Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1742 1743 [1744] 1745 1746 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125936 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26145 on: October 17, 2012, 07:18:51 pm »

New fort, and this happens:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That red "o" is a great horned owl zombie thrall. Those other things are carp.

The carp killed a thrall.

I'm staying the hell away from this river, and its uber-powerful carp.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26146 on: October 17, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »

One day those carp will become thralls, on that day the gods will weep.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26147 on: October 17, 2012, 07:43:25 pm »

Currently making a new fort near the magma sea after piercing the aquifer (actually 2 aquifers with an entirely dry z-level between them).

This picture also provides clear evidence that I don't care about fort layout or planning.

EDIT: also found out I have a vampire in the fort and he/she took out one of my best growers.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 07:47:27 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26148 on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:38 pm »

... Please tell me the U are entombed human remains. Please.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26149 on: October 17, 2012, 08:25:28 pm »

... Please tell me the U are entombed human remains. Please.
If you are talking about the white Ü's in my screenshot, it's Ferrovanadium from the LFR mod.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26150 on: October 17, 2012, 09:33:26 pm »

Damn. But cool at the same time.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26151 on: October 17, 2012, 09:46:33 pm »

I thought they were some sort of aggresive modded cavern life that was huddling around you. you.

Come to think of it, that would be a nice change from the usual "Don't know you're there, ladidadida" or "I SEE YOU ARRRGGGHHH. I WILL KILL YOU" that is all cavern life. Just, waiting. Crowding around the entrance. Not moving. Just, watching.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26152 on: October 17, 2012, 09:49:00 pm »

I thought they were some sort of aggresive modded cavern life that was huddling around you. you.

Come to think of it, that would be a nice change from the usual "Don't know you're there, ladidadida" or "I SEE YOU ARRRGGGHHH. I WILL KILL YOU" that is all cavern life. Just, waiting. Crowding around the entrance. Not moving. Just, watching.
It would be cool to see an inquisitie or predatory AI that investigated buildings and zones or followed dwarves from a distance.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26153 on: October 17, 2012, 10:03:19 pm »

The main problem with grasping tails is military equipment issues when you order them to replace clothing, because the tails won't be right or left, so they won't stick normal gauntlets onto them  (Sticking gloves on their tails is a whole 'nother issue, but I'm going with willing suspension of disbelief here).  This leaves their tail naked and prone to being hit - my militia commander has been in the hospital twice now for a broken tail.

With gauntlets made from a custom reaction, however, it seems I can order them to stick things on their tails as reaction-made handwear doesn't have right/left things.  Now, to figure out if this is acceptable or if I have to stick a right or left tag on their tails so they'll do this naturally.

It also seems like every fort I make is destined for a raven-training industry.  Freaking ravens.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26154 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:14 pm »

My clothier turned into a crow.
Wut.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26155 on: October 17, 2012, 10:32:47 pm »

Shit a were-elk appeared.  My militia commander managed to kill it, but was bitten twice.  Quarantine time!

Edit: Oh god some idiot hunter decided to take on the newly-appeared GCS in the caverns.  He's now dead for his troubles and it killed one of my founding genomes (the were-bitten militia commander's lover, too) who rushed down there like lemmings to claim the dead guy's stuff before I could forbid it.  So much cancellation spam.  The marksmen took care of it, but that was retarded.

I probably would have caught the appearance of the GCS if it weren't for that fucking were-elk and the migrants that arrived at the same time.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 11:02:20 pm by Clover Magic »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26156 on: October 17, 2012, 10:36:08 pm »

Contrary to popular belief rain can create thralls.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26157 on: October 17, 2012, 11:59:06 pm »

I sent my obsidian farm to nega-space.

My only theory as to how involves a bit of a burrows snafu, where I told the miners to mine the obsidian but didn't set the adjacent spaces as inside the burrow, so they went there and had nowhere to stand. So I included the surrounding space in the burrow. Didn't help.

So I had them channel the obsidian away from above. No problem, it's part of the obsidian farm system reset process anyway. But the Dwarves wouldn't dump the obsidian rocks into the quantum stockpile. It wouldn't even generate Dump Item jobs. So I made a stockpile of nothing but obsidian. The Dwarves still wouldn't touch the cursed obsidian. So I tried to build a wall inside the obsidian farm, right on top of one of the stones so that the pathing couldn't possibly be messed up.

I was very, very, very wrong about the pathing not being messed up.

The distance from the wall to the obsidian in the same space? Negative 20,000 spaces.
The distance from a tile to the obsidian in an adjacent tile: negative 12,500 spaces. Usually. It's actually random out of -10,000, -12,500, and -20,000. And in some parts of the room it won't let me try to build anything because the distances to all available materials are apparently too hugely negative.

Okay, thought I, I'll just save and reload the game. Maybe the pathing will reset into something resembling coherence.

WRONG, BITCH! ...says the game.

I tried to build a wall in there. "there is no access to non-economic building material." Oops, I'd set all of the obsidians to be dumped. Silly me. But the obsidian farm is apparently still in nega-space, since that area should have access to all the stone in my fort.

Try to build a wall one space away from an obsidian stone. Distance: -1.
Try to build a wall on top of an obsidian stone. Distance: 0. Promising.
Try to build a wall in a different spot (right on a stone). Distance: -1,500.
Try to build a wall in a different spot (1 away from a stone). Distance: -4,000.
Try to build a wall in a different spot (right on a stone). Distance: -8,500.
Try to build a wall in the same spot. Distance: -12,500.
Try to build a wall in the same spot. Distance: -16,000.
Try to build a wall in the same spot. Distance: -17,500.

Oh, and just to top this whole mess off with a space-nullifying cherry, it says that there are 31 units of obsidian available to build stuff in this space with. So I opened up the specific building material sub-menu. One at distance 0, two at distance -26,500, and that's it. After a quick poke around, 21 apparently means 2, 31 apparently means 3, and 41 apparently means 4. Oh yay, a shred of consistency in my garden of entropy.

What the epic fuck.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 12:06:23 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26158 on: October 18, 2012, 12:10:37 am »

Oh how I love you humies. Exotic metals we can't produce onsite.... Weapons for weapontraps.... AND GALLONS AND GALLONS OF SWEET DELICIOUS BOOZE. Seriously,  think one wagon was nothing but food and booze. Bought every last scrape and I have an extra room in case I need the storage space.

A soldier who was wounded last year finally has her wounds healed. It wasn't kidding when it said slow to heal. A peasent became a trader, and that soldier has "gone without a drink for far, far too long." Ony our feet soldier! You aren't truly sober yet!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26159 on: October 18, 2012, 12:32:33 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What the epic fuck.
[/quote][/spoiler]

I don't know what you did, but we must weaponize it to fuck with the goblins and elves with.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1742 1743 [1744] 1745 1746 ... 3842