Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47389 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #315 on: October 02, 2015, 06:39:31 pm »

One color scheme I like is Darkling theme of the forum. I have css for it somewhere...

Here.
Done.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: October 03, 2015, 12:54:37 am »

Me likes.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #317 on: October 04, 2015, 02:33:15 pm »

I started work on the New Character Creation Page. I'm finished with the layout and have started working on the script. Any suggestions so far? Should I add or remove something?

Also, while doing that, I noticed that the PC template still says "Reason assigned to HMRC". I could add some sort of flag that toggles from HMRC to ARM and defaults to HMRC. Or I could change it to something more universal, like "Reason for being in the ARM" or "Reason for being on the Sword". Or drop it altogether and say it should be part of the Personal Information section. Any ideas?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: October 04, 2015, 02:41:56 pm »

Also, while doing that, I noticed that the PC template still says "Reason assigned to HMRC". I could add some sort of flag that toggles from HMRC to ARM and defaults to HMRC. Or I could change it to something more universal, like "Reason for being in the ARM" or "Reason for being on the Sword". Or drop it altogether and say it should be part of the Personal Information section. Any ideas?

Personally, since we're ARM now, I think that line in character profile is obsolete - revolutionaries are historically very diverse in their backgrounds, even if majority of them happen to have common background. If with HMRC you could just name crime committed by or attributed to the character, it is not that easy to put a reason for a revolutionary into one line. So I support you in your initiative to merge it with bio.

Also, I'd make these big red ERROR reports smaller. I think red does good enough job of highlighting those.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 03:57:08 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: October 04, 2015, 03:00:35 pm »

I think it should have a flag to switch between if HMRC and ARM. Because we still have plenty of criminals in ice on the Sword and I'm certain many people want to play role un/justified criminal as it was original premise of the game.

Skill level doesn't seem to change with points assigned. I assume you know this already.
And text boxes vary wildly in length.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #320 on: October 04, 2015, 03:44:52 pm »

And text boxes vary wildly in length.
What do you mean?
Do you think it would look better if they were in something like a table, so they all had equal width?
Or is doing something simple like putting a linebreak after HMRC or putting the label above large textboxes all that's required?
Not going to work on that right now either way, just trying to understand.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 04, 2015, 11:45:09 pm »

Yeah, table or anything to ensure equal width of textboxes would make it look much better.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #322 on: October 05, 2015, 08:49:46 pm »

I'm done with the new character page. I tested it a bit and it looks fine. If anybody finds any problems, yell at me.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: October 06, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

I'm done with the new character page. I tested it a bit and it looks fine. If anybody finds any problems, yell at me.
I see no real problems on a cursory examination. How would you feel about switching the toggle between HMRC and ARM from a drop down to a radio button toggle?
Asiggned to HMRC O
Joined Arm           O
Because [text box]

You're doing good work. Cheers!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2015, 06:06:22 pm »

I don't feel it would make a big difference either way, so I think I'll leave it as it is, unless you think there is a reason it would look better or other people agree.

And thank you. If it works well, I'll see about changing the links in the wiki and asking piecewise to change the one in the... I don't even remember where it is, but I think there's a link in the OOC thread? The on ship thread? Somewhere stickied, anyway.

In other news, I created a simple php script to get stat and skill data from character pages, but no matter what I did, it would not work. I spent half a day trying to fix that before I realised that wikia had banned the server's IP for some reason. Gah, so annoying, sometimes the simplest things do not cross my mind.

I temporarily solved the problem by using a public proxy, but those things are not very stable or quick, so I'll need a better solution. Anybody knows of any good proxies? Otherwise, I'll see if I can set up a proxy in my home and pass the wiki pages through it to the server. Or maybe contacting wikia and getting them to unban the server.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 06, 2015, 06:22:12 pm »

I like what I see, Paris. Also, I do believe that the old version was linked on the wiki page for new players.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 08, 2015, 01:28:01 pm »

If you aren't using the API, wikia likely banned the server's IP because they detected a rush of automated access attempts trying to circumvent the API.

http://api.wikia.com/wiki/Quick_Start

If so, use the API and you should be golden.

If you are using the API though, then my advice is void. Good luck!

Looking through the docs, I don't see anything that lets you edit wiki pages, there's no authentication systems or API keys. So if you want to edit pages you're SOL, sadly.

http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/api.php
http://einsteinianroulette.wikia.com/api/v1/
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:39:54 pm by Moopli »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #327 on: October 08, 2015, 01:51:21 pm »

Yeah, the problem is, it's not my fault. It's not really my server. It's Red Hat's public cloud. So I'm guessing that someone else that is part of the cloud did something to get the particular IP I was assigned at the time banned (something like a spambot). Or maybe all cloud traffic passes through a single IP. I don't know, I haven't experimented with that yet. You can see the setup in my github if you want, it's in my sig (and I'm too lazy to open another tab on my phone to copy the address here).

I need to check what's going on with the cloud's IPs and see if wikia has a list of banned IPs somewhere. Because I was denied access the moment I tried to run the script, while at home and on the cloud using a proxy it worked fine every time. So it can't be something I did, unless I did something very wrong.

And I haven't bothered with the API yet because I'm not looking for large amounts of data or metadata, I just need to dump an HTML table from the character page to the user's JavaScript (I need the PHP script to bypass CORS protection). I'm just focusing on making a working prototype and learning how the API works for something so simple seemed like a waste of time. Maybe in the future, if I want to add some sort of drop down menu that gets its input from the character category, I'll learn how to use the API to get that data.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 08, 2015, 02:46:15 pm »

Huh. I'm a bit confused, do you need the php to bypass CORS because of something the RH cloud does, or because you need to bypass CORS if you want to access the wikia pages without using the API?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #329 on: October 08, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »

I'm writing the scripts I'm using in the calculator pages in JavaScript, mostly because I find it easier to debug through Firefox and Firebug, since the code is executed in the client instead of the server. And for security reasons, browsers don't allow scripts to get data from different domains unless the target domain allows the source domain to make CORS requests (you can find more info about that here: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTTP/Access_control_CORS ). That means that my javascript, which runs under the "rhcloud.com" domain, can't access wikia because it is in a different domain called "wikia.com".

So to bypass that, I create a PHP script that runs on the rhcloud server and outputs the HTML of the requested character page. And because that PHP script is in the same domain, the rhcloud domain, its output can be accessed by the JavaScript in the client's browser.

It's very rudimentary right now, it just uses cURL to imitate a Firefox browser and copies the contents of the entire page without processing them. And because it passes the data through a public proxy to bypass the IP ban, it's really slow.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 34