Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127751 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15045 on: August 04, 2011, 06:51:17 am »

Had to shut down the primary reactor of Knifemurders.  So it can be made BETTER.  Sadly, no magma pumping can occur till it's back online.  Not unless i get the (by comparison) minor ones running together on it.

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15046 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:18 am »

First fell mood I ever witnessed. Dwarf bone bracelet studded with dwarf bone, only worth 2400 currency-units. I... I was expecting something more impressive, honestly.
:|
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: August 04, 2011, 07:09:54 am »

Sweet Armok!  A Ghost just possessed my Axe Lord during a combat drill.  RIP Axedwarf Asen Gusilrur.  While we may miss you, Axelord Asbo Earthenroughness, the Primitive Fight of Parity certainly didn't miss your arm and leg with his axe.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: August 04, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

Weaponsmith made an Artifact warhammer!!!... Out of copper.

At least it looks nice. But you will say 'hey, at least you have legendary weaponsmith!'

Nope, t'was a possession. Fourth mood in row, fourth metal-dwarf in row... Fourth possession in the row.

Armok must love this fortress very much... *sigh* ::)
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: August 04, 2011, 10:37:08 am »

Legendary engraver. Has done the entire dinning hall by himself, theirs masterpeices EVERYWERE.

Its like dwarfs come in neutral or sad and leave happy. like someones brain washed them...
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: August 04, 2011, 10:59:35 am »

-snip-

Dude, copper is almost as good as silver in terms of density.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: August 04, 2011, 11:01:23 am »

-snip-

Dude, copper is almost as good as silver in terms of density.

40d version :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: August 04, 2011, 11:47:06 am »

Workclimax (yay name randomizer!) is now at 30+ dwarves, including the fortress's first baby.  The armed forces consist of 3 hammerdwarves, 3 macedwarves, 2 axedwarves, 1 speardwarf, and 3 marksdwarves.  I usually don't assign maces, but this time around I decided to let prior skills and weapon preferences determine what my soldiers would use.  Miracle of miracles, the marksdwarves all began training on the archery targets without all the usual headaches to get them to work. 

Sadly, metal is short supply, though I'm swimming in flux.  Most of my soldiers are equipped with leather armor and wooden shields :(.  Due to a strange mood that required metal bars, my miners went on a frantic mining expedition that lasted for months, finally striking a galena vein.  Iron would've been great, but having silver is the next best thing, given the number of Workclimax's soldiers using blunt weapons. 

Horsehale, my shield-crutch hammerdwarf who nearly died the first day of the embark, was rewarded with a pet war jaguar brought by the elves.  The jaguar quickly proved its worth by tearing into the stupid buzzards that swooped in soon after.

My first big project (nothing close to a megaproject, but a massive undertaking for me) was a walled path all the way to the stream on the other side of the map.  It took quite a long time to finish, with my soldiers having to chase off wildlife that kept interrupting the workers.  It was good for military training, though one war dog got kicked in the head by a mountain goat :(.  That goat got a hammer to the head in response.  I have more than enough food from my farm, but I like to fish!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: August 04, 2011, 01:00:50 pm »

I genned a world with extremely high levels of monsters, am using Fortress Defense II and Dig Deeper (so there are over a dozen enemy civs).  I have also removed all siege pre-reqs so I can be attacked by anything from an ambush to a titan at any time.  Outside of the mentioned mods I'm using no other programs, just the regular DF interface.  I am going to use the following self-imposed 'rules':

1) No 'walling myself in'; I must use doors for every exit except for one three+ wide area (for caravans) which I can use floodgates, but no drawbridges for defense.  In this way I can remain safe from small creatures should I choose to and delay large (building destroyers) should I choose to, but cannot completely block the enemy forever.  If I breach the caverns the same rules apply.

2) I can use weapon traps and 'serrated disc' traps, but I cannot use cage (save for capturing wild animals for study) or stone fall traps.

3) I can use magma for traps, obsidian factories, and garbage disposal.. But I may not build any magma based metal industry, I must use wood.

4) I may trade with caravans but I may not steal from them at all.

5) No Danger rooms (or similar exploits)

6) No save scumming

Bellhills - Founded in 250: Population 13: Created Wealth Unknown

=Construction=
Founded in an amazingly nice area, perhaps perfect for the monumental survival task at hand.  We have access to a reasonable amount of wood (not as much as we'd like..), sand, an aquifer, and allegedly metals under the earth.  We have drilled through the aquifer, set up a farm industry, are preparing to move our supplies indoors for safety, prepared a main hall and are digging out a barracks.  We have found marble (flux!) which we are currently using for stonework. 

=Production=
We have already taken in a harvest of some food/brew crops and some production crops like dimple cups and pig tails which we will convert to thread for hospital use.  We have started building some basic supplies (tables, chairs, etc) and some doors in case we need to block the entryway from potential harm.

=Combat=
Uneventful, just some buzzard raids.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 01:22:52 pm by Mickey Blue »

Kaleb702 Games

• Bay Watcher
  • nearlyNonexistent
    • View Profile
    • My YYG Account
« Reply #15054 on: August 04, 2011, 02:01:10 pm »

That last fort was deleted so I could fix the raws to fix Kobolds.

Silverstream, settled by the group of Dwarves known as The Counselors of Order, is placed on a stream (doi) with deep metals, and shallow metals. Silverstream has been blessed by Armok with an extremely high FPS (Even the last good-FPS embark I had seems [pardon the pun] Dwarfed in comparison) and will probably lose it once I hit caverns / magma / definitely destroyed forever by HFS.
A wooden palisade is being built, the fortress is being carved out of the stone, and my Elven neighbors will be ticked off because I'm completely devastating the entire forest.
Quote from: Rose Lalonde, Seer of Light
One simple word can so easily begin a story in a very thick book.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »

And again it's about "Utteredtraded" the fort with elves at war from the beginning. It's in it's 6th year now and has a stable population of 85 dwarves, of which 24 are in the military. This year brought a goblin siege in late spring (5 mixed squads with nice equipment and one general) which was good training for the new archery squad. The hardest part was one bowmaster who decimated my crossbowdwarves, but Ilral Workrim the Enjoyable Fountains of Paper, a legendary speardwarf, solved that problem. She's basically a female, dwarven Rambo, running right into sieges and killing everybody with ease. She's covered in scars, but never got any permanent damage. When all the axemasters in the world can't help, it's time for her dramatic entrance ;)

The year 506 also brought another 4 elven ambushes (again at the same time) just at the time when all civilians were outside to collect the goblinite and all the military inside to rest. This could have been painful, but the elves are... well, not quite as deadly as you'd hope. Even goblins could've wiped half my haulers in one sweep, but the elves only managed to kill 1 (in words: one) blue peacock and I think, that might be the work of a war grizzly bear. Yep, they come with war grizzly bears but still don't manage to kill my unarmed and unarmored civilians ???
I think, I'll have to drop a few elves and a dwarven child into the arena... my bets are on the dwarven child >:(
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: August 04, 2011, 02:41:33 pm »

In Pickkings...

My only metalworker was killed. I was gonna make some coke and copper for weapons and picks to put my migrants to work. BUT those goddamn troglodytes have come back, and killed my metalworker.

Construction:
Not bloody much other than some granite fortifications to mark the base camp perimeters. No shacks will be built, just an open, 3x3 room with a bed and chest.

Production:
Coke and copper was going to be materialized to make picks and weapons to put my migrants to work.

Expansion:
The perimeters of base camp are quite large, enough to hold my current 6 and maybe a small migrant wave. Camps are to be built soon.

Combat:
A few trogs came in and killed my metalworker, but otherwise uneventful.

Plans:
Requirements are currently a metalworker and perhaps a farmer or two. Got several levels of limestone above the caves, but no iron. I can materialize iron anyways. I took out flux needs for steel and I think pig iron.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: August 04, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »

Bellhills - 16th Obsidian, 251: Population 15: Wealth 22,290

=Construction=
Moved forward far, we have almost completed out outer defenses, completed our food and drink industry, are preparing other side-industries.

=Production=
Production efforts moving forward well, however we cannot find any metal.  The scouts assured us it would be available but no matter how much we did we just find none! We will have to move into the caverns to search further, it is more dangerous down there but we have little choice.

=Combat=
We have had our first siege, nothing terrible, about a dozen dark stranglers.  Unfortunatly we did not have our wall completed so we could not control the attack however we were able to route them without major difficulty.  We only had one death, the first of our fort, but she died in battle, the way dwarves should (well that or accidents).

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: August 04, 2011, 03:16:38 pm »

We have had our first siege, nothing terrible, about a dozen dark stranglers.  Unfortunatly we did not have our wall completed so we could not control the attack however we were able to route them without major difficulty.  We only had one death, the first of our fort, but she died in battle, the way dwarves should (well that or accidents).
Cheers to your fort's victory over the dark stranglers!  How many & what type of soldiers does Bellhills have for defense? 

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: August 04, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »

the way dwarves should (well that or accidents).

There are no accidents, only SCIENCE! The Accidents are a lie.
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 3842