Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1740 1741 [1742] 1743 1744 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126024 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26115 on: October 16, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »

Ok, populace of Osorumer.

It's not the mayor's fault a giant fire-breathing beetle destroyed the trade depot and ate all your children, but if you think replacing him will solve things, be my guest.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26116 on: October 16, 2012, 07:20:15 pm »

I'm currently trying to start up a fort in a terrifying forest where two rivers cross in a 6 to 7 z-level deep chasm. It's fantastic for building, but I made the mistake of taking the Pick and Plump Helmet challenge before seeing the actual embark site.

There's no undead, thankfully, but it's always raining ooze that makes dorfs bleed at random intervals, and it's starting to piss 'em off. There's not a lot of stuff to make them happy, we don't have much food or booze and dorfs are getting tired of drinking puss and ooze filled water.

Tantrums are probably imminent, and I dunno how to make the dorfs happier. It's SUCH a great building site though, I might reclaim MurderedRoof if things go to crap.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26117 on: October 16, 2012, 08:16:16 pm »

I'm also beginning science on a phenomenon I've noticed recently that could make hauling mountains of items quick and efficient. More on that later.

You need to understand, what I took from that sentence is:

make hauling mountains quick and efficient.

I am so very intrigued.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26118 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:18 pm »

Waterspear update.

As a follow-on to the destruction of the human 'siege' the fortress military decided that the western approaches needed better overwatch and control.  As a result a series of archery bunkers with underground access are being erected to ensure that any future besiegers camp could be harassed by marksdwarves.

Three of the initially planned five have been completed.  Construction work was interrupted by the arrival of a goblin siege preempting the autumn caravan's arrival.  Five goblin squads arrived, but only three showed any real intent to attack.  These were shredded by marksdwarf squads using the old fortifications and one of the new bunkers.  A few goblins were captured for interrogation as well.

The bark scorpions and a few snakes on the Outer Keep ditch were killed by a goblin master lasher.  However, they took out three goblin mounts in their final acts of combat.

The only dwarven casualty is a swordmaster in the hospital with a broken leg.  A giant cave swallow corpse fell on him.   :o
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #26119 on: October 16, 2012, 08:33:36 pm »

600k + in wealth and not a goblin in sight.

History of goblin attacks:

A 2 squad ambush during the dwarven caravan.

A 1 squad ambush a year or two later.

That's it. That last one was about a year ago.

I want a dang goblin attack!

I have a basic trap hall, and mediocre militia, but I don't care.

I want GOBLINS.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26120 on: October 16, 2012, 08:42:42 pm »

One of my farmers went Stark Raving Mad in a meta way... as in, he's been completely mind-raped to the point that he lacks motor function, but the game still declares him sane and healthy.

He went outside after the Human siege, took a look around (there wasn't much devastation, except for maybe some trampled grass), decided to take up a bin and collect some loot... and he's been standing in that spot, just outside the gate, waiting for the day his bin will come back to him so that he can do his Dwarven duty.

I expect he'll stay there until he drops dead of sobriety, but in the meantime he'll make almost as good a guard dog as the actual guard dogs.

In other news, this fort recently became the first fort I ever had that produced two artifact mechanisms. Huh-friggin'-zah. I already planned for the first one to be the lever that constitutes the RELEASE ALL THE MAGMA! lever, but what epic purpose shall I assign to this new one? Perhaps it shall be the starting bell for the four-way battle royale over hell.

Edit: That one week of winter finally came, and with it the sweet spot of time where the second biome of the map freezes, and the map in general is cold enough to allow ice to stay solid when mined. So I turned off temperature, and got  sieged by goblins. They made it into the Hallway Of Too Friggin' Many Cage Traps, and stayed put because their leaders were caught. So, I pulled the lever to close the bridge and seal some of them in, and stationed the turret squad to take potshots at them through the fortifications. Turns out that live targets make good target practice for marksdwarves.

But the goblins themselves are secondary to the fact that there are goblins between me and my frozen river, which is annoying me. How am I suppose to build a floating bridge made of ice without ice?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:19:44 am by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26121 on: October 17, 2012, 01:29:26 am »

Accidentally dropped a miner into the caverns.  Dug a path back in and thought I'd sealed it up nice like with a door.  Then the cave troll came.  It wandered quietly up the stairwell to my entrance level where it encountered a pet goose.  This was my first notice of a cave troll in the fort.

It took me a second to find out, by which time the swordmaster and his pupil had dispatched it (stuck them right behind the doors to handle any thieves that make it in that far, but I scrolled through the combat log.  He fought some dogs and this goose for a bit, took a swing at a mason somewhere along the way.  And then the goose dies.

Urist McManager:GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

HE KICKED A TROLL IN THE HEAD!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26122 on: October 17, 2012, 01:32:37 am »

Friends are attacked, cave ogre causing trouble: No reaction.
Pet goose dies: I'LL KILL YOU WITH MY BARE HANDS!

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26123 on: October 17, 2012, 08:01:21 am »

MurderedRoof's happiness levels have stabilized. Some dorfs are still a bit unhappy, but there's no longer a risk of a tantruming miner punching in the brewer's face anymore.

we've got some ground meat biscuits from one of the horses and finally gathered enough surface plants to brew some drinks, I've got a statue garden in a soon-to-be engraved room and also one down by our future well and local waterfall. After butchering the horse and prolonged exposure to the biome, there seems no risk of undead or reanimated horse hair.

work on a well is going, since I'm tired of all the "cancels clean self:water contaminated" messages and it gives an extra happy thought.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26124 on: October 17, 2012, 10:42:52 am »

New fort, intersection of two evil biomes and one normal freshwater lake. Vile filth on one side, nauseating slime on the other. The Slime causes excruciating pain and full body blisters, blindness, and a blood producing cough, under some circumstances those blisters spread to the lungs causing the victim to suffocate. Luckilly an occasional cleansing rain passes through, wiping the land clean of filth. All seven dwarves were effected immdiately, they managed to build a dock out to the lake in between bouts of passing out from the pain. Four lost their ability to stand, see, and breath and showed no signs of recovery. Diagnosed with advanced Nauseating Slime Sickness three died shortly after the dock was finished as did a horse and one of the dogs. The miner recovered but has fallen into a deep depression wondering why she survived.

The four remaining dwarves venture out only when it rains to gather supplies necessary to fortify their new home, Barricaded Kindles. The Earth Struck Back.

NESgamer190

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundle hugger
    • View Profile
« Reply #26125 on: October 17, 2012, 10:46:46 am »

A new fort was founded...  though it's playing off of the lumberjack and the rock nut challenge to a degree.
I'll be permitted to dig out a "dorm", along with an underground farm and a couple stones if necessary, and am permitted to bring along several animals and other food stuff, but once that is out, the dwarves will subsist on only quarry bushes and their byproducts.  (Why do I have this feeling it's going to end poorly in the form of sober dwarves?)  As of now, the fort's not exactly strong yet, having no defenses yet, but a form of lumber castle is under way.  NO clue how many reclaims I'll have to do until I get a sustainable fort for 200 dwarves, but I can safely say one thing about the embark:  There ain't any engravings happening.  (A pity the game tricked me with the ocean region tile, and not giving me everlasting flow water.  Not even a tide comes by, but the driftwood's still there.)  Took to a heavily forested area, along with a 'shore' and woodland section.  LOTS of murky pools to make use of a cistern, but it's warm, so I should be fine on that front.

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26126 on: October 17, 2012, 11:04:52 am »

Got bored with the last fort and the never-ending parade of goblins eviscerating themselves in the front entrance way.

I decided instead restart in a mountain biome.  This is the first time I've started in a biome not teeming with the dreaded enemy, trees.

So far, I've dug out the basics, including a trade depot.  The location has two mountains joined by a saddle, with steep (but not extreme) cliffs.  in the northwest is a river head.  In the southeast is a flat field consisting of sand and exposed shale.  I dug into the mountainside from the field, and immediately began mining out an underground resevoir.  I was happy to learn that the earth underneath the fieldl consisted of sand, allowing me to dig out substantial farmlands.

I think we will be building a small town on the plain, with a wall around it--somewhat like Dale and the Lonely Mountain.  I might also try to build Orthanc.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26127 on: October 17, 2012, 11:08:59 am »

The Castle of Lungs has decreed that a new settlement be made, in the nearby sinister badlands. Ores are rumored to be rich, and is worth the risk to travel into an evil land. 7 lucky dwarves gather their equipment, and head off to glory.

Calling the settlement Rashkez, or Deathnegated, the dwarves arrive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A small hole in the ground is dug for shelter, and supplies moved underground. A small milita is equipped with basic gear, and ordered to train near the entrance to the cave.

A flock of ravens flies into a fiendish ash cloud, which thralls them and contaminates them with ash. The ravens attack the pack animals, killing one and turning the other into a thrall.

The thralled animals run into the cave, killing 3 dwarves, thralling another 3, and sending the remaining one (a proto-noble) running into the wilds... Directly into an ash cloud.

Reclaim!

A milita of 2 sworddwarves and 2 axeswarves are given copper gear, and 2 masons are brought along to attempt to take back the fledgling fort.

An ash cloud hovers nearby, and suddenly overwhelms the dwarves, instantly thralling them all in one fell swoop. (Seriously, the ash cloud spawned 5 tiles away, and hit right after I unpaused.)

Reclaim! (again)

Same setup, milita is grabbing their gear when thralls spring from ambush. (An ambush, curse them! x3) Everyone is killed or thralled nearly as fast as before.

I'm starting to think I need to find another place to set up camp.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26128 on: October 17, 2012, 12:00:14 pm »

Ten Migrants, seven died in the hospital. We're back to seven dwarves.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26129 on: October 17, 2012, 01:36:18 pm »

In a funny twist, two genomes named Plai have become romantically involved with two others named Arhka, and all four are founders.  The two males even resemble each other somewhat - I'm calling secret founder twins.

Our ocean is barren of fish, which is a sad thing as I only discovered this after I built a nice little fishing platform over it.  Maybe large fish will come, though, so I'm debating the effort of trying to start a shark breeding farm or something.

The fall migrant wave has brought us to 19, and steel production has begun.  Things are going nicely - probably because I didn't embark in an evil biome for once.   :P
Pages: 1 ... 1740 1741 [1742] 1743 1744 ... 3842