Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122143 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26895 on: December 10, 2012, 09:25:44 am »

My miller went funny in the head and I now have a legendary woodcrafter. right as the elves ot ready t leave too, heh. Bought and slaughtered a giant thrips and have two new additions to my cave critter collection, a GCS and a giant toad. A cistern is being built following a design I used in Limulid to store water for the winter months to avoid having to go into the caverns for water during booze shortages. Paved over the water canal too in microcline to keep shit from growing in it.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26896 on: December 10, 2012, 09:33:21 am »

Found a good start area that includes a stream at a higher elevation then the entrance to my fort.  I have just set up a drowning chamber at the entrance, using a couple of drawbridges and a large resevoir.  I will have the water drain out of to the side of the map.  I have just tested the levers.  They should all be working.  The only real issue is the amount of ore I uncovered during my excavation.  That ore will be lost if I fill the resevoir--or at least, it will be inaccessible.  I might have to dump it, then relaim it.

In addition, I am slowly excavating a great hall.  It will have housing at the top, and a large eating hall/meeting place/throne room at the bottom.  I think I might also build a surface town on this mountain.  I will need to keep the lowlands clear, since there is only a small area where trees will grow.  I wonder how hard it would be to have a waterfall in the great hall?

I was able to purchase a giant jaguar and a giant tiger from the elves.  This was useful, since I encountered a Giant during the winter.  I set a line of cage traps in my entrance way, and retreated inside.  I had the giant animals at pasture near the front.  The Giant chased down and killed an elk and a yak.  Then, it went for the pasture.  The Giant Jaguar made relatively short work of the Giant, then killed a horse, for unknown reasons.

A metalworker is in a strange mood.  I don't have any metal bars.  Or a forge.  I think he is going to die.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26897 on: December 10, 2012, 11:55:47 am »

Evidently Furnace is the most beloved person in the fortress, beating Autumn Daze (A founder, born in early autumn) in the elction for the human equivalent to a mayor, the praetor. This also means eventually I'll need to install a town watch and executioner. Right now though, the more pressing concern is getting Furnace her Mayoral acoomodations, though for now the admin building is serving as a decent stopgap.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26898 on: December 10, 2012, 02:52:38 pm »

Wrex the legendary axelord militia commander has become attached to his bronze axe. I was going to give him an adamantine one... but I think I'll give the gobbos a slim chance of survival and leave him with the bronze one.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26899 on: December 10, 2012, 05:19:49 pm »

Whilst fuck-all nothin' was happening with the rest of the population, a pair of wolverine men came down from the mountains and beat up a dingo woman. She suffered only minor bruising, probably thanks in part to her wearing a cloak. They came after her again, and she killed one of them with her bare hands.

However, she still isn't wearing any pants. The dingo people have been having a bit of trouble with that, actually; since they don't wear the same size clothing as dwarves, I've had to assign half a dozen of them some clothesmaking/weaving duties. They do, luckily, make clothes of the appropriate size, but now dwarves and dingo people are competing for the textiles industry, and I only have so much cloth to go around. Need to grow more fibrous crops... The cobald caravan should show up this spring, and I'll be sure to take all their shit and murder them trade MECHANISMS for clothing and animals.

I've now assigned my animals for training, and dwarves adn a select few dingo people are teaching the beasts all about how to murder things. A gremlin child, whom I hadn't realized was part fo the work force, chose to train a giant great horned owl. So now the kid has a massive feathery guardian all to himself.
A rather miserable dingo man is also training the local giant dingo. In the event he goes bonkers about not having any pants, the giant dingo will hopefully eat him.

Also also, one of the wolverine men took revenge on us by killing somebody's pet guineacock, and some migrants showed up.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 05:41:31 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26900 on: December 10, 2012, 06:22:46 pm »

Dwarven politics can be quite interesting. I've wondered about the mechanics behind this. As far as I know high social skills influence who's elected, but in my forts there are tons of idlers after 3 decades and almost everybody is legendary in social skills. So I've noticed that my miller mayor lost the election in the year where he was busy all year when I decided to make dye out of my 2000 dimple cups. He had no time to make friends and promptly lost support. I wonder if I should disable all jobs on a dwarf without preferences to avoid mandates. Also after a certain point every mayor who had a crime punished lost the next election and never had a comeback.

I actually took a glance at all of my mayors in history; all of them had exactly level 9 (Professional) in at least 4 social skills.  Oddly enough, my current mayor has no friends, just a ton of passing acquaintances and four children.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #26901 on: December 10, 2012, 06:36:14 pm »

Had the perfect embark, with 3 layers of magnetite/limonite on top of another couple layers of flux, skimped on other things to load the wagon up with bituminous coal and jump-start metals. Year two rolls around, I've got a half-squad of iron-armored dwarves training nonstop and plans to start upgrading to steel. 1,000+ food and drink, no cares in the world.

Then the siege of the undead started. I counted 45 zombies of various types (on a 2x2 embark, no less). They tore through my military in no time at all, then casually flung half their military at my cage traps so the other half could mosey on up to the front door and go visit the fresh wave of migrants in the dining hall.

Everyone else fell within five minutes. I'm now down to one dwarf, who was "lucky" enough to get stunned and fall into one of my cage traps. He sits there, watching the clouds of miasma billow out of the entrance twenty feet away, listening to the moans and snarls of his former friends as their corpses are resurrected.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26902 on: December 10, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »

Out of boredom I genned a new less evil world to start a fort free from horrible muck. Out of curiosity, I instead embark at the only evil lands in the world where an evil taiga and evil forest meet. Both of them reanimate, as was obvious from the GIANT UNDEAD HEDGEHOG THAT COMES BARRELING OUT OF NOWHERE STRAIGHT TOWARDS OUR WAGON. The rest of the dorfs scatter like chickens while the blissfully unaware miners keep carving out the first basic storerooms/meeting hall. The hedgehog kills all the dogs, and things quickly spiral into a zombie apocalypse as the one dedicated hammerdorf I brought to deal with the undead gets his head ripped off by the giant pincushion of a zombie...that head then reanimated and played a part in killing off the reclaiming party of copper-clad hammerdorfs...all this from a giant undead hedgehog.

Giant undead hedghogs gotta go fast, man.

In other news I've returned to my other fort, Flagfastened or something, in my SuperEviltm world. We haven't seen that pair of giant gargoyles again, thank the RNG. We've built a small enclosure over our hole in the ground that is the entrance, and the first year dwarf caravan came and left before my manager-broker-bookkeeper-lazybum noble got around to trading. Or any other dorfs could bother, for that matter.

We've hit the second level of caverns, which is flooded. We're now setting up a hanging room off the main staircase to hold the well and take advantage of all that conveniently placed water. Maybe now our dorfs won't wander up to the surface brook to "clean off" and get attacked by giant gargoyles...The miners are searching for more ores or magma, while the furnaces are burning wood and smelting some galena and copper to forge sets of copper armor and another silver warhammer for our recruit hammerdorf and armor for the captain. We got a bunch of useless threshers and fisherdwarfs I plan to recruit once we get more armor up, and some xbows and bolts.

It's winter now, and we got 19 dorfs now. The farms, bedrooms, dining room, the start of the workshop and storage floors, and the forge levels are all carved out.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Carric

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26903 on: December 10, 2012, 10:34:41 pm »

The dwarven caravan arrived. I wanted weapons, they wanted figurines, anvils, blocks, and gems. I made them a fair trade, they said no. I gave them a 500* profit offer. They said no. I gave them a 1340* profit offer. They got tired of my childish games. How greedy can you get?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26904 on: December 10, 2012, 11:13:42 pm »

Why do my smiths all migrate in with some small furry mammal? 

And why do those small furry mammals always ignore the restricted traffic zone with the sign "Danger: Minecart loaded with heavy metal ores traveling at terminal velocity"?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26905 on: December 11, 2012, 12:01:22 am »

Well, if toady made them any smarter about crossing the tracks, they'd officially be mroe intelligent than their real-life counterparts.

Speaking of dumb animals, the dingo people are still having trouble with the concept of putting on clothing. And they're also becoming highly irritated due to their self-inflicted nudity. Yes, clothing is being manufactured now, but they won't put any of it on, the twits!

One of them went berserk, and had to be put down. His sister (according to her thoughts and prefs screen, tohugh she doesn't have any relatives listed on the relations screen.) is now miserable because she's even more poorly clothed than he was, and he's dead. Everyone that witnessed his death was also emotionally hurt by the sight. So, this is looking like the start of a semi-self-contained tantrum spiral that will leave the dingo man population low enough that whoever's left will never again have trouble finding pants.

This not more than a week after the same dingo man assaulted one of my militia captains.

Migrants arrived, though. So that's nice. Mountainhomes sent me half a squad of marksdwarves.

[micro edit;]
The sibling of the dingo man who went berserk is throwing herself a tantrum about having been completely naked until recently. She now has shoes and pants, but apparently that doesn't relieve her embarassment in the least. So far she's; beaten up the war grizzly bear she trained (not the brightest, this one), torn down the clothiers' workshop she was working in (further delaying the creation of a cloak to appropriate for herself) and thrown two of the logs in a nearby wood stockpile (quite a feat for someone so small)

Puberty must be one hell fo a ride for these guys.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 12:49:27 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26906 on: December 11, 2012, 01:08:37 am »

Dingopeople? Did you tame them or make them playable?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26907 on: December 11, 2012, 01:17:25 am »

The elves tamed them and I bought a half-dozen, they bred for a  few years, and essentially I pestered people on the forums until they told me how to operate DFusion and get the friendship utility working. Now I have a bunch of slow-ass hairy mini-dorfs doing work about 1/2 as quickly as the dwarves do. They seem to be taking on the half-assed slow pace animals do when they're meandering over to a destination, like a meeting hall. They move two steps, wait one, move one, wait another, move a few, sniff some flowers, so on and so forth. Except when they're actually hauling something in their hands; then they seem more inclined to get a move on.

Thanks, Splint and Warmist for helping me with that.

[edit;]

The damn woman went berserk, just like her brother. I bet their mother/younger siblings/children are gonna be next.

[double edit]

Now her mother is beating up the same woman her brother did. Maybe she's a racist old hag, or something, and now she's getting the blame for the kids' deaths.
And one of them is melancholy, as well. These guys are dying like dogs.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:43:35 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26908 on: December 11, 2012, 01:21:36 am »

Odd about thier hauling. I had tigermen who when mobile yeah, moved slow, moreso below ground, but when hauling they tended to pretty much charge though people pretty fast.

caleb

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fort - Ironwrath
    • View Profile
« Reply #26909 on: December 11, 2012, 01:47:10 am »

Recently came back to the game since I'm laid up with a broken leg / ankle. Lost my old regions and saves so I reinstalled a fresh copy to get back to basics until I get my 'sea-legs' back. Went through the usual first couple of years setting up industries and military when I realized it had been 3-4 years without much FUN. That didn't last long, went down to the first cavern layer and was met at the door by a Giant Cave Spider who proceeded to pwn half my military before being killed. Just as I start cleaning up the mess I get sieged, and a marsh titan!!

Ezung Slonustez Lulodasthu, Marsh Titan

An enormous hairy ribbon worm. It has a broad shell and it has an austere look about it. Beware its fire!

I was expecting the usual fire breath similar to a dragon's, this guy said fuck that and brought fireballs to the party and decimated the gobbos. The fortress was already in a fair amount of danger, I tend not to turtle up during sieges etc. So I send the remnants of my army out to rush the Titan through the wall of smoke from the brush fire. This of course set most of my military on fire pretty much damning the fortress to be destroyed. Then a hero emerged from the smoke and fire a single *Capybara Bone Bolt* striking the Marsh Titan in the body, tearing the muscle and tearing the brain! Needless to say this guy is my new general and I have plans to install him as ruler at my first opportunity. Things definitely took a turn for the best and the game brought me the FUN I forgot about. I think Ironwrath is fairly appropriate for this fortress as well, so far all I have been able to find is Zinc :(

Edit: Titan burned a hippie caravan too :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 01:52:49 am by caleb »
Pages: 1 ... 1792 1793 [1794] 1795 1796 ... 3842