Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2924 2925 [2926] 2927 2928 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107874 times)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43875 on: November 13, 2015, 03:56:58 pm »

My game crashed right after a migrant wave and just before the 1 year old kid finished his artifact. :(
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43876 on: November 13, 2015, 04:09:33 pm »

The first clutch of cave crocodile eggs are infertile; how do I check whether or not an animal is fertile again?
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43877 on: November 13, 2015, 05:03:24 pm »

I think fixster has a function for that?

Cathelms is now 10 years old. Mostly that is because it is so self-sufficient at this point that I can just leave it running in the background without watching as long as I lock the doors and it will keep going until a seasonal save or one of the few announcements I left the pause option for like sieges and caravans.

Pop is capped at 30 now, and they're all wearing leather armor/upper chausses (renamed leggings)/high boots for minimal coverage in case I slip on clothing production. I've got close to 2k booze which is way more than they will need for years.

Got a Queen (from the first 7) and my Baron recently became a Duke. Neither makes annoying demands, the queen just likes marble and booze and certain animals, I picked the Duke for the same reason, so they all just hang out and party under a haunted glacier of ultrablue roofiejuice.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and the various siegers that I let get far enough into the fort to get caged.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43878 on: November 13, 2015, 06:52:48 pm »

Tulon Edanoddom, "Tulon Stirredcloisters", Administrator   
She is shaken after suffering a major injury.  She is horrified after being attacked by the dead.  She is afraid after experiencing trauma.  She is terrified while in conflict.  She feels vengeful when joining an existing conflict.  She feels vengeful when joining an existing conflict.  She grieves at somebody's death.  She feels fondness talking with a friend.  Within the last season, she felt humiliated to be uncovered.  She was grouchy eating the same old food.  She was interested near a fine Seat.  She was grouchy drinking the same old booze.  She was irritated when thirsty.  She was embarrassed after sleeping without a proper room.  She didn't feel anything after seeing a donkey die. 
She is romantically involved with Medtob Quakesoul.  She is a worshipper of Rithzâm Sculptedslings the Punch of Jewels and a worshipper of Atír the Torches of Submerging. 
She is a citizen of The Whirling Mountain.  She is a member of The Armor of Justifying.  She arrived at Kathilrigòth on the 15th of Granite in the year 100. 
She is seventy-nine years old, born on the 21st of Felsite in the year 21. 
Her right upper arm is mangled beyond recognition.  Her right lung is bruised.  Her upper body is bruised.  Her right shoulder is mangled beyond recognition. 
---

I was playtesting a challenging embark, with a fat-melting surface temperature, raining human blood, and reanimating biome.  I set up everything pretty well, and had made it to the second migrant wave (aka undead siege), and this is my last citizen alive.  She's about 2 seconds away from being attacked by 3 undead inside the fort.  How?
The ghosts...  a ghost scared someone into falling, or injured them or killed them, and the resulting undead-splosion killed everyone inside.
Kind of interesting to see that even completely sealed off... you're not always safe.  :o

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43879 on: November 14, 2015, 12:29:30 am »

Construction on the moat is nearly complete. This has been a hard strain on my fort, but its worth it to be surrounded mostly by water. I have a squadron of crossbowman and wrestlers ready to defend the fort with their lives, and the kids are happy.

I have yet to find coal...
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43880 on: November 14, 2015, 12:37:12 am »

You should take that and put it in a single dormitory for everyone.

Unfortunately most of miners died in cave-in accidents, so i guess my dwarfs will have to stick to their 4x4 individual bedrooms.

On a more serious note, would that actually work?(in regard to making them think they have a really good bedroom)
Yup.

The penalty for a single tile in a room being shared with another room is that the room value goes down by 75%. This is not cumulative, so if you have an 11*11 room, 22 of it's squares are individual beds for each dwarf,  44 give each dwarf a personal dining room and office,  and the remaining 55 squares have a bunch of weapons racks/chests/etc. for storage each dwarf will think he has three rooms, each with 25% of the value it would have if it was not shared.

So adding a trap with this spike would make each of the hypothetical 22 dwarves convinced that a) his bedroom had a spike trap with a 696,000 spike in it, b) his dining room had a trap with a 696,000 spike in it, and c) his office had a trap with a 696,000 spike in it.

The question would be whether your high nobility could tolerate their commoners having such a beautiful spike.

Polyester

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43881 on: November 14, 2015, 12:46:44 am »

My moat has failed. The walls I have built underground proved to be insufficient in keeping out the water, and my fortress is flooding. I have retired it, hoping that the dwarves may fix it alone.
Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43882 on: November 14, 2015, 08:53:31 am »

One of my butchers went from zero to depressed in practically a fraction of an instant.

How?

See, she arrived recently.  Meanwhile I enabled the option to gather refuse from outside and auto-butcher corpses.  My refuse stockpile is inside, located in a single large room.

My new butcher opens the door only to find a room filled with PILES AND PILES OF BONE AND BLOOD AND GUTS AND MANGLED CORPSES.

The sight hits her like a ton of bricks.

Aaaaaand now I have one depressed dwarf on my hands, two stressed-out ones, and two who are on the verge of losing their minds.  Oops.

Nep Nep

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of Za Warudo
    • View Profile
« Reply #43883 on: November 14, 2015, 12:01:40 pm »

All my dwarves died from undead ravens and I'm doing adventure till it's spring. That was pretty fun, though. Haven't had a challenge like that in months. Also purple wood is really nice looking.
Waluigi rushes to aid him, but not before warning Bowser, "Don't expect mouth-to-mouth!"

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #43884 on: November 14, 2015, 01:24:38 pm »

The Manager Amidalath speaks to the gathered dwarves:

"Thank you all for coming here. We are gathered today in memory of the two dwarves who fell to the dread hydra who came not a month ago, in an attempt to slay us all. Their sacrifice will never be forgotten, but will be honored forever here in these halls.

Remember: be careful, be alert, and don't release deadly beasts in the middle of the fortress. Also: there's nothing wrong with eating hydra meat. It's not poisonous, I had the chief medical dwarf check it, and it sure wasn't sentient. So eat up! Each meal is in fact worth 26 coin. But I'm sure the hard workers here will be able to earn that. Also, there's 128 of it, so don't let it go to waste. Everybody eat some!

And could somebody get rid of the rotting human corpses?"
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43885 on: November 14, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »

Found a sweet embark with chalk, dolomite, iron, coal. Ridiculous amount of trees. Building a castle-style... erm, castle. Working on getting the wall and dry-moat built. Moat's going to have spikes at the bottom with idea that attackers will climb the walls, fall, and get impaled. Even if that doesn't work, it still looks cool. And I haven't seen any embarks in a long time that had dolomite.

Unfortunately, until my OS gets updated, I can't use Unity-based programs(or much of else), which means I can't use Japa's Armok Vision to visualize it.

Shortly after the dwarven caravan passes, like clockwork, one of my dwarves is found drained of all its blood.

...I suspect foul play.  But if my suspect is who I think it is...  Then I can do sweet fuck-all about it.

Generally speaking, finding a dead body in of itself is a strong indicator of foul play. Moreso if there's two fricking huge bite marks on his neck. Just saying. :P
You know, that would be a neat feature(if it isn't already), a vampire among the caravan dwarves.

And now, my bone carver has amazed me with this:

Cave seal?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43886 on: November 14, 2015, 02:42:49 pm »

My world hit 10 years old, so I looked at the map in legends. apparently, I'm currently right on the edge of the territory of the humans I'm trading with. Hopefully, I will not be swallowed up by their expansion.

I ordered a shit ton of animals last year; BIG MISTAKE. Low value meat, leather and bones and heavy metal cages are 4 things I don't really need tons of right now. I built another butcher shop and 4 more craftsdwarf shops (I've got 8 freaking bonecarvers), so hopefully I'll be able to ride this out.

Fertile elk bird and cave turtle eggs have been laid; I've been sitting on 2 female Jabberers for a while and just caught a male and another female, so I'll wait until the current egg batches hatch before trying to get the Jabberers going. I finally caught a female wolverine (though I'd have been happier if she were a giant wolverine instead) so those are in the breeding program now.

*EDIT By Armok's beard! All the eggs hatched and the rutherers decided to pop out their kids too! I've got baby animals everywhere! Right then, time to clear out the infertile eggs, let everyone get their chance to mate then get right back to incubating....

Cave seal?
Hated pond grabbers, thought the caverns needed a little more variety, so I copypasted some animals to dwell in the caverns. Cave seals are basically elephant seals.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 02:48:18 pm by cochramd »
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43887 on: November 14, 2015, 04:42:02 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43888 on: November 14, 2015, 05:45:14 pm »

Rats, the necromancer left his zombies behind before I could cage him.

I mean, three is a lot, I could set up multiple necrobacon factories to produce tons of food for my... 30 dorfs.

Still, I want to be the very best, like no dorf ever was. To catch them is my real test, to cage them is my cause. NECROMON!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43889 on: November 14, 2015, 05:47:41 pm »

...And of course, within moments of making the artifact, a kea swoops in and... ::)

A quick edit and all the kea suddenly develop a case of liquified skin.
Pages: 1 ... 2924 2925 [2926] 2927 2928 ... 3842