Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22

Author Topic: Lexicon: Unconventional Weapons  (Read 31242 times)

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Lexicon: Unconventional Weapons
« Reply #165 on: June 03, 2015, 12:16:23 am »

Assuming the test goes on long enough, slap me back in the queue.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 03, 2015, 12:19:57 am »

Eh, I think that you should need to put someone or something's name in your spell list to be able to cast a spell with it as a component. There's more room for fun and lethal interpretation that way (c'mon Piecewise, you know you want to...).

On a completely unrelated note, I have decided to change my character's name to Self self (first and last name, respectively).
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 03, 2015, 12:40:00 am »

On a completely unrelated note, I have decided to change my character's name to Self self (first and last name, respectively).
~___~

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 03, 2015, 02:00:17 am »

((Too bad we can't use our own name to target ourselves.))

Still dodging. Recharge Dragon.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #169 on: June 03, 2015, 09:23:38 am »

Who says you can't?

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 03, 2015, 01:54:17 pm »

Who says you can't?
((I thought you said it's like a projectile spell. I don't wanna shoot a dragon at myself.))
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2015, 09:19:26 am »

Who says you can't?
((I thought you said it's like a projectile spell. I don't wanna shoot a dragon at myself.))
I mean for the purposes of dodging it's handled like a projectile. Though phrasing would matter. "Beirus Dragon" could produce a hell of a lot of of results, depending on the potency. But "Beirus Transform Dragon" is fairly cut and dry.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2015, 09:28:56 am »

We'll go on a short hiatus here while I consider additional rules and create a new arena. Are there any rules or things that you think need explaining or regulation?

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2015, 01:57:17 pm »

I sort of feel that the half pool trick I've been doing is somewhat OP, but I'm not sure.  It might just feel like that because I'm the only person doing it.

I kinda want some way to create new words to add to your spell list, beside stealing from others.

I definitely think that using people's names is OP, primarily because you don't have to spend a point to recharg a name.  Although, if the name reduces the effect enough, it might be fair.  Is "break(2) Beirus" stronger than "break gaze"?  Because they effectively cost the same. 

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2015, 02:06:09 pm »

Maybe you can't use someone's name until you somehow learn their 'true' name (wizards use pseudonyms for this purpose) and put it into your wordlist.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 02:18:52 pm by Egan_BW »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 04, 2015, 02:09:46 pm »

Maybe make it so you can add a word from your victim's list to your own, instead of switching.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 04, 2015, 02:17:22 pm »

Would you mind explaining your thinking or rationale behind the word recharge system, Mr. Piecewise Sir? Just trying to pick your brain a little, and I had an idea for a possible mechanic but need to know what your thinking is.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #177 on: June 04, 2015, 09:19:13 pm »

I sort of feel that the half pool trick I've been doing is somewhat OP, but I'm not sure.  It might just feel like that because I'm the only person doing it.

I kinda want some way to create new words to add to your spell list, beside stealing from others.

I definitely think that using people's names is OP, primarily because you don't have to spend a point to recharg a name.  Although, if the name reduces the effect enough, it might be fair.  Is "break(2) Beirus" stronger than "break gaze"?  Because they effectively cost the same. 
Well, in the oldest version of perplexicon we only recharged one point each turn. And we had a lot of turns of people just sitting around. After that it just fully recharged at the end of every turn, and that is arguably much more op.  This is the midground between the two and gives you some control over how quickly it regens, as well as there being some downside to just always using full power magic all the time.

Well, I asked if we should just do it where you don't have a list and can just use whatever words you want, but people complained. We could make it so you can switch one word out per turn or something. Or we could just try it the way I was talking about earlier. Though Doc will be annoyed since he did a great big list.

But they don't though, one costs 3, the other costs 2. Names still require you to use pool, just not to recharge them. Unless you want to have them be some sort of understood part of everyone's list that requires charging too.

Maybe you can't use someone's name until you somehow learn their 'true' name (wizards use pseudonyms for this purpose) and put it into your wordlist.
I don't think anyone would ever learn anyone's true name though. I can't really see how that would happen.

Would you mind explaining your thinking or rationale behind the word recharge system, Mr. Piecewise Sir? Just trying to pick your brain a little, and I had an idea for a possible mechanic but need to know what your thinking is.
Well, it was mainly a way of forcing people consider which words they use carefully since they just can't spam them without cost.

Alternatively, if I really want to fuck with people, I'll say you can use any words you want, but you can only use them once.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2015, 09:21:46 pm »

Oh, and what I'm thinking for the new arena is a sort of modular thing. It would be one large arena and then I would roll and it would chose hazards and objects to put in the arena. I'm thinking this mostly because a big, huge multi-room area might work, but since we're not doing anything more then murdering, would it really matter?

Plus, if we stick it in the arena, I have an excuse to bump the players up to 6 and have 3 on 3 matches. 3 on 3 magic dodgeball.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2015, 09:23:43 pm »

But they don't though, one costs 3, the other costs 2. Names still require you to use pool, just not to recharge them. Unless you want to have them be some sort of understood part of everyone's list that requires charging too.
Gonna stop you there. He's including the cost of recharging in the spell.
Break Gaze: 2 (cast) + 2(recharge) = 4
Break(2) Beirus: 3 (cast) + 1(recharge) = 4

Edit: Also, if you do include truename targeting, then: "Learn (2) All (2) truenames", "Explode <truename>"
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 09:27:54 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 22