Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blessed dwarf?  (Read 2702 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Blessed dwarf?
« on: April 13, 2015, 09:48:08 am »

My map has a river chasm which bottom is 9 z levels from the surface. None of my dorfs is swimmer or climber, so if they fall they should die.

But today I noticed two "accidents", and a seemingly blessed dorf.

1) I let two dorsf remove two limestone u/d stairs above the chasm. They did the job standing on the stairs.
I was curious about how they would climb up so I watched. I can swear I saw the first dorf fell... but the next second he was in the meeting area without a scratch (100 fps, everything was a bit fast).
Then I stared at the second worker, a carpenter. Now I clearly saw he fell into the chasm and splashed. But instead of dying, he did a FTL jump and I lost track of him. Using the unit menu, I found him on a tree 10 z levels above the river bed! I had to build some stairs so he could get down.

Uh oh... the combat log also confirmed that:

The spinning limestone strikes The Carpenter in the left upper leg, but there is no force!

2) The same carpenter fought a kea shortly after the inccident. The kea attacked and he jumped into the chasm... oh shit!

Obok Cerolnish, Carpenter cancels Construct Building: Interrupted by Kea.
The Kea grabs The Carpenter by the (+«grown cotton plant fiber left glove»+) with his right wing!
The Kea releases the grip of The Kea's right wing from The Carpenter's (+«grown cotton plant fiber left glove»+).
The Kea snatches at The Carpenter in the lower body with his first toe, right foot, bruising the fat through the (horse leather trousers)!
The Carpenter punches The Kea in the right foot with his right hand, bruising the skin!
The Kea attacks The Carpenter but He jumps away!

The Carpenter slams into an obstacle!
The Carpenter's left lower arm takes the full force of the impact, bruising the bone through the (llama wool cloak)!
The Carpenter's upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the right lung through the (llama wool cloak)!
The Carpenter is having trouble breathing!
The Carpenter's lower body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle and bruising the stomach through the (horse leather trousers)!

Obok Cerolnish, Carpenter: Our time in The Oracular Land is so brief...  Begone fear!
Obok Cerolnish, Carpenter: I've been injured badly.  Waaaaa...
Obok Cerolnish, Carpenter: Help!  Save me!
Obok Cerolnish, Carpenter: This is a fight!  Ahhhhhhh!  No!

Next second, he was in his bed, with only some buises and wet clothes.

Edit*

Oh, another teleporting dorf.  A miner fell into the water and re-appeared on a tree 12 z levels above...
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:01:18 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
Re: Blessed dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 10:04:09 am »

odd... this looks to me like you have dfhack's fastdwarf on to 1 1 (fast and teleport on), as the teledwarf would let them just get there in a single tick if there's a path from here to there. Or there's something weird. Try making more stairs and getting them to take them down, but this time watch them tick-by-tick ('.'). If something's still wrong and it's not fastdwarf/teledwarf, I'm not sure what's going on.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 10:10:26 am »

No, I didn't have fastdwarf on.
Other dwarves just walked and worked normaly.

The chasm did killed some merchants and wild animals.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 10:32:09 am »

Try making more stairs and getting them to take them down, but this time watch them tick-by-tick ('.').

Oh, it seems they simply climb all the way onto the tree...

I tested with a wooden stair. The first picture shows the dorf removing the stair. The second picture shows him falling with the log. The third shows him lying in the water. The rest of the pictures show him climbing all the way to the tree....

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 10:34:57 am by utunnels »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 02:40:28 pm »

Wormhole, time to build a time machine!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 03:03:11 pm »

Rename your fortress Deep Space 9
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 03:05:15 pm »

The expedition leader must be Sisko, and the Captain of the Guard must be Odo.

Broker is Quark. In fact, I'm naming my broker Quark right now.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 10:27:01 pm »

Actually, they remind me of scared cats who refuse to leave the tree they are hiding in.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 04:21:13 am »

PTW.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 04:39:40 am »

After looking at the path of the Dwarf... I thought, from the way you described this that the tree was overhanging and it was a straight climb up into the tree...

...now I can see what the Dwarf did... why did he pick that tree? Like, there are plenty of closer trees to the chasm... does he path along the ground, or does he climb the first tree then walk along the branches?
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:13 am »

After looking at the path of the Dwarf... I thought, from the way you described this that the tree was overhanging and it was a straight climb up into the tree...

...now I can see what the Dwarf did... why did he pick that tree? Like, there are plenty of closer trees to the chasm... does he path along the ground, or does he climb the first tree then walk along the branches?
He pathed along the ground(the red arrow).

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 10:24:25 am »

Actually, they remind me of scared cats who refuse to leave the tree they are hiding in.
Cats using offscreen teleportation?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 12:29:45 pm »

Cats using offscreen teleportation?

Mr. Fuzzlebottom, 3 to beam up.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0