Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15

Author Topic: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 10: Symbiosis]  (Read 23936 times)

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 6: Center of Attention]
« Reply #135 on: May 14, 2015, 10:21:19 am »

You know, simpler is better sometimes but I want to make planets warmer....
Fair enough. Hmm...

How about something like this?

Just describe the globe as a greenhouse like structure on a astronomical scale, making the inside warmer that it would otherwise be, without getting into specifics of how it actually works? Yay magic!

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 14, 2015, 12:33:10 pm »

Would it be possible for Da'at to get a familiar too?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 14, 2015, 12:38:08 pm »

Yeah, with the familiar thing happening I was considering converting Sundancer into a giant biomecha.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 12:40:35 pm by Demonic Spoon »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2015, 11:54:58 pm »

What are the use of spheres then exactly again? Do they determine whether you're allowed to spend xp on alterations? And that was unclear yes.
Let's say you want to create space fruit. You may create space fruit.

But maybe you want MAGIC space fruit. You can boost their Power by making them rare.

But let's say you don't want them to be rare and magical; you want them to be common and magical. So the way to do that would be to spend XP while creating them.

However, this is where Spheres come into play. Unless a creation is either an Unmantling or within one of your Spheres, you can't actually spend XP on it. So if you had the Sphere [Fruit], you could do so. If you were Unmantling to create them, you could do so. If the fruits boosted longevity and you had the Spheres [Fire][Pride][Sarcasm], you could not do so.

Do note that people rarely spend XP and I forget to check, so if somebody's been spending XP on things they shouldn't:

A. They've probably gotten away with it until now
B. You should totally rat them out to me so I can spawn a catgirl hit squad on their asses

Also, Pencil seemed to be wanting to invest the xp into the Verna directly, like for example how I invested into the Shards or Micelus invested into the Djinn, rather than investing it into some nebulous general technological advancement, with the the preface simply being a order to examine the technology of the Verna. Would such still be disallowed?
You may not spend XP retroactively. You may spend XP on a new action in an attempt to improve an old creation in some capacity, but you may not infuse XP directly into something that has already been produced.

Adittionaly, how would investment of xp into specific technologies work exactly? I'm a bit confused about the potential benefits it could grant, since the op rules mainly deal with how it effects creatures. Continuing that line of thought, how would are celestial bodies effected by the different power levels?

EDIT: And when unmantling to patron and forming a civilization, how would tweaking size and power levels effect the civilization exactly?
Depends on the specifics. To some extent, Power is open-ended; it usually gives magical abilities or exotic qualities, but the precise nature of these can be anything.

So in the case of technologies, that'd probably usually mean some magical or supernaturally skilled component. [Medium][Uncommon] Farming would probably mean simple rituals to farm better, or discovering exactly the right balance of plant and animal life to produce unnaturally efficient crops, or something similar. Along a similar line, [Small][Uncommon] Farming would probably mean similar, but steeply limited in some capacity; to certain times of the year, elevations, etc.

Positive Power levels for celestial bodies usually means they have some magical component to them; this can mean they're made of useful materials, they empower or enable certain types of magic, they radiate supernatural effects onto their neighbors, and so on. Lower power levels would typically mean they're nigh-useless in certain aspects- lack of materials, difficulty supporting life, etc.

Civilization attributes tend to focus more on organization and such than more solid creations. Size obviously tends to imply population and/or territory. Power can be a variety of things, particularly bearing in mind that civilizations as a whole can have attributes; for instance, the Verna civ is sadistically scholastic. Spending XP on that creation probably would have made them better scholars, but it could also have given them a stronger sense of nationalistic pride, better organization, or otherwise given them civ-centered gifts.

Yeah, with the familiar thing happening I was considering converting Sundancer into a giant biomecha.
Yours are the wings that will drink the heavens?

In any case, that depends on your definition of "familiar." You'll generally need to be of the right Tier to create or alter life, at which point making yourself a magic cat-thing that gives you magic cat-thing powers shouldn't be too difficult.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2015, 04:03:58 pm »

Da'at tries to cure the Lumen's nightmares and fears for the Godborn.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2015, 04:05:38 am »

The Maker attempts to show the Rootrip civilization the concept of tools and innovation.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2015, 03:19:33 pm »

Yours are the wings that will drink the heavens?
For whatever reason, I was thinking less "Gurren Lagann" and more Homeworld

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 20, 2015, 11:30:55 am »

((Poke?))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 22, 2015, 04:49:39 am »

Turn 7: Writhing Purpose

Planner skitters in winding loops, working off his frustration, before calming down. Then he begins carving away at the hunger of the Voidspawn, honing it down into a focused edge of killing power, refining their forms along with it, all aimed at a single goal, aimed at the cat-thing. They were made with a purpose, and they would fulfill it!
[11, Good] You refine the Voidspawn into relentless killers, allowing them to feed their divine hunger through the divine ritual of the hunt.

Voidspawn granted hunting impulse

Yes, I think that's enough. Time to get a bit closer with these children.

She had already embraced the form of a Djinn, now she would descend even farther into mortality. She took on the appearance of a young Djinn garbed in the desert robes of an Elder.

Shevel had failed in making perfect creations but she would have to make do with what was available. It was too late to change the nature of the Elders or Illuminators. No, Shevel would simply have to use their weaknesses for the Greater Good. She would spend many many years in communication with Elders and Illuminator alike, speaking of how self-control and order could greaten the prospects of all Djinn...especially those who ruled over them. She hoped, that one day, they would see the Greatness behind her speeches and Know what the true purpose of the Djinn was.

Shevel looked beyond the cold skies of Flow and noticed her fellow deities dealing with the Child of Kuron. She wondered if this creature would affect her plans.

I would hope you lot are dealing with the problem admirably?

Unmantle into a Patron. Cultivate the first proper Djinn civilisation. It has successfully integrated Elders, Illuminators and normal Djinn. It venerates order and hierarchy above all else, placing Elders at top, Illuminators in the middle and normal Djinn at the bottom. Within this social pyramid are the Houses, bloodlines showing relation to a particular Elder. Houses are the ruling groups of Djinn society and are often places of great games of intrigue. Being associated with a House gives protection towards Elder feasts; those who do are not part of a House can be devoured without warning. Houses can vary in prestige depending on age of their Elder, if he is active and if he is not a hermit [i.e, more respect towards communal Elders]. The death of the Elder results in the dissolution of the House.

Gain [Order].

[6, Poor] The Empire of the Eternal Spring arises on Flow, enforcing a rigid hierarchy based on caste and connection to active Elders.

Empire of Eternal Spring created
Now Patron of [Caverns][Psionics][Order]

Fear... Fear... Alerama felt how new beings starve for her life essence and for the first time in her life she forgot about playing with toys. All her thought was focused on this new feeling. She needs protection, she needs a safe playground, playground she will create for herself.

Unmantle to create a giant transparent sphere around Ark and Flow. It should act as a barrier against anything but light and heat. Ideally it should make space inside it little warmer
[4, Malus] You create a giant transparent sphere around Ark and Flow. It blocks anything save light and heat, as well as making the space inside a little warmer. A total success!

...oh, the "anything" also apparently includes vengeful souls, feelings of malice, that sort of thing. So that stuff will probably start building up in there also. Oh well!

Divine Barrier created around Ark and Flow
Now Titan of [Shields]

Ol'kuur contorts his body in what might be an uncomfortable shrug if he had about fifteen shoulders less. The Emergent had not truly answered him and had fled away back into the Kuron. His whisperwings had come out lackluster. Some inner voice tells him to stay away for the Emergent, but it had come out of his world, and unlike the death scarabs, he had not noticed its creation. Secrets lie beneath the Kuron, and who else should know them but the spirit of caverns and his children?

Map out the realms and caves of the Kuron. If possible, insert that knowledge in the Natarki.
[10, Poor] You map out the twisting chasms of the Kuron as best you can, imparting this knowledge into the Natarki. While they do not expand much upon the information, they do gain a sort of native recognition of the basic features around them.

Natarki granted Kuron familiarity

Da'at tries to cure the Lumen's nightmares and fears for the Godborn.
[15, Good] You attempt to cure the Lumen's nightmares, but find rendering them as though they never were impossible. You do the next best thing, and attempt to grant them the strength to overcome it. This works to a large extent, encouraging them to meditate on their dreams and fears in an attempt to be more at peace with them. The nightmares remain, as does the fear, but the Lumen have gained a new form of tranquility to help abate them and deal with other things as well.

Lumen granted meditation

The Maker attempts to show the Rootrip civilization the concept of tools and innovation.
[4, Malus] Your attempts to teach Rootrip tools and innovation runs into some interesting problems. Specifically, the Verna take to this notion of invention both poorly and with their usual zeal, creating all manner of devices of both questionable utility and horrifying origin. Utilizing their innate gifts for merging things with their own flesh, they begin devising living tools made from anything nearby, to the great horror of pretty much anything else that notices them.

Rootrip gains flesh tools

Quote from: ???
!!!
[9, Poor] The cat-thing creeps into a Natarki village and seeks out one of their number named Quirlomphthilus. The two become friends, and the cat-thing convinces him to train his magical talent into an art of concealment.

Quirlomphthilus, Natarki Veiler, arises

The Voidspawn chitter hungrily above, but cannot descend to the planet's surface. This does nothing to assuage the Natarki's paranoid tendencies.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Re: Mantling of the Gods [Turn 7: Writhing Purpose]
« Reply #144 on: May 22, 2015, 04:55:45 am »

...[Caverns/Psionics]?
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 22, 2015, 05:28:28 am »

((Looks like Irony accidentally unmantled me rather than you.))
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 22, 2015, 05:45:04 am »

Now, safe from the dangers of outside, Alerama focused on playing once again. The Goddess spent many years observing Ark and it's life only to find that it becoming boring with Rookit civilization conquering more and more land finding almost no competition. Furthermore, Alerama disliked the way how Rookit treated their alive tools. If they play rough with their toys then the Godess will play rough with them.

Create an ocean on Ark by pouring water at the centre of Rookit civilization
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 22, 2015, 05:46:34 am »

"In every one of you, my children, lies the spark of divinity. Magic is found in your blood, ever ready to be turned to great works of art and innovation...But trapped within your flesh, it is too weak. Even where it extracted, your blood is too little; barely enough for the purposes you were made for. As such we must go about pooling the blood of the youths...without ending their lives prematurely. What I am saying gentlemen, is that they must be milked. We must begin with the basics of course. I shall tell you the wonders of medicine first..."

-A Meeting of the Houses, Memo 28, from the mind of Elder Lakim.

Teach the wonders of medicine to the Empire of the Eternal Spring.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 22, 2015, 06:22:00 am »

((IronyOwl, would an action along the lines of "transform the Soulflare into a malignant tumor" be valid? Are there whisperwings or voidspawn inside the Divine Barrier? I think the Barrier was made specifically to block off the Voidspawn? I'm assuming gods can pass through the Divine Barrier? Or not? If not, we can at least still create and modify stuff on the inside right?))

Though Planner's mind was churning with further ideas, new creations begging to be created or modifications to existing potentials to carve masterworks from unworked material. But in the end he feared most the Cat-Thing's repeated predilection to subverting the creatures that others made.

He flew through the black void, approaching the fluttering Sundancer, its flight patterns well within his comprehension. The tiny pinprick of his first moulting, nearly invisible against its vast bulk now dwarfed the Planner who had further reduced himself since that first act of creation. He sped down the cavernous passage heading deep into the heart of his first work.

Behind him chitin writhed with renewed life, closing up the gap in the Sundancer's back, with new potential coursing throughout its entire surface ready to seal any other holes that may be created, preventing intrusion by enemies. This particular blocked passage would now only open for the Planner, with other sealings lacking the ability to open at all. As Planner neared the center of the Sundancer, he stretched out his divine powers, flowing into every cranny, asserting beyond the faintest doubts his sole ownership and control over its being. No others could ever be able to steal it from him, or twist it to their own purposes and gain. It was his.

Observe the effects of malicestuff buildup inside the Divine Barrier
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 01:44:30 pm by Demonic Spoon »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 22, 2015, 07:29:19 am »

((I just noticed that you never deducted the XP I spent on the Natarki. I should have 0 XP.))

Ol'kuur is perplexed. His mapping seems to have found no clues as to the origins of the Emergent. And now she has gone and recruited one of his children for her cause, whatever that cause may be. It couldn't be a cause that most gods would like, or she wouldn't have taken the actions she did. And above the Kuron, the Voidspawn are hunting for divine blood, destabilizing Natarki minds below. Maybe the Natarki need to be able to strike against them from time to time?

Grant some rare few Natarki the ability to cocoon and slowly grow into huge creatures with great psionic potential. Though the eventual shape and powers of the resulting leviathan vary, most can survive the void and have tough hides. -2 size for rarity.
Direforged Original
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15