Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099140 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22875 on: May 15, 2012, 08:54:09 pm »

it's quiet...if I just make a temporary shortcut trough all my defenses for 5 minutes this roof will be finished in 5 minutes instead of fifty...

*1 minute later*

A vile force of darkness arrives !  :o

Ohshitohshitohshit !

I had to choose between losing half the population or half the fortress. Chose for losing the fortress and managed to keep casualties down to five dwarves but we were fighting in the stairways. Even my 3 (and only) weapon traps saw action.
Felt superguilty as I closed the final bridge in the face of the last two stragglers. You had to run a little faster lads, sorry.  :'(

Later on I build and fired my first ballista's ever. Goblinite-tipped arrows even. I missed every shot but good fun nonetheless. Perhaps more luck on the next siege.
Kobold bowmen are a terror. Their accuracy is phenomenal.

I've been learning a lot about using ramps (five dead dwarves so far) on my alternative-caravan-escape-trough-caverns project. We're getting near the end. Then we'll have to clear out the locals. One of them has poison gas. That could be bad.  ::)

In a superdwarven effort we've cleaned up the topside and now we have countless corpses lying in neat rows alongside the golden road into the fortress.

I have one vampire training endlessly in a little prison-trap I made and 2 more vampires are in jail. One of them is melancholy and the other is depressed. I wonder if they will still kill dwarves when they are eventually released or just wander around babbling...
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22876 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:44 pm »

If this poor swordrunt somehow survives his poorly equipped encounter with a giant cave spider, he will be a hero. Literally. He became an elite wrestler despite becoming webbed, poisoned, and getting his throat and head ripped open. Also webs everywhere.

Worst gorlak hunting incident ever.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22877 on: May 15, 2012, 09:25:28 pm »

10 seconds in to my new v.08 fort and one of my miners already managed to drop a rock on his partner's head, killing him instantly. Now I'm down to one Very Weak Miner... Goddamnit.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22878 on: May 15, 2012, 09:30:02 pm »

Nil survived, the swordrunt not so much. Nil survived by sheer virtue of the EL saving her.

the GCS took a single punch to the head and dropped. Shame, Poor swordrunt would have been a promising soldier, but Nil shall take that role. Gotta make a coffin quick.

Oh, and she, between her savage injuries and seeing Bembul the swordrunt die, "Doesn't really care about anything anymore."

Meta The Golem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22879 on: May 15, 2012, 09:31:55 pm »

have you ever seen a dwarf walking around in a adamantine shirt that been studded with gems? apparently a few of my dwarves are going to wearing them after there current clothes rot away

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22880 on: May 15, 2012, 09:52:42 pm »

Another dwarf dead, this one by an altercation with a gorlak. Which prompted disproportionate retribution from my entire population.

Oh, and we have a food shortage.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22881 on: May 15, 2012, 10:27:59 pm »

On 1st Granite, 311, these two happy announcements showed up simultaneously...

Asmel Oltarnitig Ilon Niles, mayor's mandate has ended.
Asmel Oltarnitig Ilon Niles, Engraver has died of old age.

Yeah, I'll say the mandate ended.  hee hee.  You caused me nothing but grief, you noble bastard, and I'm glad you're dead!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22882 on: May 15, 2012, 10:30:01 pm »

Accidently dug into the third layer, but I also hit a pool linking to the magma sea. I am preparing to send a crew down to secure it as best they can. Hopefully we can avoid another mishap with a GCS.

EDIT: Slowly losing dwarves to cavern life. Only a one handed furnace operator/wrestler is left to defend the palce. A cav croc claimmed Nil, a speardorf, and a recruit.

Oh and of the civvies I had mob the damn thing, twoi are being left bleeding in the moss because no-one will help them. Or cage the mass of chicks for that matter.

Oh, and a farmer went insane. Next one will be a berzerker I know it.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22883 on: May 16, 2012, 12:06:40 am »

I think I'm having a miniature tantrum spiral that's only affecting the children. I've had 11 children die in the past year or three, pretty much all of which died because they went melancholy/insane/berserk.

Also I gave the soldier that killed this minotaur the custom title of "Red Bull".

edit: make that 12 children
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:10:39 am by penguinofhonor »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22884 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:09 am »

I think I'm having a miniature tantrum spiral that's only affecting the children. I've had 11 children die in the past year or three, pretty much all of which died because they went melancholy/insane/berserk.

Also I gave the soldier that killed this minotaur the custom title of "Red Bull".

edit: make that 12 children

Not enough shoes, pants, and cloaks to go araound, eh?

My tantrum spiral is pretty much over. I honestly doubt I'll be having shortages of loose clothing with 60% of the population that once lived here being dead and leaving heaps of junk behind.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22885 on: May 16, 2012, 12:20:48 am »

Wait, do negative thoughts from being naked actually matter now? Crap.

Also, does "X was discovered dead, dehydrated" mean there's a vampire?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22886 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:26 am »

No, that means he died of thirst. "drained of blood" implies vampirism.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22887 on: May 16, 2012, 12:30:34 am »

The death toll is now at 14 children. I'm producing pig tail fabric as fast as possible, but the new hauling system is buggy when it comes to weaving. It goes like this:

Weaver grabs thread from bin, makes it into cloth
Other dwarf grabs cloth bin and uses it to grab the newly made cloth
Weaver leaves because he can't get in the cloth bin for his next thread

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22888 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:50 am »

A tribe of Trogs showed up. A hastily conscripted force of fisherdwarves armed with bronze swords led by a one handed, foul tempered, emotionally ruined furnace operator slaughtered them all.

These dwarves have volunteered to become the defense force, since all the trained fighters are dead, the operator aside.

I imagined it went down something like this:

"Alright, I hate ta ask of you dorfs this, but I need yeh ta pick up them swords over there, an' follow me. A weaver was shoutin' bout some trogs. A whole tribe of the little shits."

the fisherdwarves comply, arriving to see a lone trog harrasing a recent migrant furnace operator. Suddenly, a frothing knotty bearded one handed wrestler comes flying in from nowhere and bludgeons it to paste with a bronze shield.

Horrified at the sight of flying brains, the fisherdwarves look queasy.

"You lot! Stomach the FUCK up and follow me! There's some killin' ta do..." He says angrily. Four dead dwarves in the span of a week and two claimed by madness have left him bitter to all, and eager to kill.

Nervously, the fisherdwarves comply. They rush to the garbage dump where the sighting was, and see several troglodytes milling about. "For Axestirred! Charge!" the lead dwarf yells, the commander running to get his gauntlets and ordering the dearves to battle. Thier swords drawn, they meet the trogs head on, with limbs and vomit flying everywhere. One attempts an escape, after losing a leg and a quart of blood, only to have an agitated fishdwarf run its skull through with a bronze longsword.

The commander runs down another stragler, giving it the same treatment he's given every invader: A touch of the lethal head trauma.

Coated in the blood of a whole troglodyte tribe, the fisherdwarves shout in victory, though the commnder simply walks by, silent. "What's wrong sir? We got them all!" A dwarf says. "There'll be more boy. There's always more." he replies, a grim look on his face. "All of you keep them swords. You'll need'em in the near future for sure."

And thus was how the milita proper was established. And the new hauling I think is unintended in that regard. I had brewing trouble earlier, cause the stuck, and now dead, miner was brining the pots to the gathered plants, disrupting brewing for herself. Now there's a messy little camp int he caverns, witha militia made of an angry wrestlerdorf and 5 fisherdorfs turned swordsdorfs.

Messiest fort EVAR. !!FUNNEST!! fort EVAR.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22889 on: May 16, 2012, 12:52:53 am »

I can buy a breeding pair of giant lice from the elves.
great, except for 3 things
1: they don't lay eggs
2: they don't have a child tag, so there is no birth and even if there were eggs they don't hatch
3: they live for the grand time span of 1 year, making breeding a pair that is probably going to die in a few months, since you got them as adults, very hard. If they could breed in the first place.

The death toll is now at 14 children. I'm producing pig tail fabric as fast as possible, but the new hauling system is buggy when it comes to weaving. It goes like this:

Weaver grabs thread from bin, makes it into cloth
Other dwarf grabs cloth bin and uses it to grab the newly made cloth
Weaver leaves because he can't get in the cloth bin for his next thread

seperate thread/cloth stockpiles?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 3842