not that this seems to bother them any...?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

YHVH

• Bay Watcher
  • Batshit Insane God
    • View Profile
« Reply #51001 on: November 26, 2017, 03:26:39 pm »

Two of my dwarfs are on fire and I don't know why.

Not that this seems to bother them any...?
Just a normal day in a fort.
So, now I have a moat filled with magma AND patrolled by ghosts. It is quite nice actually.

se05239

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51002 on: November 26, 2017, 03:39:46 pm »

An Elf Prophet is visiting my fledgling fortress. Sadly, I am a bit rusty, and haven't been quick enough to provide visitor accomodations. I do wonder though, will he spread his beliefs, and convert my dwarves?
Probably an elven spy.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #51003 on: November 26, 2017, 04:28:53 pm »

Monster Slayers keep showing up, petitioning for residency and proceed to go hang out in my caverns. I'm not really complaining, though. My military isn't quite trained up yet.

Also a Minotaur showed up. He's just been chillin on the edge of the map, occasionally murdering a swan. Guess I'll just set up some cage traps and keep an eye on him.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51004 on: November 26, 2017, 05:55:49 pm »

Finally have two taverns opened up - One overland more to serve as an above ground meeting area, the other below in the usual dining hall space, thi connected with some small rooms for long-term visitors. A second squad has also been set up, and I intend to train them up for a minor raid on a supposedly goblin controlled cave and perhaps a minor elven retreat, both of which allegedly hold artifacts.

The militia is more or less fully equipped in light armor - plate boots and gauntlets to protect thier most critical bits, hauberks and upper mail britches, and salette helms, plus a leather jerkin for additional impact absorption, with copper shields, as my iron is limited to importation. There's also a ranged squad, though poorly equipped with only thier siege crossbows right now.

So far, a few artifacts have been produced, one of which and the first, was an iron tower shield which the colonel is using.

I'm just glad people quit vomiting everywhere thanks to the overland meeting area.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51005 on: November 26, 2017, 06:06:23 pm »

Booted up an old save, there was a goblin invasion outside. Ordered my squad to charge. Seven uninjured, two flesh wounds, one retirement wound. Not bad.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51006 on: November 26, 2017, 06:44:36 pm »

Decided to be "nice" this time around and gave the elves some lead coins for some clay - Virtually worthless, of course, for equally worthless material. I also purchased a wolf and a wombat, plus thier drink, using bone and horn goods, and then offered them some wood.

I think that might make the point clear to them. If that doesn't the future raid will.

EDIT: Another werehorse. Here goes nothing!

SILVER DOORS, I CHOOSE YOU!

EDIT II: Once the militia stormed out through the back door, the civilians turned and tried to fight, save one dude who was being ripped to pieces because out of everyone he was the one idiot who wasn't running away from the werehorse, but towards it before the militia came out to fight - by some miracle, he survived, and is now functionally dead to us, being walled into the hospital because unlike the other casualty, he couldn't do us a fucking favor and die of blood loss after his skin was torn by a bite. So he'll inevitably turn once the next month rolls around and forever after.

I've listed both as "Civil Hero" as neither one was expected to try and stand and fight, but did so anyway and are now dead to the fortress (or at least functionally so in one case.) I'm a bit at a loss, because after his turning, he'll be fully functional again, but I can't let him continue about the fortress without him murdering half the population the following month.

I suppose all I can really do is have a squad on standby right outside the door next month; the iron armor they have did its job and deflected the bites from the progenitor horse.

EDIT III: And a siege comes! Kinda. Based on the force composition they seem more like a small group of brigands, though supposedly they're goblin nation troops. Hell, might just be a gaggle of bumblefucks who just happen to be from there.

And it gets better!  Some of the fighters have instruments. They brought fucking battlefield musicians.  :P

EDIT IV: As expected, this half armed rabble of musicians and pickpockets didn't stand a fuck of a chance. Only one fighter survived, and that was because of his conspicuously staying veeeery far behind everyone else. Almost like he expected them all to get slaughtered. Only casualty was a baby, the loss not to enemy weapons, but a goblin who dove to the rescue of a human (and got his leg cut in half down the middle for it) and knocked the mother into a pond, whereupon the child drowned, being left behind by the mother who had a goblin to violently stab to death with her bardiche.

I'll have to wait until winter to recover the bodies of the child and a fisherdwarf who died this spring, and the guy who died in the werehorse attack still needs to be buried. Most Fun I've had in a while, even if two deaths were accidental.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51007 on: November 26, 2017, 09:18:10 pm »

4 visitors, all monster hunters that didn't showed up as monster hunters, and made petitions. All have skills like "competent swordsman, novice everything else, great gem setter", impossible to assign them to squad. In 2 years before joining the fort they will forgot that little they knew.  ::) Do they even do anything now?
I have had like half a dozen. I opened the caverns, five promptly entered. One was immediately torn to pieces by a Troll. The others just ran around ignoring the troll. The troll destroyed their base (I'd made a dorm for them) and then walked off. The others died of thirst, despite being in a cavern full of a water and having a bunch of booze in barrels in their dorm. So they all have empty coffins (not going into the cavern after them with a 1 crossbowdwarf militia, that troll would eat him for lunch) and memorial stones.

I'm still getting lots of petitions to be monster slayers, and I might let the most recent bunch go get themselves killed, but they seem to be pretty useless.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51008 on: November 26, 2017, 09:47:30 pm »

Dealt with the werehorse problem. Turns out silver nuggets make for a very effective improvised bludgeon. Channeled the roof out of his cell after the moon had passed, and had a handful of silver nuggets get thrown down on him, one eventually crushing the sleeping dorf's body.

Not exactly a good thing to need to murder dwarves via rockfalls, but eh.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51009 on: November 27, 2017, 12:55:28 am »

4 visitors, all monster hunters that didn't showed up as monster hunters, and made petitions. All have skills like "competent swordsman, novice everything else, great gem setter", impossible to assign them to squad. In 2 years before joining the fort they will forgot that little they knew.  ::) Do they even do anything now?
I have had like half a dozen. I opened the caverns, five promptly entered. One was immediately torn to pieces by a Troll. The others just ran around ignoring the troll. The troll destroyed their base (I'd made a dorm for them) and then walked off. The others died of thirst, despite being in a cavern full of a water and having a bunch of booze in barrels in their dorm. So they all have empty coffins (not going into the cavern after them with a 1 crossbowdwarf militia, that troll would eat him for lunch) and memorial stones.

I'm still getting lots of petitions to be monster slayers, and I might let the most recent bunch go get themselves killed, but they seem to be pretty useless.

Useless?

Do they bring their own weaponry?

If not, then yeah, useless.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51010 on: November 27, 2017, 02:24:23 am »

The bookkeeper had me worried for a minute when it said he was unconscious, only for me to find him with a mug and pile of vomit under him - he managed the rare (among dwarves,) feat of having a few too many! Managing to actually drink himself to death! Jeeze man, you'd think narrowly avoiding drowning in your own vomit woulda been the hint to take it easy with the booze for a little bit.

....Hmm. More nauseous dwarves. I SUSPECT THE TAVERN KEEP.

Either way, Bomrek's wife will take over his duties. That way she can keep the room.

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #51011 on: November 27, 2017, 02:46:39 am »

Stupid aquifers!

Undead embark. At least there's no evil rain (yet). Maybe I should just stockpile on wood? It seems that the undead are roaming outside of the undead biome.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #51012 on: November 27, 2017, 02:48:39 am »

Ack! Retired a polar bearman adventurer in my fortress to become the new big dude, loaded up the fort, he's dead on the ground... Apparently we were attacked by an ettin and he was slain, but... He killed one while I was controlling him...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51013 on: November 27, 2017, 03:40:48 am »

A larger goblin force came, and thanks to a misstep with my bridge (turning it into little more than an atomsmasher,) I am now in an unfortunate position.

Quickly, do I risk the fortress to save the one stupid fucker whose crossbow hadn't been made yet and was shot off the side of my keep trying to scale the wall and engage in melee, or do I leave him to his fate?

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51014 on: November 27, 2017, 03:59:46 am »

10 Grey Lemur's were ripped apart by the hands of my civilians. Nobody touches our refuse pile and live to tell the tale.  >:(

It was nice to see how the dwarves could sprint and hit their targets instead of the endless chases in old versions.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: 1 ... 3399 3400 [3401] 3402 3403 ... 3842