Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2287 2288 [2289] 2290 2291 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094284 times)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34320 on: April 24, 2014, 07:39:58 am »

An ettin wandered into two year old Mindropes, and discovered the Dwarven ginsu of my militia.  I don't think he even landed a blow before becoming ettin-cutlets.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34321 on: April 24, 2014, 08:16:10 am »

I dumped an Ettin in a pit full of Goblins and Blind Cave Ogres.
They fought for a bit, but they weren't really having a full-scale brawl in there, so I flooded the chamber with magma.
On a completely unrelated note, today I discovered Ettin bodies don't melt or set on fire in magma. It's rotting in there and creating quite a bit of miasma.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34322 on: April 24, 2014, 10:29:37 am »

The Goblin meekly  let himself be led by the dwarf down the staircase. He had been captured in a failed attack, stripped of his weapons and armor, and kept in a cage for over a year. Nearly anything was better than sitting amongst the cages.

Over the last few months, a few of the other occupants of the cages had been taken out, and hadn't returned. Based on what he knew of Dwarven culture, he assumed that they were being thrown into magma. That was probably his fate too, but he would face his fate with honor.

From down below, the Goblin heard a noise that sounded familiar, but he couldn't quite place it. It seemed to be coming from the room into which he was led.

As they pased through the wide doorway, the Goblin briefly admired the massive room that had been hollowed out. But his attention was quickly drawn to the far corner, where a scene from his nightmares was being played out.

Under the supervision of what looked to be a more veteran dwarf, one of his captors was mercilessly beating a body into the stony floor.  The body was tied to the wall with some kind of rope, and was now nothing more than a pile of meat lying there in a pile of blood and vomit. The victim was clearly unconscious, but it was just as clear that his assailant wouldn't let up until he was dead.

Numbly, the Goblin felt himself tied to the wall nearby.  He barely noticed as the dwarf that led him down to this hall of horrors left. Numbly, the Goblin reached for the rope--any distraction from the situation was welcome. Noting the strange texture, the Goblin looked at the rope. Only to discover that the rope was made from some kind of guts.

Hearing his gasp, the military dwarves nearby looked up and smiled. With a sinking sensation in his stomach, the Goblin suddenly knew his last nightmare.

He was next.

So I've taken a small area of my fortress  for the purposes of building up my military. I decided I'd use all the Goblin, Drow, and Dwarf thieves and pirsoners as literal punching bags to raise military atributes. I used my only two ropes--which hapened to be Masterwork dried gut ropes, and started tying up my prisoners.

After an unfortunate Dorf death due to insufficient Helm wearing, I started going. Only to discover that I needed to not only be unarmed but not have a shield, because that killed them too quickly.

I didn't realize what a monster I was until midway through the first victim--a Dorf snatcher. He got knocked out by the end of the second page of combat. It's currently on page 57.

I realized just how monstrous this was, and felt that I should write the previous fluff piece.

That said--I'm going to continue doing it--even improving my formula.

The distaste at what my realization is for me trumped by the sriking, biting, wrestling, kicking, etc bonuses that can be gained.

And as for improving it--knocking out the prisoners with a more trained dorf, let a total rookie come in and train himself up.

It should be noted that I have a grizzled veteran standing by just in case anything goes wrong and they need to rescue my dorfs.

Later.....

Welp, Karmic justice has been served. the one dwarf who has been through my *punch your way to success* seminar was killed in an ambush. there were around 20 goblins and about ten giant war bats. I sent my 4 dwarves out to face them--my 2 grizzled veterans, my seminar veteran, and a relative newbie who was probably going to die.

My seminar veteran  I was expecting to do some damage, and end up in the hospital for a while. But nope, he got one or two swings in and his head literally got shot off.

the newbie got a few good licks in but ran away, and eventually bled out. But he probably had a migraine first because a lasher kept trying to bash his brains in, but his helm protected him.

my secondary grizzled veteran did a good job, but eventually turned and ran away.  He ended up getting hurt a LOT, but he's all fixed up now and healing.

My military commander, though--he was Dwarven Oprah with a rusty iron lash/flail/some kind of whip--"Your head pops off! Your head pops off! Your head pops off! Your head pops off! Your head can stay on, but look under your seat! You *only* get beaten to death! YOUR head pops off!........" And he ended up  coming through without a scratch

I did lose quite a few civilians, mainly because I tend to be rather.....cavalier about them. I only give a crap about a handful of people--my master crafters, my chief medical dwarf, my super warriors, etc. The rest are there to support them.

Plus I hadn't really done anything with any of the last two immigration waves. So people were here, there, and everywhere. I did have a bit of a scare, though, when I realized my chief medical dwarf was outside. He managed to get back inside, but sustained injuries, and was, ironically, the second-to-last dwarf to be fully tended to.

I do admit I was pretty scared when I found out that he was hurt, and literally stopped all production except for one or two casted folks. ALL of them were given full medical roles. This helped get my dwarves taken care of--this is the first ambush where nobody bled out in the Hospital. Also the first one where I had soap from the beginning (bring me gypsum next season, Mountainhomes!).

I took a break after all this, and just got back into this. It's time to sort out roles, etc.

I now have a water mage, but no wand. Also, no source of iron as of yet, so I have to rely on goblinite. And, because I know nothing about handling magma, I'm experimenting with various ways of getting magma furnaces up and running. Thankfully, I have about 24 Heart of Armok (Masterwork, lets you spawn magma).

Once I get the magma flowing (I don't want to go down to magma sea for everything, and I don't know much about pumps, etc.) I'll cut down my wood usage so damn much.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 01:16:06 pm by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34323 on: April 24, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »

Dug through into the caverns to find magma since I've gotten some competent metalworkers....
Oh shit
Does anyone see what's wrong with this picture?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity

Natti

• Bay Watcher
  • Gremlin lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34324 on: April 24, 2014, 02:00:35 pm »

Just make sure your military is wearing full suits of armour, and it'll be okay.
+Amazigh (~Amazigh@poop.poop) Quit (Quit: Life is your butter, I shall be the margarine, beware heart disease.)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #34325 on: April 24, 2014, 02:24:16 pm »

Does anyone see what's wrong with this picture?

That spider isn't properly penned for silk farming, that's what.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Methadone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34326 on: April 24, 2014, 03:24:16 pm »

Not particularly exciting, but thanks to a brutal migration wave (60+ dwarves, basically half children, half fisherdwarves, putting me above 80 total pop) my forts security went from "one guy to deal with the odd aggressive animal" to "one guy to deal with the massive goblin xbow siege." I haven't seen a siege arrive before ambushes before, and I certainly didn't think I have exported enough wealth, so I was unpleasantly surprised. Lost a miner and a mason during the mad scramble inside, locked the doors, and gave it a year or so. The handful of gobbos who fell into cage traps were summarily executed, and I spent much of lock down arming my military. Also got a reservoir dug and filled and archery towers built, so I'll be ready next time .

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34327 on: April 24, 2014, 08:06:17 pm »

Starting what is a required task for my fort - Spring Cleaning.
No, it's not dusting the whole fort. That's boring.
This year I am designating every unneeded metal object for melting and all goblin clothes for atomsmashing. Seriously, over a third of my stockpiles are just goblin clothing.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34328 on: April 24, 2014, 08:09:57 pm »

Holy gosh.  I forwent security and paid for it.  6 Trogs congad into my cavern enterance, overwhelming my cage traps and punching heads.  No casualties, but there is a line for 'attend meeting'.  :[

Then, we get a functional bridge put up, and as soon as I take it down for relocation Elk birds invade.  More unhappies.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34329 on: April 25, 2014, 01:33:22 am »

......frick.

I am in the middle of a beer/water shortage due to the fact that my water freezes in winter.

I'm down to the last few items.

And one of my dwarves brewed Nether Grour. I was wondering if a forgotten beast had come up sneaky-like and was affecting my dwarves with syndromes.

Nope.

Still, that begs the question--given that there is no water and almost no booze aside from this poison left--would dorfs rather be drunk---or dead?
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34330 on: April 25, 2014, 01:46:31 am »

Floating in the air above my retaining wall is a two-urist wide, double level aqueduct--one level for magma, one for water. The pumps are in place. Exactly 100 floodgates are staggered along the outer rim, ready to hook up as soon as I get all the levers built. Operation Cement Pond is proceeding apace. Almost.

One single tile of wall is getting "Creature occupying site." The mason is not standing on the target site in any way. Nothing is there. It's empty. Masons have attempted from different angles. Nobody's walking into it at the last second. But it consistently gets "Creature occupying site."

Argh.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34331 on: April 25, 2014, 01:53:14 am »

Sometimes the block being used needs forbidding. Did you try that? Works for me sometimes...

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34332 on: April 25, 2014, 01:55:54 am »

Not much going in my current fort.

I lost my previous one to two goblin ambushes. I really underestimated them. First one took down about 10 dwarves, mostly haulers though. But then, a bigger one soon arrived, right when I finished burying the dead... Yep, I learned my lesson.

It was also my first fort that I saw an ambush in. I usually quit fortresses because 'they don't look nice'. Yeah, it doesn't matter if the whole thing would be made of cotton candy. I would abandon it. God cursed me with OCD...

The only semi-interesting things in my current one are a stoneworker who DOESN'T GIVE A FU*K about his orders. All he does is engraving. That's why I removed engraving job from him and now he will be furnishing the dining hall.

Some of his engraving revealed some of his backstory though. It looks like he was a friend and a travelling companion of a dwarven hero who used to hunt large beasts. Oh well... He should've made those fricking microcline tables and chairs when I've told him!
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34333 on: April 25, 2014, 02:07:06 am »

Sometimes the block being used needs forbidding. Did you try that? Works for me sometimes...
Using a different block didn't help either.

I ended up putting a floodgate there, but I saved a copy of the file for if I ever decide to bang my head against it some more.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34334 on: April 25, 2014, 02:10:18 am »

One single tile of wall is getting "Creature occupying site." The mason is not standing on the target site in any way. Nothing is there. It's empty. Masons have attempted from different angles. Nobody's walking into it at the last second. But it consistently gets "Creature occupying site."

This happens to me sometimes. Unsuspending doesn't work. I usually fix it by removing the construction (Q-x) and re-ordering it.
Pages: 1 ... 2287 2288 [2289] 2290 2291 ... 3842