Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1741 1742 [1743] 1744 1745 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6125925 times)

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26130 on: October 17, 2012, 03:07:36 pm »

Things are going smoothly in Zan. We have a village of 56 dwarves. In this one summer, we've had two births and a marriage. The dining hall and dormitory is finished. The depot can now be flooded and drained at will. We have a nice waterfall in the main hall to keep spirits high, and we've had no tantrums thus far. We have had five deaths, though. Three from animal attacks, one from a failed mood, and one just...died. She just sat in her workshop and wouldn't eat or drink. I've never seen it before.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26131 on: October 17, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »

Seems I have an easily pleased Baron. One of them buckler lovers. May need to sell or destroy all bucklers at some point. I wonder what I'll have to do to sufficently piss off the elves to get them to send assault teams....

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26132 on: October 17, 2012, 03:27:05 pm »

(...)
 We have had five deaths, though. Three from animal attacks, one from a failed mood, and one just...died. She just sat in her workshop and wouldn't eat or drink. I've never seen it before.
I had this problem few times, then I realized that some workshops have more blocking tiles than another. The worst imo is jeweler workshop, which can block one side. Look for dark green tiles when placing workshops, they are impassable. The dwarf who builds the workshop dies inside of it.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26133 on: October 17, 2012, 03:40:37 pm »

(...)
 We have had five deaths, though. Three from animal attacks, one from a failed mood, and one just...died. She just sat in her workshop and wouldn't eat or drink. I've never seen it before.
I had this problem few times, then I realized that some workshops have more blocking tiles than another. The worst imo is jeweler workshop, which can block one side. Look for dark green tiles when placing workshops, they are impassable. The dwarf who builds the workshop dies inside of it.
And here I thought giving each workshop its own room was a good idea.
Oh, and one of my miners bruised his groin in a cave-in. I made finishing the hospital a top priority.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 03:42:50 pm by chaosgear »
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26134 on: October 17, 2012, 03:52:10 pm »

Screw those lone cells that can be sealed easily. I use large work bays otprevent things like that. And to make potential failed moods more Fun if it's berserker.

I still don't know what I'm going to do with my earthware bricks, but I needed my penance troops to have a profession besides peasant. Taking all bets on how long they'll survive when I deem them battleready (considering they only have copper mail shirts under wood and elvish weaponry.)

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26135 on: October 17, 2012, 05:00:30 pm »

(...)
And here I thought giving each workshop its own room was a good idea.

I always put my workshops in 7x7 rooms, four workshops per room, with a staircase in the middle and the raw materials in a stockpile in the room above. With enough vertical space, you can put four 7x7 workshop rooms around your central staircase on each z-level easily, and everything is just nice.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26136 on: October 17, 2012, 05:03:18 pm »

I keep me workshops in 5x5 rooms, all within a single industry section, with a single industry specific stockpile.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26137 on: October 17, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »

I just pay attention to where the blocking tiles are, heh.  I like my workshops in rooms for the aesthetic.  Rooms, rooms everywhere!

In fort news, a towering quadruped composed of snow appeared in the second cavern.  It doesn't even have webs or fire or syndrome or anything.  Just composed of snow with wings.  I think this is the easiest FB ever, and a vast disappointment over the native silver bristleworm with poisonous vapors from the last fort.  Or the other quadruped I once had made of salt, but had poisonous gas that made everyone who touched it bleed to death in approximately five seconds.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26138 on: October 17, 2012, 05:20:05 pm »

yep, happiness has stabilized. Our miner and woodcutter dorfs are actually ecstatic for some crazy reason.

Currently channeling out an aboveground farm "greenhouse" so we can grow something other than plump helmets (which we still have only one of) and our farmer can gain skill.  Meanwhile, our gifted weaver peasant has been collecting all the webs on our 4th of the map to weave into cloth. Maybe we can whip up some clothes to trade before the dorf caravan arrives.

The well still isn't set up, but if the dorf on fishing duty doesn't mind fishing by the muck filled river out in the ooze rain, then I'll let him. Any other useless, idle dorfs are hauling blocks to start building a scaffold of flooring to plan out how I want my hanging fort to be built. Our mason is working constantly to supply the blocks.

In other news, it's actually raining water for once. It's a bit of a shock to watch the !!fabulous!! purple heinous ooze wash away to see actual grass.

Hopefully we can have the first floor of proper MurderedRoof up by the time winter rolls around to move the dorfs and workshops into.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26139 on: October 17, 2012, 05:43:22 pm »

Well, I need to floor off my merchant access.  Fucking moogles fly and each time they decide to apparently engage in flying weight-lifting competitions to see who can lift their pack animal the highest before it falls back down.  One merchant recently "won", as he managed to kill his pack animal doing this and caused the caravan to turn tail and leave.  It gave me free goodies, so I don't really mind though, but I ought to do something about that.

In  other news, a bunch of vultures flocking to try to steal the dead pack animal's stuff.  One recruit has decided that the best martial option is simply to bite down and shake vigorously.  It's working.

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #26140 on: October 17, 2012, 05:59:51 pm »

Well, I need to floor off my merchant access.  Fucking moogles fly and each time they decide to apparently engage in flying weight-lifting competitions to see who can lift their pack animal the highest before it falls back down.  One merchant recently "won", as he managed to kill his pack animal doing this and caused the caravan to turn tail and leave.  It gave me free goodies, so I don't really mind though, but I ought to do something about that.

Yeah, I had the same problem with my "flying dorf" experiment. It seems [FLIER] civilizations and the trading system just don't want to cooperate.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26141 on: October 17, 2012, 06:19:20 pm »

I just decided to start playing fortress mode again:
This will be the first time I work with water.
The dwarves will soon learn to worship it, I think.
Lest they be struck down by its wetness.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26142 on: October 17, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »

I fucking love this new fort. The Evil Rain causes severe blisters that eventually spread to the lungs and the Cleansing Rain washes it away.  Every animal that enters the map, has organs, and doesn't manage to get out of the rain ultimately dies so the outside world is filled with dead bodies. When the rain comes and washes away the goop my non-essential dwarves run out into the rain, scavenge all the dead animals, and  cut down as many trees as they can. Then when the blister rain starts up I activate the tuck-tail alert and the dwarves all run back inside. The ones who get exposed generally make a quick visit to the hospital then ,providing they got back inside in time, they're fine. I may write a story about it.

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26143 on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:27 pm »

I fucking love this new fort. The Evil Rain causes severe blisters that eventually spread to the lungs and the Cleansing Rain washes it away.  Every animal that enters the map, has organs, and doesn't manage to get out of the rain ultimately dies so the outside world is filled with dead bodies. When the rain comes and washes away the goop my non-essential dwarves run out into the rain, scavenge all the dead animals, and  cut down as many trees as they can. Then when the blister rain starts up I activate the tuck-tail alert and the dwarves all run back inside. The ones who get exposed generally make a quick visit to the hospital then ,providing they got back inside in time, they're fine. I may write a story about it.
That sounds fun as heck.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26144 on: October 17, 2012, 06:50:22 pm »

Turns to having an entrance thick with deadly traps is a bad idea when your dwarves frequently pass out. A fish dissector just barely made it inside and collapsed on 10 giant steel axe blades. He is now a jigsaw puzzle. 
Pages: 1 ... 1741 1742 [1743] 1744 1745 ... 3842