Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60442 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As for my character... I don't know.
Your character is a slime. Forgetting that it CAN'T be a part of the Emperor of Humankind, why is it an 'I don't know' instead of a definite 'no'?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile

I would like to point out that our characters include a hivemind of cats, a sapient giant spider, and a sapient nanocloud. As well as a transhumanist pseudofurry and a member of an uplifted alien race that has been waring itself for a long time.
"pseudofurry"
Black lives matter.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

Still not sure how it crosses any kind of moral event horizon.
  • Going on a scientific endeavour specifically to fight against another species indiscriminately.
  • Forgoing individuality.
  • Forgoing individuality to an even greater degree than the opposing force.
  • Large-scale transhumanism.
  • Deliberately creating an uncontrollable being with a massive amount of power.
  • Granting said being dictatorship.
  • Calling said dictatorship voluntary.
  • Changing the nature of human civilization forever, with unforeseeable risks.
  • Not thinking what will happen when the being is no longer necessary.
  • Crossing the above lines while more moral options are available.
And those are just some from top of my head. There are probably even more.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Going on a scientific endeavour specifically to fight against another species indiscriminately.
  • Forgoing individuality.
  • Forgoing individuality to an even greater degree than the opposing force.
  • Large-scale transhumanism.
  • Deliberately creating an uncontrollable being with a massive amount of power.
  • Granting said being dictatorship.
  • Calling said dictatorship voluntary.
  • Changing the nature of human civilization forever, with unforeseeable risks.
  • Not thinking what will happen when the being is no longer necessary.
*Technically it's fighting against three other species - one of which is actually aggressively assimilative and the other which is giant cyborg spider kill-gods. Even then, said Emperor doesn't really have to go to war against them - just lead humanity into greatness so they can stand on the same level as the three majors.
*This is indeed bad. You're correct. It's also necessary to prevent further forgoing of individuality.
*To a greater degree, yes, but not to as great a scale. Instead of assimilating trillions of beings (like the KX9 or the Kirvek), it's assimilating somewhere between a million and a billion people, though the latter number is hugely optimistic.
*The KX9 are already doing it. This act of transhumanism is expressly for the purpose of preventing any further transhumanism.
*Uncontrollable? Uncontrollable by whom? By the rest of humanity? The only reason why humanity hasn't been controlled by the major civilisations is because they couldn't be bothered. It's really only a matter of time until one of them can be and then it's all over.
*More like a leader. The Emperor would have massive amounts of charisma and intelligence to just persuade people to join. Unless it's necessary for the survival of humanity (and he'd know if it was necessary), it's unlikely that any kind of dictatorship will be put into effect. If it is necessary, well, it's bloody necessary for the survival of humanity and therefore it must be done.
*Either the dictatorship is voluntary or it's flatout called 'the Imperium'. Either way, there's not really any real problem.
*Unless this is done, human civilisation will be eradicated entirely. It's better the short-term probable risk than the long-term certain risk.
*Either humanity dies at the end of its tenure or it doesn't. Without it, humanity is doomed for sure.

• Crossing the above lines while more moral options are available.
I believe this entire thought exercise lies on the idea that there are no other alternatives. Also, I've been thinking for days and talking to Kevak meanwhile trying to come up with a way to defeat merely ONE of humanity's overlords. This is the only idea that he hasn't shot down.

EDIT: BTW, 'Emperor' is just a working title. It doesn't necessarily mean that the new man will be the head of an empire.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 08:19:34 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Aside from all the moral implications you're blatantly ignoring.

Why try to defeat them? it's not like the biggies are Trying to stop humanity from growing. Humanity simply is advancing slower then them. If humanity got its act together, it probably could at the very least, not fall further behind.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

As for my character... I don't know.
Your character is a slime. Forgetting that it CAN'T be a part of the Emperor of Humankind, why is it an 'I don't know' instead of a definite 'no'?
I meant in the voluntary sense. As in, IF she could.
She and her kind has a relation to Humanity, and would likely want to keep it away from being assimilated by the KX9.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Kevak's list seems less a list of moral reasons and more a list of practical reasons.

Why try to defeat them? it's not like the biggies are Trying to stop humanity from growing. Humanity simply is advancing slower then them. If humanity got its act together, it probably could at the very least, not fall further behind.

If the KX9 know they are harming others through their growth then it's probably a moral evil on their part not to do anything about it. Industrial companies aren't trying to pollute African rivers, after all.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 12:16:26 pm by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

Kevak's list seems less a list of moral reasons and more a list of practical reasons. Meaningful, but not authoritative.

If the KX9 know they are harming others through their growth then it's probably a moral evil on their part not to do anything about it. Industrial companies aren't trying to pollute African rivers, after all.
I think you're conflating overwriting someone's culture forcefully, overwriting someone's culture peacefully, and outright genocide/xenocide.
three very different things.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile

I was going to say that you probably meant 'confusing' but then I looked up 'conflating'.
In other news, I learned a new word today! Now, how best to use this to confuse my classmates...
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

Kevak's list seems less a list of moral reasons and more a list of practical reasons. Meaningful, but not authoritative.

I think you're conflating overwriting someone's culture forcefully, overwriting someone's culture peacefully, and outright genocide/xenocide.
three very different things.

I'm not. I'm saying that if overwriting someone's culture is harmful, then it doesn't matter if you do it forcibly or peacefully. You have to take into account the consequences of your actions.

Since the KX9 are amoral bastards it makes sense they'd try to justify it.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Philosophical discussion aside, when will we actually begin? You said a couple of days, yet I'm already itching.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

Prolly in a few hours. Person I'm dogsitting for is coming back.

Prophet

• Bay Watcher
  • Cultist and Heretic
    • View Profile

I like how this turned into a debate about why making a god emperor of mankind may or may not be moral. If it was me then I wouldn't give up my individuality but I suppose if they wanted to combine into one being then it is their lives/individuality not mine so I probably wouldn't care.
.... You've doomed us all. Granted. Everyone except for traps are executed. Random sci-fi nonsense is required to be taught in schools.
A cute intersex harem with everyone in love with the androgynous king and smart and useful enough into pushing the kingdom forward.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

I'm not. I'm saying that if overwriting someone's culture is harmful, then it doesn't matter if you do it forcibly or peacefully. You have to take into account the consequences of your actions.

Since the KX9 are amoral bastards it makes sense they'd try to justify it.
What makes it harmful or not?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it is their lives/individuality not mine so I probably wouldn't care.
It is any of your business when they're planning to make the Emperor, well, an emperor. For all of humanity. Removing democracy like this most likely has unforeseen consequences everywhere, including your hypothetical life in this society.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37