Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6098893 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22890 on: May 16, 2012, 01:01:32 am »

Sqaud is now being drilled full time. Migrants came, expanding the magma pipe securing crew. Hunter killed a Giant Olm and a weasel, trio of kobolds visited. One beaten to death by a mechanic with a silk shoe. Drinks were made, and more will be purchased when the yearly caravan comes.

A mole was beaten to death by the wrastler, keas stole a random suit of clothes... Oh god. Now I know what happened to that mad farmer. Gonna have to check for his body in the river.

Hope they didn't have a spouse....

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22891 on: May 16, 2012, 05:09:58 am »

There seems to be a serious flaw in my dining room waterfall design. Namely that I can neither shut it off nor rescue anybody that falls into the drain and drowns. Not that I care. The morons shouldn't be trying to drink from the bottom of the drain ramps. Lost 3-4 so far due to this problem. I also didn't put grates over the stoneworkers' access points, so that's how the idiots have been getting in. Fixed that right up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22892 on: May 16, 2012, 09:10:41 am »

The Rustic RabbitHut

18) Extrememe Pain is better than Death
19) To the Quarry for You

I want to close off my place so I can sort my migrants.
However, one militia goes outside to clean his hand,
then a migrant goes out to fish ...

Eventually I get them all inside and seal up again.

My doctor works furiously on Shirai "SplitSkull", who was nearly killed by a kobold corpse punch.
The doctor makes use of the cow hair I spun earlier, and the Gypsum Plaster I got off the merchants.
But he hits a problem when he needs cloth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The weather has cleared
Oh, I didn't notice, I was too busy bathing in blood to notice.

After assigning all the migrants, it was easy to get a butchers, tanner's, leatherworkers,
and farmers workshop all setup in one place.

Speaking of which, here's the general West-Side layout of my main fort.
It includes:
: Militia Training room
: Militia Bedroom
: Garbage Chute
: Dining Hall
: Food Stockpile
: Booze Stockpile
: RockPile (via dump)
: Ramp to the rabbits
: Corner of my hospital
: Original Workshop Room

The notable thing you don't see is all the dead-corpse rooms.
Those are on the East side.

Eventually, I make notable progress.
I get cloth made for Shirai SplitSkull,
some Fisherdwarf brings Shirai stangant water in a glumprong bucket,
and I even get all that fat from earlier rendered to tallow.

Shirai gets up.
He lives ! and goes to combat training.
Free Bronze Helms for the militia !

Oh, and elven caravan arrives.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:07:10 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22893 on: May 16, 2012, 09:38:41 am »

The Queen arrived, and turned out to be even more of a bloodsucking parasite than your average noble. She even flaunted her "Queen vampire" status quite openly. She was also missing her left cheek, which was kind of gruesome.

I assigned her to a certain part of the fortress originally designed with forgotten beasts in mind, and ordered the attached lever to be pulled. She ended up in the caverns, a lot thinner than before, and with a couple of tons of sylvite on top of her. Thus, Razorwheels became the fort to make history and end the reign of the vampire queen. We don't put up with no bloodsuckin' nobles here!  8)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22894 on: May 16, 2012, 09:46:38 am »

The fortress Doorlong is losing dwarves, bit by bit, through insanity, and injury.  Every dwarf that goes berserk or melancholy either gets put down by my "military" ( I just draft random dwarves and send them unarmed against the rampaging dorf ) or dies of thirst.

I also have an ongoing siege.  But, since I have this slate palisade/wall on the surface, they can't get in.

Woe to any migrant waves that arrive. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22895 on: May 16, 2012, 10:52:54 am »

The Queen arrived, and turned out to be even more of a bloodsucking parasite than your average noble. She even flaunted her "Queen vampire" status quite openly. She was also missing her left cheek, which was kind of gruesome.

I assigned her to a certain part of the fortress originally designed with forgotten beasts in mind, and ordered the attached lever to be pulled. She ended up in the caverns, a lot thinner than before, and with a couple of tons of sylvite on top of her. Thus, Razorwheels became the fort to make history and end the reign of the vampire queen. We don't put up with no bloodsuckin' nobles here!  8)

Too bad it wasn't the king. Castlevaina anyone?
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22896 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:28 am »

Just flooded my entire food stocks in an attempt to build a fluid repeater from an aquifier.
Went from 1000 food to 50.
FUN!!!
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22897 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:45 am »

accidentally atomsmashed the liaison in a drawbridge when he ran madly for it after the lever had been pulled...despite the fact that he was standing there inert for a long time before.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22898 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:01 am »

Can anyone give the the run down on how I can get minecarts up hill? They can just get pushed up right?

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22899 on: May 16, 2012, 01:47:33 pm »

I'm trying to smelt pig iron on a magma furnace, despite three bins of refined coal (coke) sitting invitingly a level below the smelters, the game is under the impression that I lack any

Any ideas as to whats going on here?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22900 on: May 16, 2012, 01:48:39 pm »

Use the manager's orders to smelt it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22901 on: May 16, 2012, 01:54:34 pm »

is it in a burrow that doesn't include the fuel? Doesn't matter if it's active or anyone assigned to it, it messes up smelters
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22902 on: May 16, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »

is it in a burrow that doesn't include the fuel? Doesn't matter if it's active or anyone assigned to it, it messes up smelters

Ah, thats sorted it. Brilliant, cheers

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #22903 on: May 16, 2012, 02:40:09 pm »

Wimpiest forgotten beast i've ever seen

I was mining an exit into a cavern for a waterfall, as soon as it was breached it popped out. A miner thwacked it with a pick in defence, and it deflated

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22904 on: May 16, 2012, 05:37:51 pm »

I was intending to wait until the next release before diving into minecarts and such, but thought I'd give it a go just for the hilarious RTA potential learning experiences with the new system of hauling.

Chose a rather unusual (for me) embark site: half of it is a lake, the other half is notionally a dense forest but it's hard to see because of the steep slopes on that half of the map.

It may be some time until I see or need a minecart - I've also encountered the first more-than-two-z-level aquifer that I've seen in my games so far. Currently boring through the third level of soggy sandstone (boring, of course, being the operative word here), and adding more waterwheels to the aquifer-powered dwarven reactor as we go. Also experimenting with an airlock system built over the lake to prevent undesirables entering the fortress.

Had a couple of kobold thieves nick some abandoned bolt stacks in the first winter. The spring migrant wave, as usual, included a number of low-skilled Marksdwarves, who were all promptly drafted, which is probably just as well as they've prevented more thefts from Coati and Kobolds alike since.

Oh, and there was an interesting moment in the first year when a Honey Badger managed to essentially shut down my entire fortress operation by RAAAAGING at everything. Its spree was brought to an end when one of my off-duty miners hacked off its front paw with his handy mining implement.

I guess you could say...  8) ...it should have picked its fights better.
Pages: 1 ... 1525 1526 [1527] 1528 1529 ... 3842