Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127871 times)

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15075 on: August 04, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »

have u read the elf's topic about us being monsters?
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15076 on: August 04, 2011, 07:21:41 pm »

Today I learned..

Those 'upward slopes' that are naturally part of the embarkation landscape?  Yeah, if you build walls next to those, goblins will climb on top and snipe you to death.

One tile separation from slopes is key.

Also, more than 150 animals of any kind, even nice barnyard ones, can reduce FPS in a big way.

Additionally, I found out that I will have to mix farming and ranching to sustain a 220+ population.

Thanks to extremely well crafted goods, I was able to buy an entire elvish caravan worth of material for the cost of three golden pieces of jewelry.  Huzzah for capitalism and stupid elves.

And finally, Trolls apparently can tunnel underground, teleport, or in some other 'magical' way, gain entrance into an area without breaking a door or wall, outside on the surface.  (they appeared in the middle of my walled farm, which has exactly one door on the interior side)  This was a hard lesson learned in my last siege.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15077 on: August 04, 2011, 07:33:50 pm »

Auurhhghh.. I decided to restart somewhere else cause I was sick of the amount of aquifers.. So I have one to deal with, no big deal, and I get through and bam.. My wagon was apparantely parked on a frozen pond, so now at least half my supplies as well as the corpses of two of my pre-trained military are at the bottom of a pond.. At least I'm through the aquifer, time to do damage control, get my walls built, and move things along.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15078 on: August 04, 2011, 07:37:51 pm »

u know, untill ur fort is set up, runesmith is a big help :)
and u can remove slopes and create private terraces that way, either for farming, building, shooting from it, be sur there's no other way up than the 1 ur dwarves can use, otherwise it's a passage, not a terrace ;)
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

valayane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15079 on: August 04, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »

remember, pumpstacks r ur friends, they may lead to fun, or Fun

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15080 on: August 04, 2011, 07:42:57 pm »

Ahemm.. More composed..

Freecraft, 4th Felsite, 252-

Construction=
As stated we've moved through the aquifer and into the stone, we are caring out some stone to use for walls and to build some basic rooms.  We've found some lignite, good find since we will not be using magma for production.  We are also digging out our soil level rooms.  As stated we will use our pumps to drain the lake once we are safe to regain our supplies and bury our dead.

Production=
None

Combat=
None

valayane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15081 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:38 pm »

btw, with my meat industry, i can buy dozens of caravan supplies, with gems, metal bars, and other expensive items :P or is it expansive, i can never remember :/

i have to import most of my metal due to the abscense of ore though, all is obsidian and sand soil over here :)

check the butchering items on a roc on magmawiki, u'll see why i love rocs :D
lol, roc-rock, just noticed the similarity xD

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15082 on: August 04, 2011, 07:47:28 pm »

The military screen is great, I find it easy to use and incredibly useful. I can't fathom why people don't like it. 'Course I came in on .18.

The point is, it's not particularly complex; if I can learn it and learn to like it, anyone can.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15083 on: August 04, 2011, 07:50:03 pm »

I agree, I've been around since 40d and I personally love the new military (or at least do now that they've gotten pretty much all the bugs out of it).  I'll admit its a bit of a pain to learn but then this is Dwarf Fortress, its a pain to learn how to dig a whole in the ground :)

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15084 on: August 04, 2011, 07:50:34 pm »

I have finally returned to Dwarf Fortress after over a year of not playing, and my fort is already off to a bad start. Not even five minutes after beginning, I lost one of my two miners, when he dug into the very soft ground, and drowned. I had the intention of digging down to the lowest possible level, with the idea of creating a tomb with coffins right away. I did this in a previous fortress along time ago, and my dwarves seemed very happy with it. Not chancing it this time.

valayane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15085 on: August 04, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »

Working on a project: Domes: Dwarf Operated Mechanics & Engineering System, basicaly the dwarf in a bunker with tons of levers controlling the fort-idea :)
i'm working on a way to secure the dwarf from buildingdestroyers, yet still being able to refill his/her food- & boozestocks, can't seem to find a way :/

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15086 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:05 pm »

Working on a project: Domes: Dwarf Operated Mechanics & Engineering System, basicaly the dwarf in a bunker with tons of levers controlling the fort-idea :)
i'm working on a way to secure the dwarf from buildingdestroyers, yet still being able to refill his/her food- & boozestocks, can't seem to find a way :/
wall them in, designate a pit above them for dwarves to drop down food and drink

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15087 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:48 pm »

The problem with the military screen isn't that it's impossiblle to use, even i'm mostly there on that, it's that it's increadbly hard to learn. It's not intuative, you end up, (in many cases), having to jump through hoops to get a basic squad setup. There's no need for it to be that complex that it's hard to learn. he real issue is that many of the screens squash several functions together on you.

EDIT: Yes learning how do do most things takes a bit of doing, but it is ultimatly intuative. The military screen isn't. With most things, once you get the basics of zone designating down and know which screen to look under it follows a fairly standard formulae. The military screen needs a seperate handbook for every page, and then some.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 07:56:48 pm by Darth_Karl »

valayane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15088 on: August 04, 2011, 07:55:53 pm »

the bottom's filled with magma now, and HFS is down there too, besides, that's alot of stairs they need to carry a coffin/corpse down, a cemetary in a big room in ur fort will suffice just as fine, and did u start with an aquifier? best to avoid them unless u intend to have fun with them ;)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15089 on: August 04, 2011, 07:56:36 pm »

I guess I agree with you but also feel that almost every other system in DF is the same.  Dwarf Fortress is an amazing game but in I don't think words like 'user friendly' and 'intuitive' and 'clear' would be phrases I'd use to describe its interface.  I think part of the reason so many people particularly hate the military is due to it being fairly new.

But to each their own, that said I doubt it'll change radically anytime soon.  I know I have no issue with it, I'd love for a total interface overhaul but I don't find the military stuff to be any worse then the rest.
Pages: 1 ... 1004 1005 [1006] 1007 1008 ... 3842