Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2285 2286 [2287] 2288 2289 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093793 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34290 on: April 22, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »

R: My disappointing untamed biome/terrifying embark fort.

I built a pump stack to the surface, and then channeled the water into my fort.  It was glorious.  The world will learn to do without the wooden bracelet and the Gnesis artifact with bands and circles of various silk and gems.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:51:34 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34291 on: April 22, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »

Continued with my Fort which i didnt touch in a while.
And my Glassmaker promptly went berserk. Probably had a disagreement with that.

Anyway, one of my haulers decided to put his remains to rest.
One tooth at a time.... and there are a lot of them considering the glasser got a *silver mace* to the face.
Oh well...

...and on a sidenote, a random cavy just starved to death. lol...

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34292 on: April 22, 2014, 06:26:15 pm »

My new fort has not gotten a human caravan for 3 years.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

Newtons.Bit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34293 on: April 22, 2014, 07:16:45 pm »

I.. uhh... think I'll disable the Wood Cutter labor on the two dwarves that have it.  Because... reasons...

The Elf Kifino Naquifaribi has come!  A medium-sized creature dedicated to the ruthless protection of nature.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34294 on: April 22, 2014, 08:37:14 pm »

Newton, it's a werebeast.
Basically, if you have an army that could kill one of your civilians, it can kill the elf before it transforms.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34295 on: April 22, 2014, 08:40:43 pm »

Except it shouldn't turn into a werebeast any time soon. They arrive already turned, so that elf had just turned back to normal before being spotted.

Though I would have to commend you if your fort is such a maze that it manages to prevent the elf from leaving the map for at least a month.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34296 on: April 22, 2014, 09:28:10 pm »

Query:  If you cage or cage/restrain it, does it change, get free?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34297 on: April 22, 2014, 09:34:52 pm »

I don't know about restraints, but I know that caged werebeasts will not break free when they turn.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34298 on: April 22, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »

Nope. I've kept chained werebeasts as pets.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34299 on: April 22, 2014, 11:13:32 pm »

My embark has evil weather that does nothing but knock dwarves out for a week and then make them dizzy for another couple of days. I spent so much time avoiding it for fear of husks, and now I just ignore it. But my duke just got really unlucky and got a dose of it just as a couple of mosquito man corpses were approaching. Guess he didn't demand that tomb for nothing after all.

Operation: Cement Pond proceeds slowly. I've kept my population at 80 and that's kept my FPS at 40, but it also means I don't have that many workers. Considering returning some of my militia (currently 25) to civilian life, since I've now walled off the entire border in preparation to pave it over with obsidian. I've already completely ignored one siege. I'll need to keep the marksdwarves, though, as flying undead are ridiculously common.

Maul_Junior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34300 on: April 22, 2014, 11:55:34 pm »

Yet another fortress. 2 years in. Right after the caravan shows up I get a Goblin lasher ambush.

And, because I'm still not really a warrior and like to get infrastructure up first, I have my main exit near my farms and pets, and have very few weapons and no armor.

Fortunately, I'm not entirely defenseless (or I'm fairly certain I'd be reclaiming right about now), and had 7 cage traps waiting. 5 Goblins make it through. I send 2 full squads of drafted civilizans at them. 3 Goblins die quickly due to my war pets (and war pets that hadn't been trained yet), but manage to kill 4 dorfs.

What followed was a battle that lasted ALL of Winter, and a little into Spring, where my warriors (eventually boosted to 3 full squads, replacing the fallen members with fresh meat shields) eventually beat the gobbos into submission with their fists. I do have a decent hospital already set up but no soap or plaster. Also all water is frozen atm......but once the Dwarves wake up they should be okay. None of the survivors lost any limbs (though some have some seriously mangled hands and legs). They should all be able to get to the 5-600 units of booze we've built up.

Shame that we lost that Nun of Armok in the first year because we didn't have enough booze and we forgot the water froze. :(

I am now down to a single breeding pair of shaggy badgerdogs, and my two adult Drakes and 3 out of my 4 baby Drakes. Thank Armok for the tenacity of my Drakes or my casualties would have been far higher.

All told, the total casualty list for Staletortures is:

4 Dorfen recruits (possibly more as the injured either heal or die)
1 Adult Drake
1 Ironclad Cragtooth Boar
1 Horned Caveturtle
1 Pekyt
1 Baby Drake
1 Mastiff
1 Badgerdog Pup

It could have been way worse. And considering unarmed/armored dwarves took down 6 goblin lashers, I am very satisfied with the results.

As soon as the caravan leaves we're closing up and focusing on our weapons, armory, and training for soldiers.

Next time the Goblins come, we'll be ready.

And will hopefully have a few more war drakes.

EDIT:

DAMMIT Broker. You were 2 squares away from Trading at the depot! This will take 2 minutes. you can WAIT to get a drink until after! They're just about to leave! We had to fight off a Goblin Ambush to let them in, so help me, if they leave becaue you couldn't wait.....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 12:00:32 am by Maul_Junior »
Quote from: Meph
I didn't actually say this.

Quote from: smurfingtonthethird
there is nothing funnier than watching a goblin army get assaulted by hundreds of war chickens.

Any new discovery, sufficiently weaponize, is indistinguishable from !!FUN!!

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34301 on: April 23, 2014, 04:01:35 am »

Where do these stupid training weapons come from? I don't trade for them, I don't make them, I have a back row of "useless traps" nowhere near the entrance to my fort. I'm sick of making a weapon trap and having to scroll past 80 gajillion (give or take a few) training spears/axes/swords. AARGH!
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34302 on: April 23, 2014, 04:05:00 am »

Weapons stockpile with material = wood? Then dump and atomsmash?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34303 on: April 23, 2014, 04:12:50 am »

Where do these stupid training weapons come from? I don't trade for them, I don't make them, I have a back row of "useless traps" nowhere near the entrance to my fort. I'm sick of making a weapon trap and having to scroll past 80 gajillion (give or take a few) training spears/axes/swords. AARGH!
Have you checked if they're actually in your stockpiles?
They might be from animalpeople tribes in the caverns.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MrsStick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34304 on: April 23, 2014, 04:51:16 am »

They are mine. I've found the caverns, but haven't ventured down there yet. Trying to build my military up a bit (and get a safe way to my airlocked cavern entrance so I won't get pwned by the various and sundry seiges).
My hubby got me into DF...then abandoned his for MineCraft.
Husband has been possessed!
I'm sorry your husband had a strange mood and ended up making a useless trinket out of useless materials without gaining any experience in the process.
Pages: 1 ... 2285 2286 [2287] 2288 2289 ... 3842