Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: What is the -worst- game you like?  (Read 14606 times)

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
What is the -worst- game you like?
« on: March 24, 2015, 06:03:34 am »

Anybody can name their favorite games, but when they do so they usually talk about games that it's also okay to like. Bay12, I want to know: what is that game, the one you know deep down is just awful, but you love it anyway? Is it so bad it's good, or do you legitimately not understand how others can dislike it? Is it terrible voice acting, an inexplicable story, constant glitches, or something else?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the -worst- game you like?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 06:11:40 am »

Spore.

I had no knowledge of the game before playing it, so I kinda enjoyed it. After reading a year old news about it and the way it was advertised, I understood the rage. It was still a good game nonetheless. The only stage worth playing was the space stage though. Creature stage was OK. All others kinda sucked.

Awesome avatar btw.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 06:14:10 am by Leatra »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:55:19 am »

Bug Riders. Thought the game was okay and the lore was pretty neat; apparently others were not so kind. It was a 3D racing game riding giant flying bugs on the Playstation, so the ways it could go south are probably pretty clear. It felt like they crammed a fair amount of world/character description into the game's manual, though, made somewhat more interesting by the fact that most racers were royals in charge of a specific province. One was highly skilled but completely arrogant, for instance, so the king shoved him into the useless desert province to teach him humility, whereupon he immediately turned it into a thriving pirate city and learned absolutely nothing. I think another was given an already-thriving area to teach compassion which also failed, and so on.

I don't think it was ever actually considered bad by numbers so much as by volume, but I did play Morrowind, then play and prefer Oblivion. Most of the legitimate criticisms (less interesting via more familiar world, hampered spell/enchant/alchemy shenanigans) struck me as understandable choices or necessary sacrifices, and a lot of the more subjective things (dungeon layouts) I either preferred or didn't really mind. And, of course, the game was just technically and mechanically better, having benefited from technological improvements and the possibilities that came with it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:37:29 am »

Master of Orion 3.

I have evangelized about this game on here a few times, and even done a fairly short LP of it.

Yes, it was not MoO 1 nor 2. But it was never meant to be.

Yes, it was released horribly broken and unfinished. But fixed (and fixed it was, but by the community, not devs) it is a beautiful game.

When fixed, I have never played a 4x that comes as close to an empire building and management sandbox with so many levels of direct control that can be set to auto-run as you want it to be. It is a travesty that is was released in such a state as to kill the franchise and do such dramatic harm to the genre. Yet I love it for what it can be.
This is a blank sig.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 07:52:30 am »

Magic the Gathering (cards)

It's not Bad, but aww so expensive.

As for PC;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 08:01:48 am »

For a while, there was a licensed Robocop game on Google Play to tie in with the new film. It was a Skinner box cash-grab type of thing, but it promised new enemies and locations all the way until the end of game. This was not a trivial game, by the way; without paying any real-world money, it could take days to get past a block of missions. It was kind of fun.

Another one since it took me so damn long to think of: the old video game adaptation of The Hobbit, from before Peter Jackson made it into three really dumb movies. For a shovelware Zelda clone it wasn't that bad, and the GBA version had some really catchy music.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 08:13:41 am »

Hm, I enjoy "Total Annihilation: Kingdoms". It's got weird unfitting voices for the units, the gameplay is quite slow, animations are stiff and strategy is little more then "spam heaps of a good all rounder" but I enjoy the music (as steady and samey as it is), the factions are interesting and varied and the campaign is interesting in its "swap from one faction to another in a chronological plot that can end with missions destroying the base you set up in the last one".

It's also got small mechanics that are barely mentioned anywhere. Like resurrecting units (back to life as Aramon, ghouls as Taros, Automatons as Creon) the ranking up of units with kills so they gain speed, attack power and the like. Also how some units have area attacks since they swing a halberd or flail. There's also height on the map so units who have arcing ranged attacks are able to fire over hills and walls.

One other neat thing is the dragons. They take ages to build and when they're finished they're really weak. What follows is a careful game of gaining kills on the dragon until it ranks up to gold level (I think about 150 kills for the Black Dragon) whereupon they become capable of casting huge blasts of magic over and over again and gain a lot more health.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 10:19:51 am »

Birthright. I am [and many others I guess] still waiting for a well polished, fixed remake. It had so much potential, even tho I've played it 5-6 years ago for the first time, and it was released in 1997. [Sovereignty is inspired by it, which is supposed to be released in months, so let's hope that the devs won't fail!]
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:44:35 pm by gimli »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 10:42:41 am »

All games I like are awesome!  >:(  :P

Maybe some people would count these though, either as bad ports, bad press or just plain wonky gameplay:

Space Trader: Merchant Marine
Cargo!  The quest for Gravity
E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy
Alpha Protocol
Bulletstorm
Binary Domain
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:46:01 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 11:13:02 am »

Pfff, EYE, Alpha Protocol, and Bulletstorm were all awesome. Anyone who says otherwise is objectively wrong and that's all there is to it.

Personally, I liked Fallout: Tactics even though mentioning that in a "real" Fallout fan group is grounds for summary execution. The plot was kinda dumb, but it was worth overlooking for a SPECIAL system squad-based tactic-em-up.

I also remember being fond of Hexen 2, despite being terrible at it. Looking back, it wa a perfect example of 3D polygons were a huge downgrade from sprites, and the reception was lukewarm at best, but some of the architecture was impressive regardless.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

bQt31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:36:16 pm »

all games starting with sim or ending with tycoon, minus the few good ones

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 02:43:15 pm »

Artifact. I know it's bad, but I can't stop think about how much potential it's got.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 02:49:26 pm »

all games starting with sim or ending with tycoon, minus the few good ones
SimLife, in the sense that I liked it.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2015, 05:05:39 pm »

Hm. Well, a lot of people don't like Oblivion compared to Skyrim...but I like it a lot more

A lot of people don't like Fallout 3 compared to New Vegas, but I thought NV sucked so much, I really really disliked it

I like Tibia and Runescape as far as MMOs go...and most think those two suck :P But Runescape and Tibia is still better than most MMOs lol.

And...those are main ones I can think of
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2015, 05:33:22 pm »

@Vendayn
Oblivion was better for me too, I only got halfway through Skyrim. Oblivion felt more personal, more involving, I don't know.
Pff, Fallout 3 was way better. Come on. People who prefer NV are casuals. It felt like a minigame compared to Fallout 3  :P
Tibia was the first game I played online. Terrible game in so many ways, yet forever loved.

To me, I kind of play Street Hacker every year, and stop because it gets so buggy, bad and shallow. Yet I really like the concept for such an old (2004) game, and something always draws me back.
This year might have been the last year I'll ever get back to it, though.

It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10