Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: Roll To Space Pirate. Rebooting a Pair of Boots and a Parrot. (Players wanted~)  (Read 60339 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

1. Build asymmetric dyson sphere to make the Sun a stellar engine
2. Fly the Solar System off into intergalactic space.
3. Probably never see them or anyone else from the Milky Way again.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile

1. Build asymmetric dyson sphere to make the Sun a stellar engine
2. Fly the Solar System off into intergalactic space.
3. Probably never see them or anyone else from the Milky Way again.

Youd have to hold the partial sphere at a fixed distance from the sun somehow.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

However the hell non-partial dyson spheres are supposed to do it.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

you mean Dyson Torus/webs? I think thats just velocity. Right speed and the right orbit and it should stay put.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile

• Put lots and lots of flexible, reflective metal plates in a half-ovoid in heliostationary orbit, thin sides facing the Sun
  • Simultaneously turn the plates to face the Sun and attach them to each other so that energy focuses to the apex of the "sail"
  • Gravity pulls edges of the sail towards the Sun, while the energy pushes the apex back. The focal point moves inwards, towards the sun.
  • The sun starts swallowing the sail as its own energy focuses on it, applying a vector.
  • After the sail has been fully swallowed, the Sun has moved in its orbit around the galactic center.
  • Repeat to move the solar system more, even escape the galaxy.
  • ?
  • Profit.

Proooooooobably doesn't work in real life, but it sounds like it might, and that's enough for science fiction.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

• Put lots and lots of flexible, reflective metal plates in a half-ovoid in heliostationary orbit, thin sides facing the Sun
  • Simultaneously turn the plates to face the Sun and attach them to each other so that energy focuses to the apex of the "sail"
  • Gravity pulls edges of the sail towards the Sun, while the energy pushes the apex back. The focal point moves inwards, towards the sun.
  • The sun starts swallowing the sail as its own energy focuses on it, applying a vector.
  • After the sail has been fully swallowed, the Sun has moved in its orbit around the galactic center.
  • Repeat to move the solar system more, even escape the galaxy.
  • ?
  • Profit.

Proooooooobably doesn't work in real life, but it sounds like it might, and that's enough for science fiction.

That's more like a cosmic jet engine than a sail. :)

Heliostationary orbit probably doesn't mean what you think it does. If you match the rotation speed of the sun you're still orbiting.

A static sail could maybe work, since gravity and solar pressure decay at the same strength (if you closely tuned the mass of the sail you could get it to be static with respect to the radiation pressure and gravitational force). The problem is that it's not a stable system and so you will have to constantly adjust the sail's position. Same problem as a dyson sphere, really.

you mean Dyson Torus/webs? I think thats just velocity. Right speed and the right orbit and it should stay put.

The gravity inside a hollow shell is zero, so if you put an object inside a dyson sphere it would feel no attraction. However the converse is also true--if you put a massive object inside the sphere, the dyson sphere will not be attracted by the massive object. They would move independently with respect to each other, i.e. an unstable system.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I meant by heliostationary is that the plates stay in place in relation to each other and the star. What would be a better word for that?

My idea is not supposed to be a stable system, but a disposable one-time boost for the star. Not exactly efficient, I know.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What I meant by heliostationary is that the plates stay in place in relation to each other and the star. What would be a better word for that?

If you mean they always face the star, you just set them to rotate at the speed at which they orbit. It's called synchronous rotation.

If you don't want them to orbit, you have to place them in a static configuration. This wouldn't be considered an orbit since they'd fall into the star without some force propelling them outwards.

'X-synchronous' orbit means having an orbit with the same period as X's physical rotation.
'X-stationary' orbit means having a circular synchronous orbit on the same plane as the object's equator.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey Kevak, could you put up a poll so we can vote whether our characters (humans only) would willingly sacrifice their lives and individuality to become a part of the Emperor of Mankind? You could use the results to determine how much of humanity would make the sacrifice in the universe should it happen. Just gonna say now that Knight wouldn't, regardless of whether it was pre- or post-anomaly Knight.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile

I would like to point out that our characters include a hivemind of cats, a sapient giant spider, and a sapient nanocloud. As well as a transhumanist pseudofurry and a member of an uplifted alien race that has been waring itself for a long time.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rook wouldn't, and I wouldn't. I wouldn't sacrifice my life or individuality just for a HFY. It would cross so many moral lines, voluntarity be damned, that it simply wouldn't be worth it. Mankind doesn't need an Emprah.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like to point out that our characters include a hivemind of cats, a sapient giant spider, and a sapient nanocloud. As well as a transhumanist pseudofurry and a member of an uplifted alien race that has been waring itself for a long time.
Humans only vote.

Rook wouldn't, and I wouldn't. I wouldn't sacrifice my life or individuality just for a HFY. It would cross so many moral lines, voluntarity be damned, that it simply wouldn't be worth it. Mankind doesn't need an Emprah.
It most certainly does if it's to survive the next few millenia. The next few centuries if it's particularly unlucky.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Happy Demon

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Demon
    • View Profile

I would totally do that, then again I'm weird, so I'd probably be that Weirdo Emperor part-mind.
So I'd just be silent and occasionally make disturbingly cute cosmic horrors.

As for my character... I don't know.
I like cats, they're smart and mysterious, and their kittens adorable.

I'm a Forum Demon, expect to find me lurking, and knowing random details.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The fact of the matter is, humanity could just as well survive without a huge moral cost, for example with the aforementioned let's-move-our-system-elsewhere idea. Two wrongs don't make a right, and one shouldn't cross the moral event horizon just because someone else has skirted it.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Still not sure how it crosses any kind of moral event horizon. It's all voluntary, they all know what they're doing and what they hope to accomplish, and it's all for a good cause - the eradication of foul xeno races and ensuring humanity's dominant place in the galaxy humanity's survival against inevitable KX9 assimilation.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37