Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1871 1872 [1873] 1874 1875 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972412 times)

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #28080 on: March 04, 2013, 11:54:37 am »

The grinder will be simple, just mine carts spinning around on tracks, and bashing everything to death, with a few cage traps before the grinders for live prisoners.

Should work nicely.
As long as you can keep dwarves from collecting the stuff in the grinder.

In Wheeledmoment we're down to 30 adults(14 military:4 marksdwarves, 10 assorted melee), 5 children, and one baby. The last migrant wave was with the last dwarven caravan over a decade ago. The ambushes are so frequent and large that we rarely have time to finish stripping the corpses of the last one before the next one arrives.

The quadriplegic ex-marksdwarf is still intent on trying to wash off a single spatter of his own blood.
The captain of the guard just threw a tantrum and punched the teeth out of an assigned war grizzly. "[...]but she is weak." my ass.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28081 on: March 04, 2013, 01:32:19 pm »

As long as you can keep dwarves from collecting the stuff in the grinder.
Oh yes, I plan on painting the area restricted, and using burrows to keep them out of it.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #28082 on: March 04, 2013, 02:04:36 pm »

Holy eff that is a lot of Protoceratops bone crafts and meat and flesh and lead and whatever. This MAY take a while... Also I'm going to keep to one Proto clutch at a time this year.

Dr_Nocturne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28083 on: March 04, 2013, 02:33:35 pm »

Decided my fort was doing too well so I decided to seize supplies from elf and human traders... Now we are at war with everyone except ourselves from time to time...
Did you know that if a female gives birth while sleeping it will walk/crawl away?
This won't end well, it never does...

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28084 on: March 04, 2013, 03:00:45 pm »

The Forgotten beast charges the dwarven child
The forgotten beast breathes a cloud of forgotten beast boiling extract
The forgotten beast is caught in a burst of boiling extract x10

The Beekeeper Bites the Forgotten Beast in the left front foot, breaking away a piece of the tissue
The Beekeeper latches on firmly

The forgotten beast  charges at the beekeeper but he jumpes away

The forgotten Beast charges at the duck
The forgotten Beast collides with the duck
the duck is knocked over

The Wax Worker punches the forgotten Beast in the left hand, breaking away part of the Tissue

The Dwarven Child kicks the Forgotten Beast x20

the Dwarven child punches the forgotten beast in the head with her right hand, and the severed part sails off in a arc!

True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #28085 on: March 04, 2013, 04:49:47 pm »

The Human Sina Rushánsizet has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

oh noes?

His name is in flashing cyan. Also, "Rushánsizet" means "Scholarsnacks", which is about the least threatening name I've ever heard.

Oh, he's listed as under "Others" but as "Friendly". Huh. The funny thing is, there aren't any human civilizations nearby. I don't get human traders, for example...
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28086 on: March 04, 2013, 04:56:02 pm »

The Human Sina Rushánsizet has come! A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.

oh noes?

His name is in flashing cyan. Also, "Rushánsizet" means "Scholarsnacks", which is about the least threatening name I've ever heard.

Oh, he's listed as under "Others" but as "Friendly". Huh. The funny thing is, there aren't any human civilizations nearby. I don't get human traders, for example...

I'm pretty sure this is a werecreature, just not in beast form.  I have one like this in my zoo, I think.

MrSparky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28087 on: March 04, 2013, 04:57:54 pm »

oh noes?

Sounds like a werebeast with premature transformation.
... as joe said while I was typing.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #28088 on: March 04, 2013, 05:23:13 pm »

Oh crap.

Well, thanks guys. I'll be on the lookout then. :)
Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Flanderbland

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28089 on: March 04, 2013, 05:31:38 pm »

Success! The dam at SplashCanyon is finished!

Was quite messy when the snows melted an my artificial lake started filling, with dwarves starting to fish at the bottom (despite the entire lake being a Restricted Zone with maxed out cost), and it ended with one baby drowning. Not that I care, had too many of those freeloaders anyway, so no big loss. The parents don't seem to care.

I now started project #2, constructing a fine balcony/statue garden a couple of levels below the floodgates that drain the dammed-up lake into the canyon, to get a nice waterfall effect added to it. Went fine, no troubles digging it out and furnishing it. I filled it with statues, gathered my dwarves for the grand unveiling, and opened the floodgates.

Question: Do you know what happens when you open two floodgates at the bottom of a four z-level deep lake? You how a toilet looks like when you flush? Yea, same thing here.

The water level in the lake dropped two z-levels in the blink of an eye (and, mind you, this is a pretty big lake), and before I realized what was happening, my balcony statue garden was quite heavily flooded due to, I'm guessing, the fact that there was more water than could "fit" falling down the cliff, so it started going wherever there was room. I closed the floodgates in time to avert disaster though, but my lovely balcony is now covered in mud... I think I need to adjust my dam design a bit...
"And Armok said to Urist: I am the alpha and the omega, the first and the last, the beer and the magma."

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28090 on: March 04, 2013, 05:33:08 pm »

Started on a glacier embark after a previous fort was wiped out by necromancers and infiniraising undead.

Dug down to the cavern level to start a farm, in the process of walling that off, a cave crocodile attacks!  Fortunately I had a migrant wave just before, because I ended up with eight casualties.  Six killed outright, one injured and died of thirst (no buckets), one of melancholy (really glad he didn't go berserk - as a miner he probably would have killed the rest of my dwarves).
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Dishwater

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28091 on: March 04, 2013, 06:22:57 pm »

CrystalPanthers got an undead siege during Autumn which prevented the dwarfish caravan from arriving but my lone soldier whirlpool of typhoons and his weapon RouthedYells pushed back the undead hordes back to the Underworld.
They were suspected to return on Spring and they did but this time brought 6 necromancers.
It was a long fight for our champion but he hit a trance while being outnumbered 160 to 1 but he stayed fighting and routed the enemy with his holy blade.

Now we wait for Summers undead and all the goblin armies as they approach our  small keep but he will be waiting and will not fall CrystalPanthers will stay strong so long as we have our guardian.

Our only injury was a stonecrafter who had his arms and legs broken by lashers
the only surviving lasher lies broken in a cavern prison.
Tomorrow I drop the zombies down there to entertain me and to dispose of other prisoners.

And as an interesting point this is a 1x1 embark that happened to get no cotton candy but can create steal

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28092 on: March 04, 2013, 06:26:02 pm »

They were suspected to return on Spring and they did but this time brought 6 necromancers.
It was a long fight for our champion but he hit a trance while being outnumbered 160 to 1 but he stayed fighting and routed the enemy with his holy blade.
Do tell. This is truly a legend.

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28093 on: March 04, 2013, 10:51:06 pm »

Like 10 Minutes ago :
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Elf Santa came. Any Questions ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I mean, I'm a totally peaceful player anyways ( I play without Invasions), but seriously, I think I love them now.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28094 on: March 04, 2013, 10:56:59 pm »

I didn't know that was possible. What's next, tame demons?
Pages: 1 ... 1871 1872 [1873] 1874 1875 ... 3839