Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969159 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28110 on: March 05, 2013, 11:28:43 am »

1st migrant wave consisted of a family that evidently has an incredibly martial tradition. All of the oldest daughters and the oldest son are decently trained pikedwarves, as is the mother. The two less skilled children, thier middle daughter, and youngest son may lack much but the girl has a passing skill in wrestling and the father is an axedwarf. I have resolved that this family shall serve in the army as one, though divided into two squads for training purposes.

We have a food storage, unfurnished dining area, a bunch of living spaces, and a place for whomever becomes our first legendary warsmith (my name for armorers and weaponsmiths.) Blocks are now being churned out to pave over the few soily paths to keep brush from growing in, our depot is composed of trees which refuse their leaves and bark (petrified wood is in my opinion the best stone ever, because they're stone trees,) and we have the extra dorf power to stark work on a mill and farms. At present we only have three crops upon which to survive.

Rye, cave wheat, and white grapes.

Taking all bets on starvation!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28111 on: March 05, 2013, 11:29:17 am »

Eh, maybe I shouldn't post this yet since this is a community fort where I haven't yet posted the update.  It's going to be a while before I can though, so... in the very unlikely chance it's spoilers, avert your eyes.  :)

Duskfields is early into its second year, and as the end of the first season approached, I grew nervous.  Thieves and ambushes were surely right around the corner.

I was right.

A thief came through the only ground opening to my settlement, where she was spotted by one of my veteran carpenters.  The militia commander Flamberge Snuggledbees (scoff not!) immediately flew into action (literally) and set upon her.  A leg and her head were later found atop the tavern.

Worried that an ambush would likely be not far behind, I stationed my four militia ponies at the entrance.  I was rewarded with the announcement of an ambush only moments later.  Five marksponies and a spear pony, against my swordspony and two spear ponies.  The spear ponies never even made it to the fight.

Flamberge surged forward and decapitated the spear pony with a single swing of his sword, throwing the marksponies into disarray.  They shot and shot at him, but only a single bolt struck home, embedding itself in his leg.  He didn't even slow down as he systematically removed legs, wings and heads with his sword.  The two survivors fled with all the speed their wings could bring them.

I thought I'd dodged a bullet here, only to discover there was a second ambush!  Seven hammer ponies!  Fortunately the spear ponies had arrived by this time, so I had three soldiers against seven.  Still terrible odds, but Flamberge is a killing machine so I prayed for a second miracle and received it in spades.

His first swing again slew the leader, sending the survivors running for their lives as he and the spear ponies set into them.  Flamberge himself was unharmed in the fight, claiming another 3 hammer ponies for himself while Captain Praetorian downed one.  He was then nearly killed by a hammer strike to the head, which shattered his skull and bruised his brain (modded to give a chance at surviving this).  His subordinate killed the one attacking him and got another for himself.  The single markspony I had decided to arrive right about now.  All told, ten discordant ponies lost their lives, and I nearly lost one.

Not a bad trade, considering these three soldiers were barely armored.  I now have lots of iron, steel and bronze to melt down to make more for them.  The expedition leader Temperance and I can only hope that their luck can hold out for the next ambush...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28112 on: March 05, 2013, 11:42:38 am »

Reminds me of my Limulid militia: Lot's of close calls but the enemy always runs or dies with few if any casualties of any sort.

Some jackass decided to sleep on my pumps so i have to wait to see if i can sow my rye. In the meantime, we now have a spot for a well (currently only a designated water zone as we lack a rope) and a space for a mill system so we can make  efficient use of our cave grains and when we get them in, the rye.

Worst comes to worse though and we can always kill the draft animals. The fighting animals are too valuable to butcher unless it's extremely dire.

Found some aluminum, a relic, fossils, and various kinds of zircons. Methinks trade will run smoothly once we get that stuff smelted and made into mugs (I find them a better use of resources when using unskilled metalcrafters.)

EDIT: First cave grain crops are in! maybe with luck we'll get one more in once we have some bags to get seeds from milling/brewing. Speaking of which, we're out so I really should get some made...

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28113 on: March 05, 2013, 12:15:20 pm »

Wheeledmoment has survived an ambush that caught most of the dwarves outside and initiated a low severity tantrum spiral. Unfortunately we are down to 20 dwarves, 3 of whom are still children and 8 of whom are weapon masters who spend all their time doing ICDs. The remaining 9 keep getting distracted by elven stragglers on flying mounts. I believe that locking up the survivors inside for a few decades and and letting them rebuild their numbers in a hedonistic paradise is the only way to keep the fortress from failing completely. I guess I could order the magma and water pumps to flow freely while they're at it. At least that will be a bit dorfy.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28114 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:26 pm »

This is me thinking waste of soldiers, to do that, so you could always not  let them train anymore. So long as they have civvie skills they won't give a damn and get back to work with no barracks assigned to them.

Minor racoon raid resulted in one torn to shreds by dogs and boars, one punched to death by a miner and another strangled to death by a pikedwarf. Fucks wanted to steal my corkscrews.

EDIT: Holy crap, more of the family arrived. Just as before, most of them have combat skills save a child who brought an armored mastiff with him. Oh and a decent armorer.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28115 on: March 05, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »

Goblin ambush killed humans, humans sieged me.

And wiped out my militia.

So I bottled up while I trained more dwarves, and an FB with deadly dust stops by and hospitalizes 18 of my 50-dwarf fort.
Meanwhile, Rippercommon the Cosmos of Blame
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: Apparently the dust rotted their eyes out entirely, also ability to stand and grasp is lost.  This is awesome.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 12:35:30 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Sulacsol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28116 on: March 05, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »

The first human caravan came to Diamondwasp today. Trading away some masterwork iron bolts and a walloon sword netted me all the leather and cloth I could ever need, nearly 200 units of meat, just as much alcohol, and seeds and cages. I even got some fine steel weapons, too. Now the bustling central hub is swarming with dwarves trying to stockpile everything, I only hope they put the meat in barrels this time.

Downstairs, the last of the pieces of iron armor to complete the sets for my militia dwarves (there are 12 in my fortress of 70) is sliding out of the legendary armor smith's forge, while around him the two apprentice armorers make helms and shields for trading and training, while the weapon smith is producing trap components. All five full time smelters are going crazy, converting the last of my coal supply into coke, smelting magnetite and gold, and generally being productive as I could ever hope.

We've just finished in moving the last of the beds for the last migrant waves, and our stone crafter churned out the last figurine the mayor asked for.

There has been very little trouble. A few cave-in's while digging the above-ground farms cost me a miner and a miner's hand, but no bad moods were resultant, and it gave me a reason to be more cautious when channeling. About seven kobold thief's came in a period of two months earlier in the year, but they were all chased off, as were three dark elf baby-snatchers. A fourth is now sitting unhappily in a bedroom hastily converted into a cage storage cell. I am left to wonder if he'll starve soon. Even if he does, no big loss.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28117 on: March 05, 2013, 12:57:25 pm »

Well this figures. Now I'm watching one kid like a hawk because the older of two children got snatched. I don't mind kids in manageable numbers like 2-5, so when one gets grabbed it actually annoys me. It also monkey wrenches my plan to have these kids become career soldiers, and their kids and so on to staff two particular squads. I mean i doubt the place would run that long, but hey.

Caravan came, and I almost crapped my pants when I remembered I had no trade goods. Six shoddy aluminum mugs later and our supply front is handled. Figures that the mill freezes in place (God damn screen lied to me) when i got mill bags.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28118 on: March 05, 2013, 01:22:13 pm »

[...]with no barracks assigned to them.
Ah, that's the part I was forgetting, now that the fort's fastest and strongest are all hauling stuff we might even get the hills cleaned for once.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28119 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »

Ah, that's the part I was forgetting, now that the fort's fastest and strongest are all hauling stuff we might even get the hills cleaned for once.
Yeah, I have a fort that currently really only has the army left, all of them weapon lords (Went from 117 to 12 dwarves in a little under a month if The Master is to be believed.) Needed to take their training privileges to save what few noncombatants were still clinging to life.

So, had a run in with some raptors. Woodsdwarf got his foot messed up but he bisected the offender in a fight of rage. How he did that with a small hand ax is something I find... Perplexing we'll say. The miners performed admirably, since they were the only armed dwarves besides the now wounded woodcutter and another, they were all i had to send to fight. One did well breaking bones with raw punching and kicking power since for some reason he left his pick behind while the other two went to work beating raptor ass. How none of them got hurt or killed I'll never know.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #28120 on: March 05, 2013, 01:30:47 pm »

Yeah, I have a fort that currently really only has the army left, all of them weapon lords (Went from 117 to 12 dwarves in a little under a month if The Master is to be believed.) Needed to take their training privileges to save what few noncombatants were still clinging to life.

So, had a run in with some raptors. Woodsdwarf got his foot messed up but he bisected the offender in a fight of rage. How he did that with a small hand ax is something I find... Perplexing we'll say. The miners performed admirably, since they were the only armed dwarves besides the now wounded woodcutter and another, they were all i had to send to fight. One did well breaking bones with raw punching and kicking power since for some reason he left his pick behind while the other two went to work beating raptor ass. How none of them got hurt or killed I'll never know.
Raptors are good war animals. Try and catch some.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28121 on: March 05, 2013, 01:35:08 pm »

They also make good eating.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28122 on: March 05, 2013, 01:40:25 pm »

Due to two legendary weaponsmith migrants, and a crapload of steel, a barely functional military managed to fight off two sieges. Feels pretty good.

They also make good eating.
Yup, tastes like the ancestor of chicken.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28123 on: March 05, 2013, 02:21:23 pm »

Out of 8 raptors, 2 go unused due to rotting. Oh well. Some serpent folk have decided to be annoying and lingering around my main staircase, so I'm digging a way for the troops to go and deal with them. What must be done, must be done.

ramensoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28124 on: March 05, 2013, 02:31:59 pm »

Whoa, it happened again!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guys love their weapons, the funny thing is this happened in the middle of a Forgotten Beast battle and I just imagined the guy going, "I'M GONNA SHOOT AGA... Man, I've been using this same bow for years, I should name it right in the middle of this major beast battle."
Pages: 1 ... 1873 1874 [1875] 1876 1877 ... 3839