Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6112309 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #41100 on: April 29, 2015, 03:07:56 pm »

Planter just organised a party then cancelled it immediatley, because there was "no floor space".
Turns out he's in prison. 20 days to go. ::)
One wheel short of a wagon

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41101 on: April 29, 2015, 03:33:59 pm »

That could probably be good for an adventurer using the miscellaneous object user skill. IIRC scepters weight a lot compared to actual weapons like warhammers, and weight plays a big role in how effective random objects are at bashing things to death.
And thoughts for the newest useless artifact?

Stibbommishthem, "The Primitive Scholar", a iron bracelet
This is a iron bracelet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with panda leather and encircled with bands of panda leather.
On the item is an image of Momuz Hoarybolted the dwarf and Dwarves in iron. Momuz Hairybolted is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the appointment of the dwarf Momuz Hoarybolted to the position of outpost liaison of The Infinite Flags in the early spring of 21.
On the item is an image of The Primitive Scholar the iron bracelet in giant cave spider silk.
On the item is an image of Mistem Painsnarls the dwarf and a walnut wood cage in walnut wood. Mistem Painsnarls is raising the walnut wood cage. The artwork relates to the masterful walnut wood cage created by the dwarf Mistem Paintsnarls for The Imperial Gears at Grayroad in the early winter of 20.

The artwork became slowly less relevant. Worst part is it was created by a possessed dwarf. Again.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41102 on: April 29, 2015, 04:21:49 pm »

Humanity has rescued me.

All of the booze has been taken away, along with the prepared food. There are less than a hundred turkey eggs left, and we have bought out their entire caravan.

After barely more than a year, our fortress is prospering.

Next step is to set up at least three vaults, put 4 Turkey Hens in each, make sure there's arable land for raising brewable crops, pig tails for possible food replacements, and lock 3 males, 3 female dwarves in each vault.
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41103 on: April 29, 2015, 04:45:42 pm »

So our hunter shot a giant hampster a few times before he ran out of bolts. I had him go punch the unconscious thing. It was taking a while, so I drafted the rest of the starting seven. It was still taking a while, so I sent in the war dogs.

It's been a month or two, now. This can't end well.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #41104 on: April 29, 2015, 07:22:42 pm »

@NJW2000: Was said planter in a cage or chained up?  'Cuz there's plenty of floor space around a chain for him to stand in, plus the actual passable chain tile.  No matter what, there's always at least two passable tiles, because you've got to put the guy there, right?  You could build something to trap him, but only if you're evil.

I'm setting up pottery and glassmaking industries right now.  It's cool how I can have an unlimited supply of green glass large pots if I have some sand and some magma (which I certainly do, thanks to a rather tall magma pipe).  Now I don't have to cut down the trees that give me tons of sand pears and cherries to brew and sell to the mountainhome, as per their request!  Now I don't have to go on huge quarrying projects, planning around future projects, to get stone that could be better used outfitting the migrant's bedrooms!

Also, I'm making tons of earthenware bricks.  I'm planning on making a wall and tower to protect us, and I want to level up my potter, anyway.  He used to be a (useless) animal caretaker.
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #41105 on: April 29, 2015, 09:44:14 pm »

The undead stopped coming after a giant tree frog trapped itself in the brook.
I guess it just blocked new critters spawning.

Oh the frog finally left.

The third generation.

Deduk `Dagger' Morulinsel, "Deduk `Dagger' Pagegang", Miner   
"I gave birth to a girl.  Such adoration I feel!"
She is married to Monom `Hatchet' Scholartrades and has one child:  Id Cloudwhip.  She is the daughter of Dumat Armorbow and Urist Famegalley.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 10:58:44 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41106 on: April 30, 2015, 01:27:34 am »

Made a new embark, with a volcano. First expedition got killed when I breached the caverns right next to three cave ogres.
The second expedition was doing better, but then I noticed that the volcano has started overflowing, which is a bit of an issue since the entrance to the fort is right next to it.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41107 on: April 30, 2015, 01:54:57 am »

@jwoodward

I think he was chained up, but not in the dining room. And he organised it near an orthoclase table, and there's no furniture in prison.
One wheel short of a wagon

Qrox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41108 on: April 30, 2015, 05:45:48 am »

Asked the legendary weaponsmith to forge a candy sword for one of the squad members just to find out her slumbering in her quarters. Then another dwarf claimed a magma forge and fetched one candy wafer for her mood. I thought it was yet another useless trinkets and another candy wafer wasted but...
"Mafol McMoody has created Limurkathil, a candy short sword!"
So she was just helping the weaponsmith finish her job I guess?

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41109 on: April 30, 2015, 06:12:03 am »

Planter just organised a party then cancelled it immediatley, because there was "no floor space".
"Oh man I'm bored, I think I'll throw a party."
*Steps forward, stumbles, looks back at chained leg*
"Ohhhhhhhh. Right."
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

Balthasar42

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41110 on: April 30, 2015, 10:42:54 am »

"Oh man I'm bored, I think I'll throw a party."
*Steps forward, stumbles, looks back at chained leg*
"Ohhhhhhhh. Right."

"WHAT- Oh, yes. All that stuff I did."
You see, Urist was a particularly CLEVER hyper-intelligent pan-dimensional being...

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41111 on: April 30, 2015, 12:59:28 pm »

The Elf rep and the Elf caravan came at about the same time.  So while the Elf visitor tried to find its way about the Fortress I tried to trade with the Elves.  Not that I needed anything but I want to dump junk on them for booze and seeds.  Somehow I forgot a piece if tree or something, because they became offended and refused to trade.  So I decided to take what I wanted!  So even while I agreed to not kill as many trees with the Elf diplomat inside the Fortress the traders were forced to hand over their seeds, booze, and some buckets and bags I wanted too.  And then Armok showed his sense of humor and a Were tortoise came out of no where (I mean it - appeared right next to the Trade Depot).  Started killing the Yaks and chasing the Elves and then went after and killed a few of my dogs!

Well, I sent out three squads to kill it.  It seems one of my militia Dwarfs is a fast runner, because he reached it and killed it all by himself with a mace.

So...then the looting started.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, a tamed grizzly bear.  And...everything else we can get our hands on.  One of the dogs was a pet and will get a proper burial.  The Yaks will be eaten.  I don't know if any Elves died but I am sure I will be blamed for the were attack.  Whiners.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #41112 on: April 30, 2015, 02:03:13 pm »

The FPS in Bastiongate gave a huge drop after I sealed the Hell Bastion. I remembered an old FPS bug about opening and sealing hell, so I opened a hole in the wall and sealed it with a bridge. Not only do I now have my FPS back, I also have a gate that I can use. I think I'll build a demon trap.

It is my goal someday to farm demons for food, silk, and bones.

Also my only leatherworker is making something out of forgotten beast and demon leather. Based on her profile, it's going to be leggings. Still good.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #41113 on: April 30, 2015, 02:17:50 pm »

At my latest fort, I had to abandon fort due to a grizzly bear being unconscious in the fort and either keeping my dwarves preoccupied with punching it to death (unsuccessfully) or scaring them to starvation.  Going to reclaim and hopefully not have failure like this again.

Edit:  Reclaim attempt 1 is going curiously interesting, what with somehow having bat women taking the ruins, and mangling a crundle.  I think I narrowly missed a cave entrance if I'm getting bat people who are apparently "ambushing" my dwarves.  (For hostiles, they seem pretty chill, not using their blowguns upon my dwarves and leaving them be.)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 02:39:43 pm by NESgamer190 »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41114 on: April 30, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »

-snip-
Wereanimals can stealth now. That's probably why it appeared suddenly.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.
Pages: 1 ... 2739 2740 [2741] 2742 2743 ... 3842