Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2923 2924 [2925] 2926 2927 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107815 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #43860 on: November 12, 2015, 03:07:17 pm »

I like to observe the effect it has when I effect a speech affect and try to affect others with my curious pronunciations!

Edit: girlfriend hit me for that.
Your ramblings here never cease to amuse me :)  However, I have noticed that you no longer upchuck magma.  I am disappoint :(

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43861 on: November 12, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »

I forgot to keep brewing, so now all my dorfs are dying of thirst. Luckily, I recently managed to wall up a vampire, so I won't have to reclaim if everyone else dies.

This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I could auto-schedule some jobs based on a threshold (if drinks < 500, brew drinks)

Right now my method is to compulsively hit 'z' every so often, and have a heart attack half of the time because rendering errors make it so the last digits aren't shown, so I think I have 15 drinks left instead of 1500.
There is a DFHack plugin called 'Workflow Manager' that does exactly this.  It helps to mitigate many of the tedious but crucial micromanagement tasks.  If you are using the Lazy Newb Pack, then DFHack should be running with your game no problem.  Just enable the plugin and enjoy.

I don't use the LNP but I do have DFhack running with my game.  I'll look in the work orders menu and see if it proposes any DFhack extensions from there.

The default way to access it is to either:
A:
go into any workshop, queue a job, and hit Alt+W. It will prompt you that workflow is offline, tell it to enable. If the job is not repeating, it will ask you if you want to make it repeat - and so on. The keybindings should be visible on-screen.

B:
go into the DFHack client, and use the script "workflow enable".

If you wish to use workflow entirely from within the DFHack client, there is a list of commands available here.

Note: To whoever removed all of the relevant information from Github, fuck you. Sincerely, everyone who has ever used DFHack.

SirAero8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43862 on: November 12, 2015, 08:44:13 pm »

I recruited a bone carver into my military, and set him to pick his own weapon. He picked an adamantine short sword, and I didn't really mind because there was no one else to use it. Soon after, he got possessed and claimed a craftdwarf's workshop. Due to being under siege and not having the materials he needed, I ignored him and just watched the goblins wander into cage traps. After all the goblins were caught, I sent one to be thrown into lava. Suddenly, the bone carver went berserk, and he still had the adamantine short sword, so he almost killed two dwarves before his head was smashed in with a crossbow. Then, a flying FB came and murdered my last few working dwarves. I had a several month period where my only dwarves were 3 resting in the hospital (The two from the bone carver incident and one who was injured previously) and a baby wandering the halls. 7 migrants came, and managed to wall off the flying FB. This fort has been rapidly declining for over a year, but I'm hoping to make a comeback now.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43863 on: November 12, 2015, 09:42:01 pm »

Year 58.  Population 184.  The human guild rep is back, so hopefully the leather import schedule will soon be back on track.

My animal breeding program continues to pour food into a replete system.  Prepared meals topped 16,000 at one point.  Gah.  Sometimes I look at my food stores so full of food that there is little room for liquor and think that maybe I need to rethink this plan, but I inevitably decide to go ahead and continue.  Having extracted everything we need from the cavern 3 wildlife, we're just kicking back at this point waiting for the population to rise.

Still no sign of baby minotaurs.  I'm going to go ahead and call this one: minotaurs won't breed without some kind of modding.

PyroTechno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43864 on: November 12, 2015, 10:10:36 pm »

Year 58.  Population 184.  The human guild rep is back, so hopefully the leather import schedule will soon be back on track.

My animal breeding program continues to pour food into a replete system.  Prepared meals topped 16,000 at one point.  Gah.  Sometimes I look at my food stores so full of food that there is little room for liquor and think that maybe I need to rethink this plan, but I inevitably decide to go ahead and continue.  Having extracted everything we need from the cavern 3 wildlife, we're just kicking back at this point waiting for the population to rise.

Still no sign of baby minotaurs.  I'm going to go ahead and call this one: minotaurs won't breed without some kind of modding.

Correction: any invader (a hostile intelligent entity that has traveled to your site specifically to attack you) will never breed, although pregnancies (usually among goblin invaders) have been observed to come to term.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #43865 on: November 12, 2015, 10:57:26 pm »

Shortly after the dwarven caravan passes, like clockwork, one of my dwarves is found drained of all its blood.

...I suspect foul play.  But if my suspect is who I think it is...  Then I can do sweet fuck-all about it.

Nipples the monkey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43866 on: November 12, 2015, 11:36:53 pm »

After finally breaking into the caverns and placing down a few cage traps, I somehow have a caged troll and a giant cave crocodile.  I've also had the good fortune to get one of my dwarves infected by a werelizard and have sealed her in a secure room.  I have the feeling I could do something amazing with all these, but I have yet to figure out what.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43867 on: November 13, 2015, 12:49:01 am »

My first artifact came up as a reindeer bone battleaxe and one of my new immigrants was a Competent Axedwarf. Hello, militia commander!

So far he's beaten two troglodytes to death with it, but apparently he and his squadmate are having PTSD problems, as they're constantly horrified from watching troggies die.

And one of my miners working deep in the caverns had a baby, who must have been born cave-adjusted, because she's barfing everywhere once her mother came up to the surface for a drink.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43868 on: November 13, 2015, 01:45:54 am »

Correction: any invader (a hostile intelligent entity that has traveled to your site specifically to attack you) will never breed, although pregnancies (usually among goblin invaders) have been observed to come to term.

How is that a correction?

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43869 on: November 13, 2015, 02:24:27 am »

I like to observe the effect it has when I effect a speech affect and try to affect others with my curious pronunciations!

Edit: girlfriend hit me for that.
Your ramblings here never cease to amuse me :)  However, I have noticed that you no longer upchuck magma.  I am disappoint :(
I've been busy with Cathelms, and my integrated graphics is kinda dying so I have been taking it a bit easy since I can't do stuff like AV or even Stonesense really until my new card gets here next week.

Also been busy tweaking tilesets, rescaling them, and so forth.

I added some shading to the curses_640x300 after I scaled it up 4x, played with it a bit, then trimmed some of the sharper edges.

Need to update the tileset collection tomorrow I think with all the ones I've done and the graphics sets.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43870 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:50 am »

One of my weaponsmiths got a mood, so i mined and processed my first tile of admantine(it takes a really long time to extract strands) and forbid all the metals till it was ready. He ended producing this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately my fortress defence is based on the military rather than traps, so i have little use for it, but it still single-handily raised my fortress value by 40% :D, with a value of 2'784'000 Dwarfbucks. It also has a picture of a Minotaur on it who is travelling, an event which seems very important as it shows up in a good chunk of my fortresses engravings. In the unlikely event he is still around and did not get killed by some random cheesemaker centuries ago(something i will have to check in legends after i finish the game), and he comes to my fortress, i will figure out some way to kill him with this artifact, just to give some use for it.

The artifact also  seemed to attract a forgotten beast and a werechameleon, who showed up soon after, though they posed no threat. A forgotten beast which had been stuck on a underwater upramp for half a decade also decided to come out after seeing a gorlak, it then chased a fisherdwarf for a bit(amazingly the fisherdwarf escaped), and then decided to return to its underwater ramp(and was killed soon after by my military). Why it was so liked this underwater ramp is completely beyond me.

Pseudo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43871 on: November 13, 2015, 07:40:50 am »

You should take that and put it in a single dormitory for everyone.
The lady the dog the paper the boy writ hit bit knit.

English is weird.

Henry47

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43872 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:29 am »

You should take that and put it in a single dormitory for everyone.

Unfortunately most of miners died in cave-in accidents, so i guess my dwarfs will have to stick to their 4x4 individual bedrooms.

On a more serious note, would that actually work?(in regard to making them think they have a really good bedroom)

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #43873 on: November 13, 2015, 12:20:57 pm »

A one year old child has became possessed. He requires wood, bones, stone blocks, rough gems and cut gems. Let's see what he makes...
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 12:50:02 pm by Dutrius »
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

cochramd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43874 on: November 13, 2015, 03:53:46 pm »

A few years back, my bowyer disappointed me with this:

And now, my bone carver has amazed me with this:

A cave-in occured recently and "no water source" announcements have been popping up. Armok, how many freaking buckets does this fortress need?

Cave snapping turtles, Rutherers, Dralthas, cave crocodiles, giant capybaras, elk birds and swans have all been added to the breeding program. I've caught more species than that, but those are the only ones I've been able to get both males and females of. Tragically, not a single Belzug that has come onto my map has been captured alive.
Insert_Gnome_Here has claimed a computer terminal!

(Don't hold your breath though. I'm sitting here with a {x Windows Boot Manager x} hoping I do not go bezerk.)
Pages: 1 ... 2923 2924 [2925] 2926 2927 ... 3842