Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096562 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #32145 on: January 07, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »

while one of the winter ambushes spawned inside the fort (i've no idea how they do this, there's absolutely no path;

Be careful, though.  Sometimes it's just 1 ramp somewhere that was overlooked that provides a path.  I had one in my fort that was only discovered when a child unassigned to a burrow went running all over the place, bypassing the set of walls I had recently built.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32146 on: January 07, 2014, 03:26:20 pm »

Humans came, went into pond.  Blobby the slime steam got two, one went beserk, killed by his bodyguard.  Two horses are wandering around cavern layer two, which is where i strongly sudpected I was.  I fou.d the underground passage almost directly below my fort, some 15 levels.  But, I also found my fort isdirectly above tge highest point of cavern 3.  The level2 housing is directly above it.

Blobby, a maceman human, and a cave croc a chillin in tge pond, seperated by pillars.  Necros got to a mountain goat i killed topside and almost started a route, killing three seabee archers.  dunbasses forgot armour andor tgeir sidearms.

I have a gcs in a hole tied up and trained.  Plan to test out its webslinging through fortifications. and then train my meleemen on zombies.  caught 3 more necros, bringing me to 4 caged, 5 dead.

Draltha steaks are getting old.  At tge end of year two, no siege event, and only one thief event, though several gremlins

edit:
A cave swallow came up my poorly designed droppit for gorlaks, and mauled the ptofessional hauler.  Tge hauler ran, passed out on my cage trap by the door, and the swallow flew out to rip off the finger of a paaserby.  Mt military has a baaracks on that floor, abd tgey chased it around Henry mancine style.  The area is designed around a spike trap I never used, becausr I instead stored stuff on that floor, so it guarded nothing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 05:00:35 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32147 on: January 07, 2014, 04:05:31 pm »

while one of the winter ambushes spawned inside the fort (i've no idea how they do this, there's absolutely no path;

Be careful, though.  Sometimes it's just 1 ramp somewhere that was overlooked that provides a path.  I had one in my fort that was only discovered when a child unassigned to a burrow went running all over the place, bypassing the set of walls I had recently built.

No, when i shut the relevant bridges, placing a construction outside gives me "no access to building material non-economic item" - there really is no path between inside and outside. For all i can say the goblins really spawn inside the fort. Out of maybe forty ambush squads, two have entered the main fort coming directly from the great ice hall that's only accessible from the fort proper. If there was an actual breach somewhere, more ambushes would have taken that route.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32148 on: January 07, 2014, 05:30:58 pm »

Well, that's rather convincing!  You should bug report it if you haven't already.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32149 on: January 07, 2014, 06:49:32 pm »

No, when i shut the relevant bridges, placing a construction outside gives me "no access to building material non-economic item" - there really is no path between inside and outside. For all i can say the goblins really spawn inside the fort. Out of maybe forty ambush squads, two have entered the main fort coming directly from the great ice hall that's only accessible from the fort proper. If there was an actual breach somewhere, more ambushes would have taken that route.

Is your embark a non-square embark?, I've heard of problems with non square embarks like merchants and animals spawning in the middle of the map or otherwise not the edge.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32150 on: January 07, 2014, 08:52:20 pm »

It is the first autumn of Helmedspattered, and veins of magnetite and hematite have been uncovered in rather shallow layers. A first for me, and a good future for my dwarves. This entire embark is perfect, as a matter of fact! Sand for glassworking, a loam layer for farm expansion, an actual breeding pair of yaks for once, and plenty of trees to jumpstart the whole smelting process.

The entrance has been rigged with cage traps and a trap-path has been dug for any invaders who want to try their luck. Bridges are still underway. Not enough immigrants yet to get things done fast.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

GuesssWho

• Bay Watcher
  • A scaly cat. Beware its acidic webs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32151 on: January 07, 2014, 09:11:10 pm »

A web-spewing crocodile came up through the well. Much FUN was had.
I have no clue what I am doing here.

I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32152 on: January 07, 2014, 09:43:58 pm »

The population has reached a ratio of 1Dwarf-per-2Zombies, and this is very good.

I built access corridors at N, NE, E, SE, S, and SW areas, and the migrants spawned at the 5-oclock position.
N is near Zombie River, S has a spongebob hand, and SW has an alligator.
You never know what your gonna get when you journey to The Rabbit of Huts.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32153 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:02 pm »

I spent this year matchmaking and setting up some magma workshops. The latter was done for the first time ever by bringing magma up to the shallower levels, by minecart. A three-tile ramp pit with two regular ramps and one impulse was enough to acquire the magma, and the rest was done by plain old "push track vehicle". I caught a bug somewhere on my elevator and wasn't going to spend the time troubleshooting when all i wanted was enough magma for a smithy, two smelters, a kiln and a glassworks. That's a whopping ten loads. I set up three "honeymoon suites" and once those couples decided to tie the knot, two other pairs of lovers followed suit without further encouragement. I think we were down to a single productive couple before who hadn't had a child in three years.

I forgot to re-take and lock the back door, so two ambush squads used the opportunity, shoved one of theirs into a cage and decided to camp the main entry. As per usual. The campers were eventually driven off by crossbow fire. Two squads made it to the bonemill and were pulped by speeding minecarts. Christine only made six more kills this season, for a total of 39.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32154 on: January 08, 2014, 06:35:52 am »

Well, as fate would have it; the great megaproject to empty out a 79x79x50 block of ocean in order to construct a mold into which I intended to cast an entire fort out of obsidian has failed. The doom of our time? A Basking Shark Husk. I had a very large, well armed/armored militia standing ready. To this point they were well enough to keep the evils of a Terrifying Ocean at bay....but the enormity of the basking shark proved too much for them. It would appear the ability to simply roll over and crush entire squads under it cannot be under-estimated in combat.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

firsal

• Bay Watcher
  • A thin creature prone to great ambition
    • View Profile
« Reply #32155 on: January 08, 2014, 06:55:53 am »

The great dwarven tower-fortress of Shukarerith, Talllabors in common tongue, has been completed.

Standing at 16 stories high, it houses all of Shukarerith's 199 dwarves as well as their workshops, stockpiles, dining rooms and hospital. Comprised of 5 towers made from granite blocks mined from deep within the earth and fashioned in ten mason shops dedicated to the task, it has taken 3 years for our dwarves to finish it completely, and probably another year for everything to have been moved into the tower complex. The layout of the fortress is cross-shaped, with the central tower much bigger than the other 4 around it. The upper levels have been devoted to housing and the hospital, whilst the lower levels contain the fortress' workshops and stockpiles. There are connections at the 2nd, 5th and 8th floor between the towers.

Upon finishing this, I realized that, 1, I had LOTS of space, and 2, organizing workshops and stockpiles into some sort of coherent assembly line is a hellish task. I've devoted the outer towers to workshops and the central tower to stockpiles. Yet, even if I've been wanting to complete this since Christmas,  I can't seem to get to the task of getting those shops up and running.

And, my master swordsdwarf gave birth recently. In an active danger room. The spears have acquired a new shade of red.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32156 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:16 pm »

I spent this year matchmaking...

I usually just leave this up to the dwarves, but I had one couple that had been dating for 20 years.  "Get married already!"

Eidre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32157 on: January 08, 2014, 12:33:37 pm »

Second volcano embark is moving along well; year 2, militia is fully iron-equipped and steel production is plodding along, limited by a complete lack of coal in the embark (having to use trees -> charcoal and whatever other coal is brought by the caravans).  One ambush, various thieves, no sieges or megabeasts yet.

Couple of observations:
1) After screwing around  in previous games with pumps, draining ponds, dealing with streams and flooding, etc, it is actually nice to have a small, controllable, infinite aquifer source about 20 z-levels below my main fortress to put the well over.  And since the aquifer only covers the North-central quadrant of the embark site, digging below it is no problem at all.  I think partial-coverage aquifer is going to be my preferred embark from now on.

2) Magma is *awesome*.  I can't imagine going back to using regular fuel.  I may go for volcano embarks for the forseeable future just to have an infinite high-altitude magma source (so I don't have to make massive magma-proof pump stacks or resort to system exploits like water reactors).  Sand or clay + magma = unlimited trade potential (both available on this site; no fire clay or kaolinite yet, unfortunately, but you can't have everything).  Something else I notice; having magma available invites the unquenchable desire to weaponize it.  Main entrance gate overhead murder holes are now in progress (using artifact obsidian floodgate as the deployment method).  Looking forward to the first siege so I can make some magma mist and !!goblins!!.  Also looking forward to said !!goblins!! running around and setting my few trees on fire.

3) The game is watching me...after getting the aquifer access for my well, I drained my cistern off (to retrieve the body of a dwarf that had fallen down the well holding a useful artifact).  To do this, I pierced a hole in my outer wall so the excess water could flow out and down the side of the mountain.  Within seconds (real time) of breaching the wall, a goblin ambush popped up on the border nearest the hole and walked right into the passage to my forges.  Intervention by the whole millitia solved the problem in short order, but not before three macedwarfs, one hunters, and a peasant were struck down.  No resultant tantrums.

4) More than 3/4 of my migrant dwarves have combat skills (usually one weapon + shield, armor, dodger); I've been inducting everyone with skills into a squad, to the point that a significant majority of my population is also in the military.  In previous games, only 1-2 migrants per wave has had military skills, and I've had to make do with a much smaller militia (and therefore longer training cycles so I have at least some dwarves armed, armored, and in predictable locations at all times).  I have no idea what controls immigrant skills, but something is definitely different in this embark.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:36:27 pm by Eidre »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32158 on: January 08, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »

Magma is *awesome*.  I can't imagine going back to using regular fuel.  I may go for volcano embarks for the forseeable future just to have an infinite high-altitude magma source (so I don't have to make massive magma-proof pump stacks or resort to system exploits like water reactors).

I've found that pump stacks aren't strictly necessary.  My magma source is ~140 levels below the surface.  The path to the magma forges includes 2 small outposts with food & drink and 1 with a few beds. The time it takes to produce and haul items back up to the surface hasn't been a bother.  Still, I agree that volcanoes are super convenient.  I've just always had bad luck on volcano embarks. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32159 on: January 08, 2014, 01:36:55 pm »

Magma is *awesome*.  I can't imagine going back to using regular fuel.  I may go for volcano embarks for the forseeable future just to have an infinite high-altitude magma source (so I don't have to make massive magma-proof pump stacks or resort to system exploits like water reactors).

I've found that pump stacks aren't strictly necessary.  My magma source is ~140 levels below the surface.  The path to the magma forges includes 2 small outposts with food & drink and 1 with a few beds. The time it takes to produce and haul items back up to the surface hasn't been a bother.  Still, I agree that volcanoes are super convenient.  I've just always had bad luck on volcano embarks.

Same here, except my "bad luck" came in the form of "Armok isn't gonna give you any weaponsgrade ore. Not even copper." Lots of  gold and platinum though.
Pages: 1 ... 2142 2143 [2144] 2145 2146 ... 3842