Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093252 times)

Luckymoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17715 on: December 16, 2011, 04:16:36 pm »

After plenty of digging and much curiosity, I have discovered my fort only has zinc. Mountains of zinc. I guess I can keep making barrels and furniture out of it, maybe even pave my fortress in it?

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #17716 on: December 16, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »

so i lost lancersquare...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=97665.0

but then i reclaimed it with sword-dwarves.
seven of them.
which soon became six.
then five.
and since they were all friends.
then lovers.
i have this sad, saddening thing that they became four.
but out of 120z levels crawling with illithid, centaurs and forgotten beasts (how they managed to get on the higher levels is a mistery) i manage to make safe the first three, and hatch-seal the one's more down.
now i just have to have stuff hauled by those who remain.
even if one just died, again, because of a bull.
what's a bull doing in the halls!?
oh, and another one has no fat left. it's a skeleton.
a skeleton which moves however.
how fascinating.
and those two seems to be two ghosts.
it's my first actual reclaim.
everything is so friggin FASCINATING.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17717 on: December 16, 2011, 05:31:29 pm »

Oceanhole: my proper attempt at the undersea volcano site I found earlier. It took about two in-game months for the volcano to seal itself, and it lagged like crazy the whole time.

The water obsidianized much of the lava, but most of it collapsed immediately, draining the volcano. A small obsidian ring formed around the edge of the top, causing the water to pour down the centre of the shaft. It was rare for obsidian to form against the walls, so the lava level dropped quite considerably.

Eventually, a small sheet of obsidian managed to form across half of the hole a number of z-levels down. The lava had dropped too far for the sheet to go all the way, but it sped up the rate at which the rest of it obsidianized. All the water concentrated on one side and created a new half-cap further down.

There are a few z-levels in between both half-caps which are divided into water and lava sections by a wall. I haven't checked for a while but I estimate the lowest water to be about halfway down the shaft. It didn't take too long for the ocean to reach it's original level.

Things are still running a bit slowly despite the capping. I'm wondering if the lava is still trying to re-fill the shaft even though it's blocked.

Anyway, another thing I've just noticed is that the lower half of the ocean freezes in the middle of winter, and the volcano becomes solid ice for a number of z-levels. That's interesting. It means I could possibly dig it out and floor over the hole before it melts. There's still a little water below the lowest ice layer, but that could be drained later. I'd have an air bubble between the sea and the lava cap.

Other than that it's a pretty unremarkable fort. I've been a bit slow getting things set up and I almost let them die of thirst.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17718 on: December 16, 2011, 05:52:19 pm »

This is what happens when you combine beastmen and copper + iron + club weapon traps.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17719 on: December 16, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

With Tombmet still going strong, a recent secretive mood brought to my attention a dwarf who's been catching my eye other times as well. Meet Stukos Ishashstakud, a Fish Dissector by his trade when he arrived. This is the story of the Saddest dwarf in Tombmet.

I think it was around the time that expansion was done to the second cavern level, that a forgotten beast arrived. There's been a few so I can't remember exactly what it was, but anyway. Fights with these beasties have for the most part been the responsibility of the crossbow squad(currently going with my second one, first was lost completely. Thanks rotting dust!), but for some reason this thing was fought in melee.

Maybe it slipped in through the well, maybe the walls weren't ready somewhere or maybe it could fly.

Regardless, Stukos and his squad was there to fight the beast. And there was but one injury. Stukos had his lower spine smashed badly, and from that day on, he couldn't walk on his own anymore.

Stubborn as he is, he never got a crutch, instead he just crawls everywhere. And being part of the earlier waves of dwarves, he still has a lot of the work-tasks enabled. Whenever I was building something, and was fussing how that one piece of floor or wall wasn't being built, finally Stukos crawls to view. Same for furniture. Indeed, it seems life was pretty shitty for Stukos. The only real job I had available was fish cleaning, since he was too injured to serve in the militia(with quite a few dwarves who have lost an arm or leg still serving), I figured that at least he would have time to make friends.

But no.

In all the time that he's spent in party halls, during all those years after he was paralyzed, he only has one friend. And for those thinking that there is SOME joy in the life of this poor bastard, I got other news for you.

Turns out that the dwarf Stukos calls a friend, does not even know him. Lor is the most skilled tanner in the fort, lover of Sibrek, a legendary Carpenter, and if you ask what they think about their good friend Stukos, she'll ask "Stukos who?"

It's like I'm peeking into the life of a miserable stalker. Oh well. We'll see what sort of an artifact he'll crank out. It's going to be a wooden craft, but at least I could assign him woodcrafting as a job too.

EDIT: He finally finished the artifact. Pooltooth the Mysterious Powers, a tower-cap crown.
It's absolutely the most boring of wooden artifacts I've had so far.

Dammit Stukos!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 06:30:57 pm by Ieb »

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17721 on: December 16, 2011, 06:42:49 pm »

8)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17722 on: December 16, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »

He named his steel axe. It also has two minor kills, giant jaguars. That name is great, "The Stockade of Tears"

Another named axe,

HELL YES THAT NAME.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 11:22:25 pm by Jacob/Lee »

booogers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17723 on: December 17, 2011, 03:31:09 am »

I guess I can start posting in this thread :3

I finally figured out why my marksdwarf squad wasn't training: one of my marksdwarfs didn't have a quiver.  >:(
I have the beginnings of a military, hopefully if I get attacked, I will survive!

I have an animal farm that's growing and growing! They are living off of fungus that spread all over the place. It sure is nice having an indoor pasture area.  8)

I finished my water system that is now providing water for my fort! (Thanks to all those that helped me in my first dwarf fortress thread!) No flooding, wells are working perfectly. I finally have a functioning hospital, woot!

I am planning on going deeper into the underground cavern I discovered earlier today; so far I see that it goes down about 10-15z levels. Perhaps it's even deeper, I can't wait to see what kind of !!FUN!! will occur! (I am picking up the lingo, haha)

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17724 on: December 17, 2011, 03:41:27 am »

You know how wells tend to be connected to a watersource one way or another?
Well as a protip, you should just make a fortification to lead the water to your well.

Otherwise a great skinless crocodile with insta-bleed-to-death deadly dust will swim up from there, catch you with your pants down and kill 70 dwarves in 2 minutes.

90% of the fort is now at varying levels of unhappiness, and the justice list has so many criminals that it's hilarious.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17725 on: December 17, 2011, 05:45:29 am »

My well is connected to a gigantic reservoir made from water diverted from the nearby brook. No FBs will go in there!

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #17726 on: December 17, 2011, 05:55:14 am »

As ANOTHER protip, I just found out that the spot the FB used to infiltrate actually did have a fortification.

It swam through it. I obviously need to improve the system further.
Right after everyone stops dying, that is. And murdering each other.
Or going crazy. It would help if I could find some god damn dwarf in the fort able to act as a Guard Captain without spazzing ou- STUKOS!

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #17727 on: December 17, 2011, 08:04:21 am »

Ive somehow managed to completely miss cavern 2, can't find it anywhere...

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #17728 on: December 17, 2011, 09:31:34 am »

7 dwarves have settled on bridgecombine, the mountainhomes led them to their quest of colonizing the Flat Lands, these dwarves, new to water, decided to start the construction of a swimming training facility on the barracks.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

PijanySmok

• Bay Watcher
  • For mother Celestia, THIS IS PONYVILLE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17729 on: December 17, 2011, 10:19:57 am »

My brewer was taken by mood and claimed freshly built metalsmith forge... I ordered to kill him.

But he started construction before dwarfs attacked him, so I was glad he didn't want something I didn't have xD

And then, he made a sarcophagus -_-
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:39:38 am by PijanySmok »
Why my pic doesn't work?

Check me or pm me there if you want something:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmokNiszczyciel

To all ponies: let's take control over the world!
Pages: 1 ... 1180 1181 [1182] 1183 1184 ... 3842