Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways  (Read 8619 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2015, 08:36:16 am »

Yeah, but with dice rolls the bigger the thing you try to do the bigger the potential disastrous consequences, so I think the OP is trying to find ways to reliably kill that, on a bad roll, won't have too bad an effect. So, very large effects or very precise effects would be riskier than a crude shove on a macroscopic level.
Close. I'm trying to find ways to reliably kill that, on a bad roll, will still have a decent effect on the enemy. Very large effects aren't bad in that something bad would happen to me on a bad roll, they're bad in that I'd need a good roll to get those effects to happen. Precise effects aren't bad, the only problem is that I need to do said effects in the right place so that even if the spell has low power it would still do decent damage.

Just for some clarification, we're talking about we want to do to the enemy. Attacks with acceleration are safe. Flash-stepping and doing other things that directly affect our own body, on the other hand, are dangerous in the way that Radio Controlled suggested.

Maybe just gently accelerate part of target's spinal cord down at the base of the skull. Even if no instakill, it might take him/her out of the fight for a while.
How would it take them out of the fight? KO? Temporary paralysis? Knock-down?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #91 on: April 11, 2015, 08:45:19 am »

Nerve pinch. Imagine knocking your elbow on something, except your whole body.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Kassire

• Bay Watcher
  • The damning skull motif
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 11, 2015, 10:34:22 am »

Clearly you should just accelerate their skull into their brain, meaning your pretty much dislodging the skull downwards breaking the spine and such. Or you know, cave in their heart with the ribcage, accelerate their stomach acids and lining out of their mouth, accelerate their eyes out of their sockets, accelerate all of their blood out of vital areas, accelerate limbs upwards but not the rest of their body, accelerate their head into their back, knee, or crotch, it'll break their neck or you know, maim them
All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #93 on: April 11, 2015, 11:26:18 am »

At sufficient velocity anything can become a bomb. If you have control over acceleration you can instantly cause any mass to accelerate to 200,000,000m/s. As long as it hits something large enough it'll cause a multi-biggaton explosion.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 11, 2015, 12:48:19 pm »

F=dp/dt=d(m*v)/dt=dm/dt*v+m*dv/dt=(v1-v2)dm/dt+m*a where v is the velocity of the total system, v1 velocity the body changing mass and v2 velocity of the mass being added or removed.
F+(v2-v1)dm/dt=m*a  which is pretty much the same as the wiki page you linked to. Don't see the problem here.
The problem is in this step:
dm/dt*v+m*dv/dt=(v1-v2)dm/dt+m*a
where you redefine velocity for one part of the equation. This is not mathematically permissible.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 11, 2015, 06:32:30 pm »

Clearly you should just accelerate their skull into their brain, meaning your pretty much dislodging the skull downwards breaking the spine and such. Or you know, cave in their heart with the ribcage, accelerate their stomach acids and lining out of their mouth, accelerate their eyes out of their sockets, accelerate all of their blood out of vital areas, accelerate limbs upwards but not the rest of their body, accelerate their head into their back, knee, or crotch, it'll break their neck or you know, maim them
The bit about the skulls and the ribcage would be hard to do since it's difficult to break bone but the thing about their eye sockets would prove very useful. Accelerate their stomach acid out of their mouth would be the equivalent of induced vomiting, wouldn't it? Accelerating the blood out of their vital areas would only be bad if I kept them out, something I'd have to roll multiple times for.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 12, 2015, 04:27:11 am »

That's actually a really good idea. So long as you're fighting something with a central nervous system like most animals on Earth do, you could really mess them up (even if only temporarily) that way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 12, 2015, 05:50:25 am »

That's actually a really good idea. So long as you're fighting something with a central nervous system like most animals on Earth do, you could really mess them up (even if only temporarily) that way.
Or just accelerate one wall of the brain blood vessels while accelerating the other in the opposite direction. Aneurysm.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #98 on: April 12, 2015, 05:55:48 am »

Just hitting the spine is much less precise though, and almost as powerful an incapacitator.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 12, 2015, 06:43:13 am »

Just hitting the spine is much less precise though, and almost as powerful an incapacitator.
Sure, it's mostly a question of whether the accuracy scales with or against size.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2015, 08:10:48 am »

Sure, it's mostly a question of whether the accuracy scales with or against size.
I imagine it probably trails away at both ends. So the further it is from the size of normal everyday things you manipulate (makes sense that magic would work that way, if it's the kind that requires a sort of mental visualisation) the harder it is to do.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2015, 05:30:59 pm »

Casting ranged spells is harder than touch spells, true, but not by much and it doesn't get harder by distance - line of sight is all that matters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]