Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways  (Read 8614 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Acceleration, and How to Apply it in Destructive Ways
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2015, 09:38:57 pm »

I don't think anyone has any affinities which could help defend me against magical/mental attacks, nor have I been playing long enough to know who is trustworthy enough to team up with. The advice about accelerating physical attacks sideways instead of the opposite way is pretty useful and I didn't really think of it. The bit about increasing the downwards acceleration of the brain (or any other body part) is also something I haven't thought of. The most I came up with in regards to that is increasing the acceleration of the entire body brought by gravity, but your idea would probably require a lower roll to succeed and could possibly be even more deadly since the rest of the body isn't accelerating downwards with it.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2015, 12:42:11 am »

Accellorate the speed at which that someone's shoes are going. Get them fast enough and it might trip them?
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2015, 01:18:04 am »

That's kinda similar to this:
Starter 3: let them charge you and as they step off the ground, increase their forward acceleration while you dodge so they fly off and hit the wall behind you.
but your version seems easier to do. Cool.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2015, 02:19:32 am »

F = ma
Regrettably a common misconception spread by an error in most basic physics education. The correct relation is F = dp/dt which only equates to m*a when mass is a constant, which is often not the case.

I didn't think magnetic accelerators had any recoil.
All forces come in pairs or F12=-F21 (imagine I put a vector symbol on the forces), afaik no exceptions.

Just wanted to mention that for correctness. :)

Edit: Wrong symbol
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 02:27:30 am by Jelle »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2015, 03:27:25 am »

What's dp and dt?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2015, 03:31:06 am »

Change in pressure and change in time, I think. Either pressure or momentum.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 11, 2015, 04:22:44 am »

Momentum.

Regrettably a common misconception spread by an error in most basic physics education. The correct relation is F = dp/dt which only equates to m*a when mass is a constant, which is often not the case.
No, Jelle. What YOU said is an error. F=ma and F=dp/dt are equivalent, and it is trivial to change one into another by substituting a=V/t. Furthermore, both assume constant mass. You don't get a correct expresion for the equation of motion in variable-mass systems if you just treat m and V as variables and expand dp/dt to mdv/dt+vdm/dt.
See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-mass_system

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 11, 2015, 05:07:07 am »

Perhaps this argument should be moved to the science thread?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 11, 2015, 05:26:25 am »

Controlling acceleration is literally a reality-breaking power. It's the Worm Superpower Effect - even as macroscopic power as controlling bugs, used creatively, can rise in power disproportionately; a power over something as basic as acceleration is literal godhood within its range if you have the know-how.

Accelerate particles, you're a pyromancer now. Accelerate atoms against each other, you're a nukemancer. Accelerate a small projectile, you now have a psychic M82 Barrett rifle. Accelerate bodyparts enough, you've just made your enemy rip off their own bodypart. Accelerate the entire damn enemy upwards... SPLAT!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 11, 2015, 06:25:48 am »

Momentum.

No, Jelle. What YOU said is an error. F=ma and F=dp/dt are equivalent, and it is trivial to change one into another by substituting a=V/t. Furthermore, both assume constant mass. You don't get a correct expresion for the equation of motion in variable-mass systems if you just treat m and V as variables and expand dp/dt to mdv/dt+vdm/dt.
See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-mass_system
a =/= v/t That's kiddy physics. a=dv/dt

F=dp/dt=d(m*v)/dt=dm/dt*v+m*dv/dt=(v1-v2)dm/dt+m*a where v is the velocity of the total system, v1 velocity the body changing mass and v2 velocity of the mass being added or removed.
F+(v2-v1)dm/dt=m*a  which is pretty much the same as the wiki page you linked to. Don't see the problem here.

What's dp and dt?
p stands for momentum which is m*v where m is mass and v is velocity. dp would be a change in momentum, say between p1 and p2. dp/dv would be the derivative of momentum to time, also known as force (F).
Don't worry if you don't know about derivatives yet, if you're stll in school you'll get there eventually. :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:30:35 am by Jelle »

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2015, 06:53:39 am »

Funny thing is that acceleration isn't what kills people, it is a DIFFERENCE in acceleration between parts of the body that causes damage. You can accelerate someone at 10,000 g just fine as long as the acceleration is equally applied to every part of the body.
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2015, 06:58:21 am »

Don't worry if you don't know about derivatives yet, if you're stll in school you'll get there eventually. :)
Actually, worry. Because it means you'll have to get there one day and calculus is a biiiiiitch.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 11, 2015, 07:05:24 am »

Controlling acceleration is literally a reality-breaking power. It's the Worm Superpower Effect - even as macroscopic power as controlling bugs, used creatively, can rise in power disproportionately; a power over something as basic as acceleration is literal godhood within its range if you have the know-how.

Accelerate particles, you're a pyromancer now. Accelerate atoms against each other, you're a nukemancer. Accelerate a small projectile, you now have a psychic M82 Barrett rifle. Accelerate bodyparts enough, you've just made your enemy rip off their own bodypart. Accelerate the entire damn enemy upwards... SPLAT!
Except I'm an Acceleration mage competing against a Healer/Summoner mage (who gave me cancer by accident), a Force mage (force as in the thing that creates acceleration), an Aspect mage, an Aether/Summoning mage, a Weaponry mage, a Pestilence/Metals mage, a Temperature mage, a Curse mage, a Metal mage (again), a Demon-Summoner mage, a Warp mage (WH40K), and a Luck mage. At least three of my competitors have reality-breaking powers like I do (Force, Temperature, Luck) and since the power and technique of the spells cast are based on dice rolls, finding efficient ways to kill people with Acceleration that don't require high rolls is pretty important.
I'm curious, though, about your comment on accelerate atoms together. If I were to get two atoms to collide with each-other, is there some way I can be sure the explosion won't be big enough to be a literal nuke?
Worm Superpower Effect? What's that?

I left high school at year 11 so I could do university full-time (was doing it part-time at the time) so I'm unaware of anything beyond that level, especially since I left early in the year.

Funny thing is that acceleration isn't what kills people, it is a DIFFERENCE in acceleration between parts of the body that causes damage. You can accelerate someone at 10,000 g just fine as long as the acceleration is equally applied to every part of the body.
Yup, we got that. One of the things we're trying to do here is find out which specific body parts to accelerate to the exclusion of others with the intent of killing, injuring, and/or disabling that person (among talks about how to create nukes and plasma rifles with acceleration). For example, increasing the downwards acceleration ONLY on a man's two best friends will lead to a very unhappy breakup in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:09:29 am by Andres »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2015, 07:40:07 am »

Except I'm an Acceleration mage competing against a Healer/Summoner mage (who gave me cancer by accident), a Force mage (force as in the thing that creates acceleration), an Aspect mage, an Aether/Summoning mage, a Weaponry mage, a Pestilence/Metals mage, a Temperature mage, a Curse mage, a Metal mage (again), a Demon-Summoner mage, a Warp mage (WH40K), and a Luck mage. At least three of my competitors have reality-breaking powers like I do (Force, Temperature, Luck) and since the power and technique of the spells cast are based on dice rolls, finding efficient ways to kill people with Acceleration that don't require high rolls is pretty important.
I'm curious, though, about your comment on accelerate atoms together. If I were to get two atoms to collide with each-other, is there some way I can be sure the explosion won't be big enough to be a literal nuke?
Worm Superpower Effect? What's that?
If you're an acceleration mage, the Temperature mage is basically you with a more limited skillset. Temperature is the average kinetic energy of particles in a system, so if you accelerate particles, you raise temperature.

Force is basically a variant; if you exert force, something gains acceleration, if you accelerate something, the force it exerts raises.

Depending on how exactly your powers work, you can decelerate air and solid matter moving towards you to avoid getting killed by the blastwave, but if it's a diceroll... I wouldn't risk it, plus there's photons of electromagnetic radiation you'd have to deflect, if only not to go blind from the flash.

The effect is basically a reference to a web novel, Worm. It's a bit non-traditional superhero story and the protagonist gets an apparently relatively useless power of controlling insects, but by sheer creativeness in usage it becomes a highly versatile powerset, won't spoil it for you. What I'm saying is that a creative and clever application of power raises its utility exponentially.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 11, 2015, 07:56:14 am »

Yeah, but with dice rolls the bigger the thing you try to do the bigger the potential disastrous consequences, so I think the OP is trying to find ways to reliably kill that, on a bad roll, won't have too bad an effect. So, very large effects or very precise effects would be riskier than a crude shove on a macroscopic level.

Maybe just gently accelerate part of target's spinal cord down at the base of the skull. Even if no instakill, it might take him/her out of the fight for a while.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7