Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89189 times)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 40)
« Reply #450 on: September 03, 2015, 03:06:01 am »

"This appears rather ominous. But I do suppose we are to sit at the table, like knights of a sort."

Sit down at the table in front of a crystal and inspect them.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 40)
« Reply #451 on: September 03, 2015, 03:13:12 am »

Roll 42

"This appears rather ominous. But I do suppose we are to sit at the table, like knights of a sort."

Sit down at the table in front of a crystal and inspect them.

You pick up the crystal and, as soon as you touch it, the crystal turns red-hot and burns your fingertip.

You hear a familiar voice.
Lady of Winter: Zikal, it is good that you are here. There are three others, in addition to yourselves, that have been chosen. One of them will arrive here shortly, while the other two are busy with an errand at the Kaiserin's palace.
I shall explain why I have called you when the third shows up. In the meantime, you are free to ask any other questions.

Your whole body is protected by some sort of green glow, visible in the dark (-1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember many eyes
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

The room is quite frighteningly dark at the edges. While the center is illuminated by the candle, all you can see in the rest of the room are faint glimmers, of suits of armor tinted gold, perhaps by the candlelight rather than the material itself.
The vilespawn screeches up behind you. It was following you all along.
Be careful, for our hosts are unaware of a certain threat in this chamber. I do not know who sent them, nor what intellectual topography they occupy. But they have set up a phantasm barrier to elude the host you seek. She detects only us.

You spot something tangled in the distance, near a suit of armor, black against the floor.

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have an uncharged Quickbow (Attack power: 1. Can fire twice per turn. Charging it allows you to fire two arrows per attack, four in one turn)
You have 11 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Archae walks along the trail, looking at the eyes with an air of curiosity.

The eyes don't seem harmful, and in fact the silvery tendrils seem to part along the trail to allow you passage. They lead you downstairs, shifting from the ground to the ceiling. Behind you, the eyes have closed and merged back with the floor.

As you approach the stairs, [2][5] your foot catches something and you stumble, but do not fall down the stairs. You catch, at the bottom of your vision, something like a tendril receing into the darkness of the stairs.

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)
You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)
You remember many eyes

You have a red resonance crystal.

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

Leonhard pets Klein, his face showing both suspicion and a lack of amusement. "What are you and what would I need help with? It's like I'm being used like a pawn and I'd be okay with it - that's my job - if I was being paid."

Efa: Hmm, so she didn't tell you. Fair enough. You sure you aren't being tracked? Hold on...

She stands up and leaves the pile of shredded costumes and loose fibers, revealing a curled spaded tail longer than her robe, which gently uncurls as she moves around. She sidesteps so that she can see the door--although you're not sure she actually looked at it since she keeps her face hidden by that strange cap of hers all the time.

Efa: Mm'kay, so at the moment I am trying to get the Kaiserin to hear my argument on the negative effects of widespread printing. But it seems you'd like to know what's going on. Basically, my Lady wants five random, unrecognized adventurers to stop the Min. I'm not really sure how she expects to do us, but when the Lady told me what the Dao was planning to do to our society... I had to try, at least. But I'm only here for a side project of mine.
She adds,
Efa: Say, you look like nobility. Do you by happensance know any of the Kaiserin's advisors? I would like to forward a message to her.

Your head is sunburned (1)

You have a black Cloak of Ash (protects against Ashlight and fire)

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

I wait quietly.

A strange voice fills your mind, the voice of a woman. One that is definitely not Efa.

Strange Voice: Efa, he is the one I sent. He is a mercenary captain unrelated to the Kaiserin. I will give you some time, but please be quick about it; the nova ends soon and I can only operate the depthtrains for another hour.

It is the 6th hour after noon. Ash is burning out, still giving +1 to the first die of a Thoughtform roll. This effect will linger on until the start of the 8th hour.
Expected end of Ashstorm: 7th hour.  (Next hour: Turn 50)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:37:07 am by _DivideByZero_ »
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 42)
« Reply #452 on: September 03, 2015, 03:40:04 am »

Archae tries to make out the shadowed thing, and cautiously makes his way closer.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 03, 2015, 09:36:34 pm »

Archae tries to make out the shadowed thing, and cautiously makes his way closer.

You approach carefully, [1][3] but your foot catches on to something again, and you fall down into the shadowed area, holding out your arms and dropping your stick. You do not collapse down the stairs, although the position is very inconvenient.

"Archae, is there something wrong? Iris can help you get up."
A small glint appears on the floor. You realize it's another of the strange eyes, opening next to your hand.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 04, 2015, 12:23:14 am »

"I-I'm fine, thanks. Just having trouble with my footing."

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 04, 2015, 04:05:18 am »

I stay quiet for a little longer.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 05, 2015, 06:41:29 am »

Willhelm walks up to Zikal and whispers.

"Zikal. Careful. Intruder near armour, on floor. Bad."

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 05, 2015, 10:43:24 am »

Leonhard frowns, one of his hands resting close to his hip close to the katzbalger and arquebus while the other continued to pet Klein. "I was told about those 'plans' and all, but this story is just so fishy. I'm no nobility and I know no advisor, I'm just a mercenary who's lived long enough to spend what he's gained. Part of the reason I came here is 'cause I was invited earlier after chasing a girl on a flying beast. And if you can forgive my directness, just who are ya?"
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 05, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »

((Waiting on HEN))

Leonhard frowns, one of his hands resting close to his hip close to the katzbalger and arquebus while the other continued to pet Klein. "I was told about those 'plans' and all, but this story is just so fishy. I'm no nobility and I know no advisor, I'm just a mercenary who's lived long enough to spend what he's gained. Part of the reason I came here is 'cause I was invited earlier after chasing a girl on a flying beast. And if you can forgive my directness, just who are ya?"

Efa: Oh, umm... I can see how you're having trouble believing me. I suppose an introduction is in order.
He hangs her head to the side again, as if glancing at the door.
Efa: I am Efa. I don't have much of a title anymore. I was once a professor at Grimfear University--pardon the cheeky name. My people had all sorts of inside jokes and references in their names.
I come from a land below this one, untouched by societies from the surface. Mine developed differently, in terms of both technology and society. We grow from spores on the cave wall, so there's that. We also look very different, as you can imagine.
You found a crystal used to communicate between minds. Or your cat found it, I was told. That didn't work out too well.
Anyway, my Lady said she had five of the crystals--two are broken so they only work one way for sending commands. She needed five people for some kind of quest. I ran into her castle while exploring the world, so she gave me a choice of saving this world or leaving it. I obviously chose to help. I'm not sure what she will do if you refuse, given that you don't know anything unseemly yet, but I would recommend playing along.

As for your lack of a noble title, that's unfortunate. But forgive me, I didn't expect a sudden recruitment into the ranks of a clandestine organization.

Some boards erupt off the ceiling as if knocked from place by a bomb. Five cloaked, featureless persons wearing hats shaped like pyramids--covering their whole heads, in fact--rappel off the ceiling, leaping smoothly onto the ground.
"Nobody expects a sudden recruitment into the ranks of a clandestine organization!"
Efa stares at the lead man, no expression visible under that hat of hers.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 05, 2015, 06:10:18 pm »

Now that is absolutely glorious, I can't pass an opportunity like this up.

I break out into laughter.
"Now THAT is how you make an entrance! I haven't seen something like that in the absolute LONGEST time. I was waiting for a chance to make an entrance of my own but you've upstaged me so well I'm afraid to even try. Please, Sirs, introduce yourselves."

((although Leonhard can hear Valyrie perfectly clearly, there isn't any visible sign of where she is.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 05, 2015, 11:53:32 pm »

The mercenary stops petting Klein and looks around, his katzbalger already in hand and raised in a defensive posture when the men reach the floor. When no one tries to attack him, he spends some time staring at the newcomers like they'll take off the pyramid heads at any moment and yell "you got pranked!". When no one does so, he sighs deeply. "What is this? Why do ya all look ridiculous? I can understand why someone's laughing, but where's that person and hasn't she showed herself just yet?"
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 07, 2015, 03:12:29 am »

The mercenary stops petting Klein and looks around, his katzbalger already in hand and raised in a defensive posture when the men reach the floor. When no one tries to attack him, he spends some time staring at the newcomers like they'll take off the pyramid heads at any moment and yell "you got pranked!". When no one does so, he sighs deeply. "What is this? Why do ya all look ridiculous? I can understand why someone's laughing, but where's that person and hasn't she showed herself just yet?"

You hear the head-voice-woman say, "I am unable to show myself in urban areas. My power extends only so far as nature."

Efa grins and whispers, "I'm not sure if that's the one he asked about."

The lunatics assemble themselves in a row and begin a carefully-orchestrated speech. They seemed to have had it all planned out beforehand.
Lunatic 1: Ridiculous, you say? We concede the point.
Lunatic 2: But showmanship is not our purpose.
Lunatic 3: We, are the Illuminant Order, the masterminds behind the imperial throne,
Lunatic 4: An ensemble formed to check the rule of tyrants,
Lunatic 5: And to guide society into greater paths than allowed by the limitations of archaic despotism.

The one in the middle steps forward, if left uninterrupted, and announces,
Lunatic 3: As the Prime Operatives of the Illuminant, we Five have sent ourselves to recruit the robed woman into our order. Her skills will be most useful to us, yes? As for you, mercenary, you are unnecessary for our plans.

The two lunatics on the edges, 1 and 5, seem to be wearing crossbows slung over their shoulders. Lunatic 1, the leftmost, begins reaching for his.

Each lunatic sports a golden hilt covered by the black robes, but none of the others seem to be making a move.

Mysterious Voice: This was not part of the plan. Please get yourselves out of this situation as soon as you can.
((Efa and Valyrie can hear this too.))
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 03:14:23 am by _DivideByZero_ »

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 07, 2015, 04:16:37 pm »

"Intruders in the Castle of the Lady? We need to keep an eye out for them." Zikal whispers back to Wilhelm. He then turns to the Lady. "I must ask, what is the purpose of such an elaborate maze of a castle, already in a deadly swamp?"
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 07, 2015, 04:20:05 pm »

Willhelm nods.

keep the intruder in sight. Try not to let him out of my sight.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 08, 2015, 01:08:17 pm »

"Misters, misters. I'm armored, armed and pissed. We should solve things cordially or they'll get really ugly really quickly and that'd be bad for all of us. How 'bout ya stop reaching for those weapons and first ask whether the lady even wants to join you?" His suggestion sounds helpful, his apparent calmness belying the willingness to murder carefully sharpened over his mercenary career.

Try to convince them to be reasonable; Charisma applies. In case they decide to attack, take out the most immediate threat with a Zweihänder strike and leave the blade on the enemy, fire once with the arquebus at another then swap to the Katzbalger.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 40