Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1739 1740 [1741] 1742 1743 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6126023 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #26100 on: October 16, 2012, 01:35:00 pm »

Well, the hammerdwarf who had to beat her own hand to death threw a tantrum, killed 2 kids and a marksdwarf, then had her arm broken in several places by a comrade. She was taken to her bedroom, where she promptly starved to death, raised as a zombie, and killed all the kids in the bedroom area.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We walled off our living quarters, trapping the horde of zombies inside.

Our weaver has gone stark raving mad.

The rest of us are trying to pick up the pieces, huddling in the dirt by the farms. We have cobbled together what supplies we could, and are trying to calm everyone down. Our numbers slowly dwindle, as friends and relatives go insane from grief. Babies who lost their mothers are starving and dehydrated, and there is nothing we can do to help them.

Finally, there are just a few of us left... there is nothing for us here any more. We leave behind slabs dedicated to our loved ones, their reanimated corpses trapped within the bedrooms, and take what little supplies we can salvage. We make a wagon, and make an attempt to leave this forsaken place behind us... but the memories will never fade.

Nor will the screams.

((Most. Fun. Ever. Spent a day or so deciding how to deal with this, and it went quite well. Population of 35, with 10 kids/babies, down to 8.  Halls covered in blood, shuffling zombies around every corner, and a massive graveyard.))

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26101 on: October 16, 2012, 02:07:26 pm »

Someone adopted the giant Adder, and one of the dogs I have found is named Tinsplatters. Also I just noticed the fort lived to the world centenial. I still eagerly await the elves so I may arm the penance corps. Those miserable wretches sucked up food and drink, so now the majority must earn thier place: If they survive three battles while using elvish gear, they graduate to goblinite, and if they survive a siege using that, then they recieve homeforged weaponry composed of light armor (iron mail shirts, leather body armor and whatever happens to be available  to cover the rest) and steel weapons. I also pitched a gorlak into my giggle pit filled with menacing wooden spikes.

Following purchase of all useful bits and penance equipment, I shall offer wood and make the knife-ears piss the hell off.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26102 on: October 16, 2012, 02:41:54 pm »

Currently playing one of my first masterwork fortresses that has reached the monarch phase (I usually keep pop cap under 100) and darn, I'm not sure it its a bug, but the king brought 8 lazy noble "lords and ladies" with him and they all seem to be able to make atleast 2 mandates. Boom, 11 mandates in a few months. (I suppose it is a mod bug)

Needless to say, some of them met an "unexpected" accident with the local clown population in an "accident" room behind my king's throne room. I always thought that the king's quarters were a good place to hide a clowncar.

Speaking of clowns, my fort has been using them for various useful and less useful deeds. I dug a nice airlock/grate/hatch system to manage them and lead them to their desired locations.

I play with fixed diplomats and the elves started bugging me. I build a nice little surprise for them in a special elf depot. I wonder what was going in their minds when the airlock closed and clowns started pouring in. Too bad that I can't open the airlock or get rid of them anymore.
I also started using the same tunnels for getting rid of my excess water from my king's personal waterfall. It is easier just to dump it into the clowntent than pump it back up. (Also hoping that it will sweep down atleast some of those darn nobles)

Edit: Now a wrestler failed a mood and went berserk. She was carrying her baby when it happened... Led to nasty results.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:44:33 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26103 on: October 16, 2012, 02:45:03 pm »

Currently playing one of my first masterwork fortresses that has reached the monarch phase (I usually keep pop cap under 100) and darn, I'm not sure it its a bug, but the king brought 8 lazy noble "lords and ladies" with him and they all seem to be able to make atleast 2 mandates. Boom, 11 mandates in a few months. (I suppose it is a mod bug)

Needless to say, some of them met an "unexpected" accident with the local clown population in an "accident" room behind my king's throne room. I always thought that the king's quarters were a good place to hide a clowncar.

Speaking of clowns, my fort has been using them for various useful and less useful deeds. I dug a nice airlock/grate/hatch system to manage them and lead them to their desired locations.

I play with fixed diplomats and the elves started bugging me. I build a nice little surprise for them in a special elf depot. I wonder what was going in their minds when the airlock closed and clowns started pouring in. Too bad that I can't open the airlock or get rid of them anymore.
I also started using the same tunnels for getting rid of my excess water from my king's personal waterfall. It is easier just to dump it into the clowntent than pump it back up. (Also hoping that it will sweep down atleast some of those darn nobles)
Masterwork has the king bring a shitload of lords and ladies with him. Their annoying as all hell.

Tamber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FurryHelix
« Reply #26104 on: October 16, 2012, 03:15:51 pm »

I... I tried to reclaim Clenchglazed. It did not go well; except for one thing.

My sole remaining dwarf (I embarked on it as Dwarves this time; why not, I've not played as them in a while.) did this by punching and kicking it. Everyone else !!died!! to the FBs.

A snippet, for your amusement. Something worth bearing in mind: He had no armour or weapon, throughout this.

The contributions of the friendly !!goblins!! shall not be forgotten, though. I'd bury them with honours, if there was enough left of them to bury.

Faux edit: Aaaand the remaining dwarf just got ganked by a web-spraying nasty. Awesome, but there's no way I can clean that up.  :-\
I see !!elves!! of green, and red !!magma!! too; I see them burn for me and you; and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26105 on: October 16, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

Recently got an announcement that a Forgotten Beast was no longer enraged. So I went to the report and zoomed in on it...

No wonder I had ignored that beast showing up, it had appeared in the first cavern, which is a flipping mess by anybody's standards. I mean, holy cow.
The entire place is covered with the ichor, blood, and various extracts of several forgotten beasts who had been injured and then ran around tracking grime and general poison-ness everywhere. It's also infested with the undead; none of the corpses down there ever leave, and everything that goes down there gets turned into a corpse by either ambient sickness or by other corpses, eventually. The forgotten beast was no longer enraged because it had been killed by a swarm of about 30 troglodytes, elk birds, and dralthas, with a cave crocodile and a troll thrown in for good measure.

That cavern layer has a small pond, too. With the red blood, blue water, and white ichor "extract" all over the place, my first cavern layer looks like somebody's sick, twisted joke about zombie America.

I don't go to the first cavern much.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention the skeletal elk bird that has evolved to become immune to magma. It's been sitting in the magma pipe smoldering away for about 4 years now, billowing smoke like a boss and not giving a fuck.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 03:33:07 pm by shoruke »
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26106 on: October 16, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »

Skeletal anythings don't die by bleeding and hence wont die unless you cast thier ass.

A worthless stone bracelet was made. If artifact makers who made such items would just wear them I would at least be less annoyed by thier presence.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26107 on: October 16, 2012, 05:25:33 pm »

Number of elite soldiers has now reached 4. Three elite marksdwarves and the above elite Spearmaster. Got to think of a new title for Spearmasters. Cerol is an old Dwarf at the age of 109, married to Doc Tekkud, age 110.

Dawww ♥

Now I just gotta get the remaining 101 soldiers to elite...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26108 on: October 16, 2012, 05:29:03 pm »

The elves came with an ambush party behind them, and my champion has shown herself not only to be the best beast killer besides one of the speardwarves who named her spear following killing Omur, but she's also shown herself to be a MASSIVE kill stealer.

Also decided to build a nice statue garden with platinum statues out of ice on the surface near the death pit, which still has a half dead gorlak in it. Also the penance corps now has enough armor and weapons  to equip three children-conscripts.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #26109 on: October 16, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »

The local legendary grower went bonkers and made himself a legendary tanner as well! Artifact cat leather trousers.

He's joining the guards, to wear these pants along with the guard captain and her short skirt.

I'm also beginning science on a phenomenon I've noticed recently that could make hauling mountains of items quick and efficient. More on that later.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26110 on: October 16, 2012, 05:41:01 pm »

The resident badass of my kobold camp's child was almost kidnapped by a goblin snatcher. No, it wasn't a soldier that saved the kid. The kid mauled the goblin half to death before it got it's head cut off. The mother finished the snatcher off by breaking every bone in it's body.

I assume the snatcher already had a child because it didn't snatch this one.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #26111 on: October 16, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »

One of my clothiers went into a mood, screaming about leather and gems. Had to build the required workshops in order to meet his requirements. Just barely met them, and got a nice chitinplate backpack studded with sapphire.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26112 on: October 16, 2012, 06:06:58 pm »

I genned a world, wanting to embark on a new fort. I was not prepared for what I found.

A world where the Elven Menace is on the pinnacle of Victory. The Three great powers of the north, The Old Kingdom, A Human Civlization along the coast with significant amounts of multi-culturalism, The Hellish Sin, a Goblin civlization on the frozen frontier of the world, and The Crow of Kindnesses, a elven Civlization in the heartland of the continent, wedged between the wastes to the south, and the mountains to the west. For many years, the wars between the three kept The Three Balanced, while the southern nations, The Dwarven civ of The Radiant Work, and The Human civ of The Union of Churches, Poorer as they were slowly and peacefully grew to encompass the southern half of the continent, while the Elven nation to the far west gradually retreated farther north as the Union of Churches Grew, seperate from the continent itself.

Following the end of the Age of Legends, However, The Elven Kingdom managed to gain the upper hand in the wars, and Pushed both the goblins and the humans back. Using a system of Mass-conscription, the elven army swelled to the size of 5000, easily replacing any losses as they occured, and pushing the humans back into the sea, and the Goblins into the Glaciar. Soon, all that remained of Human territory was a collection of Cities in the Heart, Hevily guarded, yet suffering under the elven Onslaught. The Hellish Sin Had managed to regain some strength, but was still incapable of defeating the Elven army in a battle, and so they bided their time, waiting. the Old Kingdom too, bided its time, beset by attacks as it was, hoping to one day return to glory.

Soon, around the year 240, The elves came into contact with the northern-most Dwarven settlements. While there had technically been overlap in their territories since year 60, the frontiers on both parts had been largely uninhabited. However, following the exhaustion of mountains in other parts of Dwarven Terrotory, aggresive building had uncovere the nation.

The dwarves were worried. While The Elves had not yet started hostilities, they knew it could only be a matter of time before the Old Kingdom was defeated and the elves turned their attention southward. With this in mind, they sent a group of dwarves deep into elven territory, onto the mountainrage on the west side of their empire, and would there build a Mighty Fortress. Then, They would Declare war on the elves from this spot, and draw more and more attention to themselves and away from the front, and maybe, just maybe, The united forces could defeat the Crows.'

This Fortress was named: Skyseals, Settled by the Steel Of Neutrality (Not for Long!) Our Effort is to wage war, both enviromentally, and physically, till we have defeated the elven scum and purged them from these mountains. It will be hard, But We Will not Stop!

Strike the Earth!
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26113 on: October 16, 2012, 06:12:40 pm »

I took pity on the penance children. They shall have copper goblinite shirts. Thier barracks is now built and ready for recruits and the elves still hold weapons and munitions I desire. Bows and arrows to be specific. I figure I can use this as a chance to get rid of some of my excess dralthas before I go out of my way to piss them off.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26114 on: October 16, 2012, 06:13:11 pm »

Well, this island must be loaded with minotaurs...one a year for five years now.  Maybe there's a minotaur fortress nearby that keeps sending scouts to find where all the other minotaurs wound up (in cages).  Or the world's biggest labyrinth, IDK.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.
Pages: 1 ... 1739 1740 [1741] 1742 1743 ... 3842