Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tower Seige  (Read 2386 times)

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Im not new to the forums i just forgot my Password
    • View Profile
Tower Seige
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:04:57 pm »

So i Recently embarked near a tower and when there Siege arrived i Burrowed all my dwarfs and locked down the gates but when i looked at the Units list there was only one zombie on the map and soon he was gone to where did they go?
"Click" 3....2....Oops Wrong Lever

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
Re: Tower Seige
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 07:16:38 pm »

So i Recently embarked near a tower and when there Siege arrived i Burrowed all my dwarfs and locked down the gates but when i looked at the Units list there was only one zombie on the map and soon he was gone to where did they go?
I've noticed this too.  Undead sieges seem to have a tendency to just walk off the map and leave me alone.  Dunno why.

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:21:29 pm »

Hmm that might decrease the FUN scale by a few points.

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 07:38:23 pm »

I've noticed this too.  Undead sieges seem to have a tendency to just walk off the map and leave me alone.  Dunno why.

Shamble off to the local supermarket...

Some kind of instinct. Memory of what they used to do.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:39:55 pm by Tarqiup Inua »
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 07:44:02 pm »

There is usually a necromancer, who will leave shortly after the siege. His undead minions will stay longer. But sometimes you don't have traps, and your military is not strong enough, or the undead units simply strand themselves in a river, the siege will likely last forever.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:25 pm »

But sometimes you don't have traps, and your military is not strong enough, or the undead units simply strand themselves in a river, the siege will likely last forever.
I'm not sure what you're talking about in context, the undead just walked off the map and the siege notification ended.  I know because it's happened to me.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »

Not always. The necromancer sometimes will abandon his minions, who are unwilling to leave. This also happened to me.  :P

Edit*

Maybe it depends on how many units are there in the siege. You know when you kill enough of them, the rest will leave, ending the siege.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:59:45 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:43 pm »

Last time I got an undead siege, they outnumbered my dwarves and stuck around next to my wall for about a year before leaving the map.  So maybe it is number-based; I had about 60 zombies there.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Bearcoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 09:57:53 pm »

I dont think you guys understand what im saying is that the seige starts and then the zombies leave like 5 seconds later and only one came in the first place

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 11:20:53 pm »

I dont think you guys understand what im saying is that the seige starts and then the zombies leave like 5 seconds later and only one came in the first place

I believe it's related to armies traveling through sites.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2015, 01:55:01 am »

Will they come back? My forts are usually visited by undead in the first or second year and never come back.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2015, 11:26:11 am »

They were either just passing by, or got bored and left. The necromancer(s) commanding the undead have strange motives, and might only chill out for a few weeks before heading off to do something else. More likely though is that they were travelling somewhere else and didn't quite manage to avoid your fort.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2015, 12:16:15 pm »

I've have seen many behaviors in many re-gens. 
Necro can come early as summer.
I've seen overwhelming force of 30+ mixed (dwarf, elf, goblin, human) zombies come along.
I've seen behavior where 2 necro bee line to my fort entrance and get trapped in cages, with less than 10 zombie following after. 
I've seen necro + 3 follower "pods" with 2 other zombie pods that acts separately using different paths. 
I've seen the less than a day siege where I spent minutes designating my burrow only to have the siege lifted as soon as I activate the civ burrow.
I've seen zombie siege without necro, or necro is hidden still somewhere.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 03:32:45 pm »

Perhaps it's because they are "brain-dead." :D
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 08:09:04 pm »

Perhaps it's because they are "brain-dead." :D

Bravo sir.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: [1] 2