Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2288 2289 [2290] 2291 2292 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094612 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #34335 on: April 25, 2014, 06:33:07 am »

My usual fix, just in case, even though nobody is standing on it, is to restrict access to that tile and make nearby tiles high traffic.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34336 on: April 25, 2014, 07:05:41 am »

Gorlaks are supposed to be benign, yet they viciously assaulted my miner 3 or 4 times during the first spring!

I had no choice but to kill them all. Even the ones that tried to flee into the cave.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34337 on: April 25, 2014, 08:18:13 am »

Watched an entire goblin siege rush headlong into the same serrated copper disc trap.  Goblin bits everywhere, very messy.  They didn't even make it to the cages.

On the upside, plenty of tasty goblinite for a fort in a mountain with garnierite, tetrahedrite, and level after level after frickin level of GOLD.  I have a 40x120 temple to the goddess of fortresses, since my mason carved a masterwork statue of her.  She has a solid gold altar.  The entire room is masterwork carved.  It's a little ridonk.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #34338 on: April 25, 2014, 08:23:14 am »

I now have a breeding pair of tamed naked mole puppies. Now I just have to wait for them to grow up. In other news, what should I do with this troll I caught? I can't butcher him, but if he dies somehow I have cannibalism enabled.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34339 on: April 25, 2014, 10:28:20 am »

Another artifact bone weapon, this brings my stock of artifact bone weapons to
a giraffe bone shield,
a tiny lion bone spear,
a jackal bone shield,
a tiny draltha bone pick,
a tiny giant grouper bone axe,
an orca bone helm,
and now a kobold bone impish crossbow.

I should start a ceremonial squad to wield these weapons.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34340 on: April 25, 2014, 11:04:19 am »

Yes. Yes you should.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34341 on: April 25, 2014, 11:11:36 am »

They will execute prisoners with their bone artifacts, pull out the entrails and give them to the citizens. The citizens will then drop the entrails in the river.
You will call it Watanagashi Festival.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34342 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:33 am »

Sometimes the block being used needs forbidding. Did you try that? Works for me sometimes...
Using a different block didn't help either.

I ended up putting a floodgate there, but I saved a copy of the file for if I ever decide to bang my head against it some more.
Cancel the build, then re-designate it.  They will usually use the same block/rock for it, and will usually have no issue doing so the second time.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34343 on: April 25, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »

Sometimes the block being used needs forbidding. Did you try that? Works for me sometimes...
Using a different block didn't help either.

I ended up putting a floodgate there, but I saved a copy of the file for if I ever decide to bang my head against it some more.
Cancel the build, then re-designate it.  They will usually use the same block/rock for it, and will usually have no issue doing so the second time.
Yeah, I've been through all the "is it plugged in" troubleshooting steps repeatedly. I wouldn't have posted about the old "Creature occupying site" problem if standard resolution techniques were working.

dig_for_!!sparklies!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34344 on: April 25, 2014, 04:21:47 pm »

They will execute prisoners with their bone artifacts, pull out the entrails and give them to the citizens. The citizens will then drop the entrails in the river.
You will call it Watanagashi Festival.

And dwarves will randomly go insane around Festival time every year. (This plan is excellent and you get points for referencing Higurashi).

My fort's FPS is dangerously low, so I'm trying to get the random stuff cleared out from the caverns (this is a reclaim) and into proper stockpiles. I suppose FPS 10-12 isn't toooo bad when you consider I have TWO (gravity-based) waterfalls and an ocean shore...

Edit: dig_for_!!sparklies!! has grown to become a Bay Watcher. Dig_for_!!sparklies!! was pleased to become a Bay Watcher recently. XD
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:23:29 pm by dig_for_!!sparklies!! »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34345 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:11 pm »

Just realized my best soldier has racked up 56 kills while all the while not having a left foot. He has been running around on a crutch holding his shield in the same crutch hand, and still runs down unarmored goblin snatchers easily ?!

It is possible to walk around / fight with no legs or feet, and two crutches?

It reminds me of the saying "He has two left feet."  Maybe if you have zero left feet, you're even MORE agile than normal?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34346 on: April 25, 2014, 05:13:13 pm »

Yes. Yes you should.
Alright, I'll do it when I get another bone object. Hopefully a shield for the last melee imp.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34347 on: April 25, 2014, 05:27:48 pm »

One of my dwarfs got his head cut off by a goblin thief.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34348 on: April 25, 2014, 06:12:24 pm »

Speak of the devil, one of my pump operators got possessed and is making something out of bone. Let's hope its a shield!

Edit: It's a elk bird bone weapon rack. It goes with the donkey bone table, then. But it DOES have a picture of the tiny giant grouper bone axe on it, though.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 06:16:18 pm by TheFlame52 »

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34349 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:39 pm »

Speak of the devil, one of my pump operators got possessed and is making something out of bone. Let's hope its a shield!

Edit: It's a elk bird bone weapon rack. It goes with the donkey bone table, then. But it DOES have a picture of the tiny giant grouper bone axe on it, though.

Darn.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.
Pages: 1 ... 2288 2289 [2290] 2291 2292 ... 3842