Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14638 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #75 on: April 02, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »

Worst game I like? Hard Time. By MDickie.
I don't even know why. I wish there was a better game that was essentially it. I like going around virtual prisons beating the shit out of people. Why doesn't anyone go after this market?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2015, 12:53:20 pm »

I like OFP & ARMA despite the performance issues, wonky AI, and general bugginess that sometimes seem to have barely improved in the 15 years since the first game.

Too bad there's no real alternatives for that kind of gameplay.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2015, 03:38:09 pm »

There was this really bad indiana jones game for the sega genesis,
I think it was Young indiana jones and the infernal machine?

The enemy designs are stupid, the level design is a nightmare, your whip is a pain in the ass to use, and the graphics are those "photo realistic" pixelated eye burning blobs.

I keep trying to beat it though.

The other game is star wars episode 1 the phantom menace for playstation,
I played the shit out of that game and I still feel like I've missed secrets. Its probably the only adventurey type game where I have actually cared at all about NPCs.

As an alternative, Pitfall The Mayan Adventure is also for Sega Genesis and kicks ass.
Shoes...

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2015, 04:02:09 pm »

I really enjoyed wolfenstein 2009, the Kar98k just seemed really powerful and it was fun to watch the nazis explode with it. Not to mention the particle cannon.
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2015, 09:31:03 pm »

There was this really bad indiana jones game for the sega genesis,
I think it was Young indiana jones and the infernal machine?

The enemy designs are stupid, the level design is a nightmare, your whip is a pain in the ass to use, and the graphics are those "photo realistic" pixelated eye burning blobs.

I keep trying to beat it though.

The other game is star wars episode 1 the phantom menace for playstation,
I played the shit out of that game and I still feel like I've missed secrets. Its probably the only adventurey type game where I have actually cared at all about NPCs.

As an alternative, Pitfall The Mayan Adventure is also for Sega Genesis and kicks ass.

I think I had "Star Wars: The Phantom Menance" for the PC. Is that the third person game where the second level is you going through the swamps and the Gungan city is a big maze or corridors?

"Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure" was fun. I don't think I finished it as I seem to remember one of the later levels being really difficult. The music is pretty neat and I remember there being a hidden secret that sent you back to the original Pitfall. Had that for PC as well.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2015, 09:36:21 pm »

God yes, that game was bad but I liked it.  It took me forever to even beat the first level cause I was a kid and I got distracted by the joys of getting Obi Wan to fall into the giant fan.  I distinctly remember his heart being one of the pieces that survives. 

The first level is the trade ship, then the swamps, then the Gungan palace which is mostly just running around in a maze, then I think the city.
Shoes...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:12 pm »

Thief (4) wasn't bad.  Yeah it was different in a lot of ways, but that's what happens as technology advances.  And it succeeded at being spooky as hell in certain parts.
I also really liked Thief (3): Deadly Shadows, which was pretty much exactly the same to a lesser degree.  Major graphics upgrades, and open world, combined with removing some tools and adding others.  Damn straight they feel different, they *are* different, but I felt they stayed reasonably close to the setting.

I do hate that they called it Thief instead of Thief 4 though.

It's bad in terms of being a Thief game, i.e. an open sprawling game where the player is free to take whatever route they please, as long as they achieve the objective.
Where you are not assaulted with cutscenes or "cinematic moments", because you are playing a fragile and relatively weak person who is trying to go unseen and avoid all conflict. The guff of the development team to say "We want you to play as a thief, but we don't to force you to play as a thief." Did those blokes read the title of the damn game? If you are going to make a game, don't be a coward and half-ass it.

It's not a case of evolving a game into a new, better direction, it's an example of throwing out all the core concepts of an established franchise to chase after the playerbase for a different game (In this case, Dishonored.)
They didn't want to make a Thief game, they wanted to made a Dishonored game, but also wanted to cash in on the name of a venerated series. Not only that, but it uses the name of Garrett but takes the characterization in the exact opposite direction (I don't care that it's a "prequel".)
It's not a reboot if you show no respect to the franchise you are supposedly rebooting; if they wanted to make a stabby stealth game, they could have just created a new franchise, like what Dishonored did. Don't use a name if you aren't intending on using it properly.

TL;DR: Thi4f is the Tomb Raider 2013 of the series. Both are fine as what they are, which is clones of Dishonored and Uncharted, respectively, but a slap in the face to people who had the gall to expect that a game labeled as something would actually be that thing, instead of a relatively generic high budget rip-off of another popular franchise.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:46 pm »

I'm pretty sure it takes place after Thief 3, you have the mechanical eye from Thief 2...  right?

The levels are somewhat more linear, yeah, but there's still capacity for wandering.  Though to be honest I got sick of getting lost in sprawling doom-style maze levels in the 00's.  Guess I turned casual.  Besides, 3&4 let you actually explore the city freely and nick things from people in the street.  That was the big thing Thief 1&2 lacked.

Not denying that they took a lot of liberties, and the plot is about as related to Thief 1&2 as Half Life 2 is related to Half Life 1.  Make of that what you will   ???

Edit:  And if I understand, you're complaining that it allows stabby stealth?  Come on, Thief 1&2 were WAY easier if you let yourself stab the enemies.  You just had to play on a difficulty other than hard.  I found myself getting frustrated in Thief 2 and slashing the overtly evil mechanists until they ran away screaming.  Violence was the easiest option in the original Thief games, it was merely dishonorable.  Even a straight sword-fight with alerted guards wasn't that hard, if there were three or less.

Thief 4 actually makes brawling *harder*.  As did Thief 3 I think, since you only have that dagger if I recall correctly?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:19:33 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2015, 11:30:24 pm »

Sonic Riders.

I tried to beat that last level SO MANY TIMES but it's really borderline impossible.
oh gawds that last level. The curves in the track. THE CURVES.

Don't remember if there's difficulty levels in the game. I remember I eventually beat it but the problem wasn't the AI being cheating bastards or anything, I just kept falling off the level. 'course when I was playing it, I was like, 12? and pretty much only playing racing games on easy mode. gotta go fast, gotta get 1st place easy.

--------------
Now my contribution. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. All 3 games. Banjo-Kazooie-esque collectathon platformer with boomerangs and more furries anthromorphed animals. When I was a kid it was awesome. When I tried replaying the games for nostalgia's sake a few years back, the controls were awful, the overdone australian accents were grating, the controls were awful, the platforming was bleah because the controls were so awful and oversensitive, and did I mention the controls were kinda lousy? Still have the games though somewhere in my closet. Maybe I should try them again...I remember there were some sequences with mech combat that were cool.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2015, 11:35:36 pm »

"Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure" was fun. I don't think I finished it as I seem to remember one of the later levels being really difficult. The music is pretty neat and I remember there being a hidden secret that sent you back to the original Pitfall. Had that for PC as well.

Damn, thanks for the soundtrack link.  It may just be nostalgia, but this OST strikes a chord with me.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2015, 01:42:13 am »

Sonic Riders.

I tried to beat that last level SO MANY TIMES but it's really borderline impossible.
oh gawds that last level. The curves in the track. THE CURVES.

Don't remember if there's difficulty levels in the game. I remember I eventually beat it but the problem wasn't the AI being cheating bastards or anything, I just kept falling off the level. 'course when I was playing it, I was like, 12? and pretty much only playing racing games on easy mode. gotta go fast, gotta get 1st place easy.

--------------
Now my contribution. Ty the Tasmanian Tiger. All 3 games. Banjo-Kazooie-esque collectathon platformer with boomerangs and more furries anthromorphed animals. When I was a kid it was awesome. When I tried replaying the games for nostalgia's sake a few years back, the controls were awful, the overdone australian accents were grating, the controls were awful, the platforming was bleah because the controls were so awful and oversensitive, and did I mention the controls were kinda lousy? Still have the games though somewhere in my closet. Maybe I should try them again...I remember there were some sequences with mech combat that were cool.
According to TVTropes, one mistake on the last level ment that you're better off restarting, apparently. I also never figured out how to use the shortcuts :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2015, 02:50:28 am »

Binary Domain
BD was a horrible piece of junk. So much illusion of choice, and the twist at the end is awful and predictable. I freaking love the robots in that game though, the lore and stuff is all pretty great, it's just the actual gameplay and main plot I have problems with.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2015, 11:11:10 am »

God yes, that game was bad but I liked it.  It took me forever to even beat the first level cause I was a kid and I got distracted by the joys of getting Obi Wan to fall into the giant fan.  I distinctly remember his heart being one of the pieces that survives. 

The first level is the trade ship, then the swamps, then the Gungan palace which is mostly just running around in a maze, then I think the city.
Yep, After the city is Tatooine city, fallowed by Tatooine Arena. That place is filled with a crazy number of sidequests and secrets.
There is a dungworm merchant, and if you step on the worms EVERYONE will start commenting that you smell bad. Also there is a bunch of jawas hiding in a false wall, I still don't know how, but there is a way to trigger it so you get gunned down by jawa gangsters with a chaingun.

After Tatooine there is Coruscent where you spend most of your time threatening npcs for taxi tickets while you try not to get mugged. It turns into a sewer level halfway through.
Finally the game ends with the counter attack on naboo, which is really quite cool.

.... now that I think about it It really wasn't a bad game. I wish more movie tie in's were like that.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2015, 12:57:32 pm »

Sonic Riders.
[snip]
[snip]
According to TVTropes, one mistake on the last level ment that you're better off restarting, apparently. I also never figured out how to use the shortcuts :P
I vaguely remember having a hard time with that last level, not so much not keeping up, as much as not knowing how to hit the boss.  I almost exclusively used speed chars though, (Sonic, then Shadow once he was unlocked) and IIRC the speed shortcuts always seemed a lot easier than the flying and power character shortcuts. 

The flying shortcuts seemed to be the most obtuse to figure out, Just take some random ramp and hope there's some flying rings above and if you made a single mistake during the shortcut off the track you go.  And the power shortcuts seem really easy, just smash through a wall, but the shortcut is always full of those walls so you can't actually see where you are going so you are completely blind the whole time and they were perfectly happy to stick some curves in those shortcuts.  The speed ones were just do a bunny hop onto a rail and hold a button.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2015, 02:19:40 pm »

Personally, I liked Fallout: Tactics even though mentioning that in a "real" Fallout fan group is grounds for summary execution. The plot was kinda dumb, but it was worth overlooking for a SPECIAL system squad-based tactic-em-up.

I'm with you on that. It had a lot of flaws, but the tactical combat system was a blast and I've gone back to the game a few times now just for that.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10