Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2582 2583 [2584] 2585 2586 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6105974 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #38745 on: December 27, 2014, 09:34:18 pm »

Just started a new fort after plenty of time without playing. Got it off to a fast start and got basic utilities set up and it's already stable food-wise with some good farms. Also I got my first artifact from a child in Autumn. I was so excited until...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
-_- well you'll be useful? in 10 years or so.
Well you'll be able to pump out those boss crafts at least. Buying out caravans with a bin of statues and crowns.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #38746 on: December 27, 2014, 09:40:38 pm »

::)

Within the last season, he was grouchy drinking the same old booze.

What Urist?
No booze for you then, drink in the well instead.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38747 on: December 27, 2014, 10:41:09 pm »

Just watched the last hobbit movie and am now going to make a fort dedicated to producing dwarves armed and armored in all iron with spears and shields and they shall master their equipment
Then they shall be used to create my oldest fort which will see my first goblin siege (seriously I've played the game for two years and have yet to see a goblin siege or lava in fortress mode, though I've seen one Titan. An ash toad from the swamps that breathed fire and ended my last true fort by decimating my militia leaving the fort defence less and meloncoly/angery of their favorite dwarfs death)
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38748 on: December 27, 2014, 10:49:41 pm »

Too bad there is no troll-artillery for the goblins to use.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38749 on: December 27, 2014, 10:51:33 pm »

Ya........
But at least I can recreate the dwarven phalanx.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #38750 on: December 27, 2014, 10:53:18 pm »

Wow, first siege? You must go very lightly with population caps... Have you aways turned invaders off until now? Be sure to show us the results!
In a time before time, I had a name.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #38751 on: December 27, 2014, 11:02:01 pm »

Flowchart Fort just had it's first casualties. I had to slightly deviate from plan and build up a mausoleum/tomb for my fallen. Simple for simple folk with minimal impact (like 2 recent migrants, died while being the only fight-capable ones defending the fort from a weregecko; their lost lives were not in vain (they kept it distracted until it reverted back into a human), so a proper burial was in order). I also just got started on building my swankiest dining hall to-date. It also has a direct-ish path that leads to it straight from the tavern. The most-direct approach is down the central shaft. You can pay your respects to the dead left of the dining hall.

I decided on a somewhat cathedral-ish carving out style for the dining hall, with the upper floor being designed like an axe, with 3 VIP wings; the center post, and the ends of the axe head (I'm working out how I'll get the plumbing done without compromising the overall fort-aesthetic). The lower floor is designed more like a basilica, with the main vault of the hall populated with tables and chairs, and on the wings, the food and booze for the common folk to reach. Up-top the altar is the VIP section, and within said altar is the VIP personal stock. Finest of cuisine and booze, reserved for the classiest of dwarves. The rafters are decorated with the finest in dwarven statuary, crafted by the fortress's very own resident mason and leader.

As of now, that awesome dining hall is halfway done being dug out. I just smoothed out the walls, and engraved the rafters. The upper and lower levels are next. The mausoleum has been expanded, along with central storage as the engravers were doing their thing, as to keep everyone busy, and efficiently working.

Oh yeah, I also decided to line my entrance with a few serrated blade traps for anyone skulking around the bend. Already nabbed one poor, not so sly, fox.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38752 on: December 28, 2014, 12:07:58 am »

new fort in a new world which i hope will keep me busy a long time. joyous wasteland. temperate also. borders with a shrubland so i got some plant growth to compensate. enough points for a better embark.

have warehouses, farms and workshops finished. finishing the smoothing of the first set of bedrooms. no problems as of now.

trekkie5249

• Bay Watcher
  • Phaser Rifleman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38753 on: December 28, 2014, 12:48:46 am »

Update: I now have got a thriving metals industry, as well as another good mood
A third one of my dwarves has been possessed, but I don't have the materials for him. So I kinda had to lock him in the basement
until he dies. Welp.
The only problem with The Next Generation was Wesley never had a terrible airlock or engineering bay related accident that left just slush.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38754 on: December 28, 2014, 12:56:44 am »

19 Migrants at the start of year 2.  My Optimizer designates all but two of them for hauling duty.  Kinda weird, but a cursory glance over the important skills reveals that they are in fact, a decidedly useless lot.  No matter, this will allow me to better utilize the skilled dorfs.  (Seriously, 1 of the founders managed to be my best miner, woodcrafter, and hunter, plus being above-average in melee prowess.  I really wanted to make him the Militia Captain, but I need him to work like 10 different jobs ::))

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out why no Dwarf is taking our 30-some odd Pigtail Plants and turning them into cloth.  I need that rope for Traction Benches now dammit, it's flu season (Masterwork, Diseases addon).  I take a closer look at the migrant wave.  Nine, yes nine of the nineteen have above 70% proficiency in Weaving and Clothesmaking, yet not a single one had Spinning enabled :'(  I always try to spot the rare gems amongst a migrant wave, to balance out the rest of the useless booze-suckers.  But this... this just made me anguish in despair, lol.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #38755 on: December 28, 2014, 01:15:58 am »

two years in I have 72 dwarfs with only 4 dead. I am trying to get my metal industry going. have my mason, two carpenters and two craft dwarfs turning out master work pieces. there are to many useless things in my fort now and the caravans dont come fast enough. military is starting to grow, am training now. realized i had invaders turned off in LNP screen, turned that back on (hope it works i need fun). i have enough bed rooms for 28 dwarfs so half the population sleeps on the floor. have a king and mayor that need to be goblin bait. i am making a hospital because my best miner has had a broken rib since the third month of the fort. I am thinking about what to do after i get all my stuff caught up. i am running at 50 frames right now so i am worried about fps death.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38756 on: December 28, 2014, 01:35:13 am »

The springtime goblin ambush resulted in a large slaughter of untrained recruits in the eastern trap hallway. The resulting tantrums and mind-breakings have led me to completely reform my military. Any and all with weapon experience have been enlisted, and those few without have been dismissed. Training WILL be year-round. For far too long have I been lax with sparring sessions. Now, I need and expect fully mastered blocking, dodging, and weapon experience. More armor/padding sets are being turned out to supply the new recruits.

Cosmosslings will be reborn, stronger.

On a less urgent note: a large flooding chamber for growing crops has been hollowed out in the first cavern layer. It's not that I desperately need more farmland or anything, I just wanted to see if it would work. It's been hooked up to a pair of bridges blocking the cavern's lakes on either side of the room, and has a map-edge fortification for draining that can be toggled open.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38757 on: December 28, 2014, 01:41:27 am »

Wow, first siege? You must go very lightly with population caps... Have you aways turned invaders off until now? Be sure to show us the results!

No my forts just don't last long.. And I don't play much anymore until now.. Longest running fort 4~5 years regular fort 2~3 years short forts 1 year and then I give up because whole year long snow storms and nowhere to plant seeds sucks..../

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #38758 on: December 28, 2014, 03:16:06 am »

Best way to deal with a fire-breathing hill titan with breached defenses as well as fire and smoke everywhere, anyone?
Carve cave-in on his head. :) Or just cave in trap in other chamber and lead him there.
Well that'll be tricky, considering it's an above-ground tower fortress. Will probably have to collapse a section of the bedroom level, which is an endeavor in and of itself since everyone is just a few steps away from the titan thanks to the staircase.

Also, <5 FPS.

EDIT: Is it also impossible for military to path through smoke? They kept spamming about unreachable target.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:20:04 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38759 on: December 28, 2014, 03:31:20 am »

Autumn of tenth year in Questmountain. Fimshel Clobberfather the Scratches of Sieging the bronze colossus paid a visit just when several dwarves were outside cleaning up after a goblin siege. For a while I thought I was in for serious FUN but then the colossus decided to walk into a cage trap. Welcome to Hotel Questmountain, Mr Clobberfather; here's your flimsy copper cage.

Now I have to think up a way to use this unexpected windfall. Babysitting? Entrance guard? Archery training? Arena combat with the hydra I captured earlier?
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 ... 2582 2583 [2584] 2585 2586 ... 3842