Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093459 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17745 on: December 18, 2011, 01:26:49 am »

I checked the relationships of my manager and found she was in love with a certain swordsdwarf. I couldn't find him in the work lists so I could disband him (and not have my manager re-organise the skulls of the workforce) nor in the military squads. I did eventually find him in a diorite coffin in the corridor, however.
Sucks to be him. At least he died protecting his girlfriend. Although now that I remember he might have been the guy who lone-wolfed it and was slaughtered.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17746 on: December 18, 2011, 01:35:01 am »

I just had my first goblin encounter! It was a baby-snatcher. I panicked and ordered all of my marksdwarves and melee force to chase this goblin down. My militia captain got to the goblin first and punched the goblin to death. She totally ignored that the goblin was wielding copper weaponry and went all-out to kill this sucker. I am thoroughly impressed.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17747 on: December 18, 2011, 03:18:02 am »

Everyone is dead!

Just kidding.

Only one of the stoneworkers died recently. The rest are in the hospital.

Curse you gravity!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17748 on: December 18, 2011, 03:37:25 am »

Fortressfang is looking reasonably good, despite there being only 17 levels of dirt between the surface and the magma sea, with all three caverns sandwiched between...  It's in the Grand Canyon world gen that was posted a few months ago, and is on the banks of the mighty Babyseizes.  I was going for my first non-magma forge, but a complete lack of flux and coal hampered that...

So I managed, with a bit of reveal, and a lot of building walls and floors, to zigzag down through the caverns, and hit magma and shiny stuff at the same time.

So the little hamlet of 19 20 (just had a birth) will have some very sharp
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
axes very soon...  :D

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17749 on: December 18, 2011, 03:57:26 am »

Just abandoned - I've run out of ideas for this fortress, I was going to go out with a bang digging too deep, but the only pillar to get down I can find seems to be floating in magma so my miners die trying to dig it out. It was a good fortress to learn more baout this latest release of the game (pots, beekeeping, lack of ore, etc. I got to experiance here) but this fortress has reached the extend of it's potential I think. A 30-dwarf military in full spoilerite armour (with extra wafers and armour and spears and axes of the stuff to spare)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17750 on: December 18, 2011, 04:17:24 am »

wow, that was close. Before I realize it, the whole fort were already hunting for small creatures, none of which exist!! But to my luck, some immigrants came and was immediately assigned to foraging. They eventually saved the fort. I also found out that a hungry dwarf can snatch food faster then buzzards. Literally.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17751 on: December 18, 2011, 05:02:01 am »

Got a squad of 10 macedwarves up and running. Unfortunately the site I embarked on is bare of any iron or tin so I'm limited to silver weapons and copper armor for the time being. I got some cotton candy processing but it will be some time before I have enough to make full use of it. But I kind of want to see how efficient my defenses are with just the basic resources I have. I have an array of 2x3x10 wooden spike weapon traps guarding the entrance and it's kept the riff raff out but I've only gotten a couple of goblin thieves so far. My mace dwarves are training but they're only now getting up to novice. Things are going to get interesting once I start getting ambushes.

I went ahead and modded out whips and scourges before I started this fort so at least my military will have a fighting chance.

The good news is I got a good amount of gold on this site and even a little bit of platinum so I got plenty to trade with. Combined with copper and silver I can make rose gold and black bronze which are two of my favorite materials to make furniture out of. I think I'll use some of it to construct a surface tomb for my expedition leader once he gets up to baron status.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17752 on: December 18, 2011, 05:36:41 am »

Limited? Maces are blunt, silver's very heavy. That's great!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17753 on: December 18, 2011, 07:13:01 am »

My armorer was possessed during a wyvern attack and created a bismuth bronze high boot.

And a fisher dwarf that was hauling a body (His brother body) entered in a tamtrum and threw the body on a War black bear.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17754 on: December 19, 2011, 12:05:12 am »

Well I ended up with enough blue stuff to fully armor my macedwarves in it. The goblin attacks have been fairly tame considering how long I've had this fortress. They're more of a threat to the elven caravans than to my dwarves. It is annoying that it's getting to where the elves hit an ambush immediately upon showing up so they're not even making it to my depot anymore.

I've had quite a few FBs showing up and despite my better judgement I've been sending my macedwarves after them. The battles take an unusually long time but my macedwarves keep winning out in the end. So far I've only lost one macedwarf. I was a bit concerned when after killing one of the FBs three of my macedwarves ended up in the hospital with clouds of miasma all around them. Whatever that FB was spewing it was causing their flesh to rot. I've seen this before and this usually means they die shortly after with a fun tantrum spiral to follow. Fortunately my hospital was already fully stocked with soap and other supplies and despite my diagnostician dragging his feat all three of them were treated and released before the rot could fully take hold. Every last one of their body parts is yellow but they're otherwise fine.

So note to self: "Always have soap and a fully stocked hospital before taking on FBs."

Oh, I also finished my black bronze mausoleum. My duke loves it.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 12:06:43 am by Lemunde »

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17755 on: December 19, 2011, 10:15:15 am »

Finally got a nice embark, haunted forest on the side of a limestone mountain with exposes hematite! had to hurry underground since shortly after we arrived so did a half-dozen zombie giant badgers, they seem to have left for now, leaving only a pair of zombie jack rabbits to haunt us, so while the zombie count is low I'm setting up an outdoor pasture for the yaks. Meanwhile the farmer is gathering the first harvest of plump helmets, and planting the first batch of pig tails. The axedwarf/woodcutters chopped down a few trees for beds, once the wall is built we'll start making individual beds for the dwarves, right now the 7 of them are sharing 4 beds in a dormitory surrounded by stockpiles.

I'm worried about migrants making it to the doors of the fortress, they'll have to race the zombies if they come in on the wrong end of the map. But once the pasture is set up, I should be able to survive fairly well and start focusing on digging out room for industry and private bedrooms.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17756 on: December 19, 2011, 12:26:40 pm »

Some of the goblinite in my stockpile grew legs and ran away.

Come back goblinite !!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17757 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:21 pm »

hematite, flux, gold, tetrahedrite and cassiterite, great mineral count on this embark
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17758 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:44 pm »

werewolves came by to hit and kill meee.
But i showed them the merchant guards...
but they killed the merchant guards.
of two different merchants.
then after my POWERFUL military made of pure awesome with copper swords and copper equipment moved to maul them down (they actually did) i realized there were still some werewolves alive in the middle of it.
specifically, a werewolf wrestler.
after killing two dorfs, my militia captain got at him justs before he managed to finally kill the dungeon master (genesis mod if the were didn't give that away).
so, after using his COPPER MACE! for like, three hundred hits, *hits hits hits "BAD DOGGIE! BAD!"* he finally stops with it and the final hit of doom is...
*the militia captain bites the werewolf wrestler in the upper right leg, tearing apart the fat!*
then blood loss did the rest.
oh and also...

is it normal that one of my dorf still believes his wife to be alive?
no i mean it.
the dwarf is dead.
he did have also the "lost wife to tragedy" but it appears alive in the relationship, not only that, but also the beds are occupied by both.
she is not a ghost, and does not appear on runesmith nor dwarf therapist.
Furthermore when clicking on her this line appears after the normal description:
"Her upper torso appears to be missing"
*you don't say!?*
and she's dead, in the coffin...
i hope they don't bury the deads alive...
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17759 on: December 19, 2011, 03:12:44 pm »

Forgotten beast came in while my dwarves were in the cavern gathering wood, activate the military and they try to stop him, all of them die, along with the dogs, activate the back-up military (a few wrestling-trained civilians) they killed him, but my population dropped from 21 to 15, and I have 7 resting, 3 of my 4 miners, my only doctor, my legendary clothier, my planter, and my carpenter... I have one bucket, and they're all thirsty, right now...

oh and my healthy miner threw a tantrum and killed a stray puppy.

If migrants come soon I may be able to salvage this, maybe, but it's looking like this will soon be a tantrum spiral. if one of my above-ground doors gets broken, then the zombie badger men can get in (they're indside the doorway just outside the doors though) and I have no trained dwarves to fight them that aren't dead or injured.

Edit: Oh, wonderful, apparently something about this beast causes necrosis.. not sure what it was, since it didn't have an excretion or deadly blood etc. but now the eyes of my medical dwarf, and various other bits of others are rotting causing miasmas in the overcrowded hospital... oh and my last healthy miner just tried to kill himself because his wife and pet alpaca died.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 03:21:40 pm by Jenniretta »
Pages: 1 ... 1182 1183 [1184] 1185 1186 ... 3842