Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969467 times)

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #12180 on: April 03, 2011, 03:13:44 pm »

Just embarked on a map with adamantite exposed to the surface. Oddly the hole in the middle is open to the surface but no horrifying screams from below. This could be interesting!

edit1: Okay, the magma sea seems to be draining in to the HFS, FPS of 3 while un-paused, this sucks. :(

edit2: Also, there are no caverns, this world is oddly buggy! :S
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:17:44 pm by Darkweave »

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: April 03, 2011, 03:16:14 pm »

There can be multiple veins, apparently. only one vein houses the clowns. However, if you breach THAT one, clowns flood out of both veins.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: April 03, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

Just became a barony. About eight seconds later, I realized that my new baron and his lover, both from the original seven, were dancing around arrows being fired by one of the current batch of ambushers as they helped construct the roof over the main keep. Still, they're willing to work, so they can't be all bad. I just deactivated everything for them but engraving, as they are both legendaries and will doubtlessly do a fine job on their quarters. Shame about the lover being one of my three miners, though. But keeping the line intact > digging massive trenches and pits.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: April 03, 2011, 03:51:37 pm »

Just got my first ever glitched embark!

FPS was poor at first, but very quickly improved when I used dfliquids to put an obsidian wall in the way of the brook that was linked to the lake and allowing it to drain off the map. After that, though... the dwarves refused to act. They wouldn't pick up equipment, and they wouldn't dig.

Looking below the surface with dfreveal showed that the lower left quarter of the map had stone going all the way down to the HFS. Had my dwarves not refused to work, they could have tunneled all the way down without passing through the decently-sized adamantine tube.

Assuming the embark was bugged beyond playability, I decided I was going to use dfliquid to spawn some river sources that would wash my dwarves into the lake and drown them. Based on how it reacted when I told it to create the river sources, though, it seems that the glitched lower left corner was the only part of the map - at least, above the surface - that was legitimately considered "part of the map". That is to say, using Loo[k], only the lower left had "Open Space" above the surface (and thus, the river sources would only appear over that section of land). Weird.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: April 03, 2011, 03:58:01 pm »

Lol I just tried to unlock hidden fun stuff.

My military did stopped the initial demon attack, but three or four of my military dwarves died.

Then my stoneworker went berserk (probably because of four of his friends dying), and got shot by the marksdwarves.

I was fairly sure to lose to the following tantrum spiral so I savescummed.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: April 03, 2011, 04:27:34 pm »

My baron has been a baron for less than a month, and I already hate him. Throwing a fit because I buried someone in a gold coffin.  ::)

On another note, my fps has been hurting. A massive cleanup process is underway, with thousands of pieces of rubbish from the last few attacks being melted down or atomsmashed.

Edit: Hmm. I don't have enough enemies. Only the Bugbears, the Sand Raiders, the Violet Xelics, the Goblins and the Chaos Dwarves. Which civ's ambassadors and traders should I start murdering: Dyansauri, Frost Giant, Human, Elven, Vamarian or Silver Xelic? All of them, maybe? It isn't as if I need their crap, and they get slaughtered by ambushes most of the time anyways.

The artifact Ostarmorul Kiddirrabed, "Buriedpage the Ardent Freckles" has been completed! Worth 1,188,000 Urists, these adamantine greaves are encircled with bands of adamantine!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 04:57:30 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: April 03, 2011, 05:29:20 pm »

Installed .25, found a lovely savage site with a double aquifier. got carried away

Now after several failed attempts at piercing aquifers, and large holes in the middle of a dry tropical steppe I find myself with a sprawling mudtown, with several very Aztec ziggurats--one finished another, being built, 168 dwarves and a mayor both of whose arms have been torn off by ogres.

Judicious editing of the raws left me with tame crundles guarding the sacred entrance into the caverns, where a small outpost is being built.  There tame troglodytes are herding elk birds and having babies with illicitly passing male trogs (I only caught three females). Outside my walls, a small ogre settlement with a mudhut, behind which is the atomsmasher and a quern.  The ogres had one baby and then the mother died to goblins, it is very sad.

Someone just built a bismuth bronze mace, and I just learned how to make someone not use billon for weapon manufacture.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

BurnCruise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: April 03, 2011, 06:19:49 pm »

Recently got ambushed by 5 goblin marksmen and an axeman. Lost a legendary glassmaker/hunter, my main engineer and another hunter. My militia commander dodged into the river and drowned.

I wanted to see if i could minimize losses so i shut down DF and got ready. This time it was a siege of goblin axemen. About 20 of them swarmed down the hill and ran right for my pit trap. I raised the bridge and waited, only to have them turn around. I had forgotten about the path into the caverns i dug, but they had no trouble finding it. The military decided they were hungry at this point and most of them ran into my kitchen, leaving the recruits to get massacred. Restart.

Ambush by goblin swordsmen. ONE OF THEM killed and maimed my entire squad, leaving the rest of the fort to fend for themselves. Miners are pretty good warriors by the way. Oh well, restart.

Ambush again, but instead of the axeman its a maceman. Glassmaker dies in the exact same spot as the first time. Hunter dies in the exact same spot as the first time. I lose a planter this time instead of the engineer, but he dies in pretty much the same spot. My commander dodged into the river and drowned... again.

Through all this testing i discovered that my swordsdwarf (one of my initial 7) is a master of murder. She kills more goblins alone than everyone else combined. And she dismembers them almost completely too.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:16 pm »

So Adil Pulleytrenches, a 1-year-old little dwarf girl of my fortress got into trouble (I don't even know what harmed her), and ended up in her bed with way too many injuries for a child to handle... let us see... left foot fractured ,right false rib fractured, both legs broken, both arms broken and a broken left hand.  But living, and visibly stable.

The hospital starts four days after her initial rest, repairing two fractures and suturing her right upper arm. . I also command soap to be made since my fortress doesn't have any at the moment.

Then the little girl gets carried into her bed, and visibly doesn't wants to go back into the hospital bed. I struggle with the bed a bit (deconstructing, etc), then try to construct a statue on the bed-less little girl to move her to the hospital (didn't worked).

Finally it works and she is moved to the hospital. She then gets EIGHT sutures, including an ADAMANTINE one (grrrr), and soap is finally made, she is cleaned with elephant soap.

Then one day after, when her bones were getting set...

"Adil Besmarborik, Dwarven Child has succumbed to infection"

Right before my eyes. And right on the hospital bed.

Cue IRL instant growl of frustration. I had passed days on her, trying to save her (despite knowing she would probably grew into some mildly useful hauler), and i get THIS ???

choobakka

• Bay Watcher
  • The same thing we do every night, Pinky...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: April 03, 2011, 07:45:49 pm »

One of my leatherworkers just made Rimtar Evon, "The Castle of Lovers", A blue peafowl leather backpack.
On the item is a picture of The Castle of Lovers, the blue peafowl leather backpack, in yak leather.

Does this mean that that picture has a picture of the backpack on it? And so on? A backpack on a backpack on a backpack? Backpackception? An infinite backpack loop?

bobhayes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: April 03, 2011, 07:49:23 pm »

So Adil Pulleytrenches, a 1-year-old little dwarf girl...has succumbed to infection

Cue IRL instant growl of frustration. I had passed days on her, trying to save her (despite knowing she would probably grew into some mildly useful hauler), and i get THIS ???

So your bad management (no hospital up and running, soap not made before injuries) means a little girl is dead.

Now you have to live with it.

You MONSTER.

:P

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: April 03, 2011, 07:57:29 pm »

One of my leatherworkers just made Rimtar Evon, "The Castle of Lovers", A blue peafowl leather backpack.
On the item is a picture of The Castle of Lovers, the blue peafowl leather backpack, in yak leather.

Does this mean that that picture has a picture of the backpack on it? And so on? A backpack on a backpack on a backpack? Backpackception? An infinite backpack loop?

Nah, the recursion probably only goes through 8-12 iterations before the image of the image is a nano-scale construct.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12192 on: April 03, 2011, 08:25:19 pm »

Just lost three legendary axedwarves to a fire caused by a hellfire imp, which was on a limestone road I'd built specifically to prevent fires from hellfire imps. Burnt the road to the ground too. Didn't expect that. Guess I'll be building an underground fighting area.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: April 03, 2011, 08:29:09 pm »

I'm making a fort, and I am going to drain the ocean. And then later redirect it into hell.

Sarda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12194 on: April 03, 2011, 09:05:28 pm »

That won't kill them, you know. And sounds like it'd make it hard to settle hell.
You'll have to provide warm, moist kittens at the end of each test chamber.
Dwarf Fortress:
Where 9% of your town is casualties, is good.
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 3839