Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093343 times)

bennerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17730 on: December 17, 2011, 11:53:27 am »

So I had my dwarves build silver statues for my meeting hall, and half of them depict elves being slaughtered by various mythical beasts.  :'( I'm so proud

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17731 on: December 17, 2011, 12:35:01 pm »

Ive somehow managed to completely miss cavern 2, can't find it anywhere...
You think you got it bad? I missed ALL THREE CAVERNS and made it straight to the magma sea. Instead of dealing with exploratory mining I just used Reveal and dug into them.

Anyway, 15 of my 20 or so legendary axedwarves died in a massive demon siege... This is a sad day. There's also some weird bug causing me to be in a perpetual siege despite every prisoner having been executed. No more migrants or traders for me...

Kimril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17732 on: December 17, 2011, 01:04:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17733 on: December 17, 2011, 01:07:03 pm »

You could always mine a sealable tunnel to the cavern layers. Merchants can exit the map from there as well. It's a lot easier to control and secure the merchants(and all the 10k pieces of stone trinkets you trade every season) that way instead of letting them walk back out into the wide open forest full of hidespots for ambushers and so on.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17734 on: December 17, 2011, 01:52:03 pm »

So another two forgotten beasts this year (numbers 6 and seven), one is a giant crab with dangerous blood, who has been floating in a bit of underground water since he arrived. He's been there for months, hasn't moved an inch. I'm not sure why he's not aggressive, but even with dwarves running right past his nose (do crabs have noses?) he didn't move. He's in front of a ramp so he can leave whenever, he just doesn't care to.
The other was a huge, scaly, caddisfly, with two long straight horns, a bloated body, and noxious secretions, this one made a beeline for the fort, but was intercepted by my one-armed axe-dwarf, who promptly cut him in half before he managed to excrete anything on anyone. This is my one-armed hero's third forgotten beast kill to date, plus he got credit for the cyclops that took off his arm too somehow, so he's well on his way to being my most impressive military dwarf.

Otherwise, I've got a couple construction projects to make the entrance look nicer, and a few dwarves working on becoming useful siege operators, so I can deal with forgotten beasts from a safe distance.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17735 on: December 17, 2011, 04:37:30 pm »

As ANOTHER protip, I just found out that the spot the FB used to infiltrate actually did have a fortification.

It swam through it. I obviously need to improve the system further.
Right after everyone stops dying, that is. And murdering each other.
Or going crazy. It would help if I could find some god damn dwarf in the fort able to act as a Guard Captain without spazzing ou- STUKOS!

Yeah, they can come through when it's submerged. I've been using bridges as floodgates to seal off my pipes when I've refilled my cisterns. I know that building destroyers can't destroy bridges from the raised side, and I'm assuming it works the same underwater.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17736 on: December 17, 2011, 04:47:25 pm »

*Sigh*

About a year into the second reclaim and...
My fort has again been decimated by skeletal Yaks. These beasts are brutal!

Contributing factor is that my military was part-time lumberjack/axedwarf ,
I've forgotten how to manage it so that they don't throw their axes away when they are drafted, so they were trampled to death -in their steel armours- while trying to strangle a horde of huge horned corpses.

there are now two adults left to make the catacombs even bigger.
given that there is little to no reward for trukilling undead I'm beginning to think about just letting this fort die.
surface fortresses are hard in sinister surroundings. :(

edit: The kids were kidnapped while I was watching some TV waiting for the world to end, then a wave of twenty-one dwarves entered the site.
task one: finish that damned wall! Two: expand the catacombs.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 06:47:42 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #17737 on: December 17, 2011, 04:55:04 pm »

Ive somehow managed to completely miss cavern 2, can't find it anywhere...

In my current fort I tried searching for my first (and only) cavern so I could get water for an injured soldier. I couldn't use ponds and such because they were all frozen. I reached the magma sea before finding them and my tunnels branched off every few levels in hope of finding it. When I had already given up (soldier died to dehydration) I was trying to drain my volcano and I punched through the caverns as I was digging a drainage tunnel. Ironically the miner (and her children) fell a few levels and broke their legs. They were then set upon by three forgotten beasts and other wildlife that had accumulated in there over a few game years of playing. So much FUN!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17738 on: December 17, 2011, 05:57:52 pm »

In Whisperbolt, I can't really tell where Cave 1 ends and Cave 2 begins. I'm pretty sure my magma pool is in Cave 3 because I can see the Magma Sea from it (magma in DF is transparent, apparently), though I'll have to send some dorfs out scouting to be sure (I did some peeking with Reveal and there should be some visible adamantine in Cave 3 IIRC).

Henrik Undrgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17739 on: December 17, 2011, 07:46:28 pm »

I had a rhino running amok in my fortress until it entered my turkey coop.It picked a fight with a gobbler and lost :o and fled outside where it got killed by traps :D.The gobbler had latched on to the rhinos foot with his beak, bruising the fat.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17740 on: December 17, 2011, 07:51:28 pm »

This happened yesterday in my new elf fort.
Well isnt this guy unlucky? He forgot to bring the only quiver of the fort. As a punishment, he had to go hunting unicorns with his bare hands. He returned with one hand less and had to bed rest for almost half a year. In late winter, the first kobold showed up and he was the unlucky person it sneaked upon. Or was it?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17741 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:13 pm »

Made my first danger room to train super yaks...
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17742 on: December 17, 2011, 10:46:23 pm »

Goblin siege had three casualties-- the wife and children of my legendary bone carver.

Yeah, he's not happy about that. The captain of the guard is dead as a result. Great, now who's going to stick him in the slammer?

Mayor's still mandating billon items because she hasn't figured out from the first three tries that we don't have the supplies to make billon.

ETA: Guess who just oneshotted the next captain of the guard?!

ETA: And he went berserk while in prison. If I forbid all the doors to his cell, he can't break loose, right?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 11:05:04 pm by proxn_punkd »

BackgroundGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17743 on: December 18, 2011, 12:11:24 am »

Goblin siege had three casualties-- the wife and children of my legendary bone carver.

Yeah, he's not happy about that. The captain of the guard is dead as a result. Great, now who's going to stick him in the slammer?

Mayor's still mandating billon items because she hasn't figured out from the first three tries that we don't have the supplies to make billon.

ETA: Guess who just oneshotted the next captain of the guard?!

ETA: And he went berserk while in prison. If I forbid all the doors to his cell, he can't break loose, right?
I know tantrumming dwarves can destroy buildings, I'm not sure about berserking dwarves.  Locking it should slow him down enough to wall him in though.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17744 on: December 18, 2011, 12:55:15 am »

Apparently he couldn't destroy the chain he was on or set himself free without help (which locking the doors prevented), and for unknown reasons he didn't even touch the awesome food and booze I'd stocked his cell with when I thought there was still hope for him.
Pages: 1 ... 1181 1182 [1183] 1184 1185 ... 3842