Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Heretics of Hexland 3 - Turn Based Colonisation Game - Year 3 - Summer  (Read 20538 times)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
Re: Heretics of Hexland 3 - Turn Based Colonisation Game - Year 2 - Summer
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2015, 07:24:17 pm »

AP3
Conquer Expand 112 - AP1 (I'm totally getting way too excited)
Raid 125 - AP2
Expand 129 - AP1
Expand 143 - AP0
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:27:59 pm by notquitethere »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2015, 08:06:52 pm »

"Conquer" is perhaps not the word you were looking for; seems to be a bit of a Freudian slip :P

Shenanigans on the East Coast aren't likely to affect me, so...

The summer sun beats down on Hexland. The long days and short nights made tough going for the Cobalt Warders last year, but with the groundwork laid the fields need little tending now. On the edges of the forest blue sparkles mark where ghostly presences manifest in the dark shade, and move deeper beneath the trees...

AP: 4

Expand 60 (AP:2)
Expand 75 (AP:0)

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2015, 10:30:55 pm »

Expand 23
Expand 36
Tower 23
Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2015, 06:54:30 am »

NQT, I did not expect you to raid me. I had the choice between farming on that hex, or using it as an improve action to fortfy a hex. I chose to risk it. I was planning to get enough land to get 12 pop cap, and to then use the coming harvest to reach that population. Now I am unable to achieve that goal.

(0) Co-Opt Ghosts
(2) Conquer 112
(2) Conquer 113

You have a problem now. During the fall harvest I will balloon to 10 population, and will have a border with you for the winter. You should plan your actions wisely, because if you share a border with me when my winter turn rolls around, you will be destroyed.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2015, 09:10:15 am »

Making some changes to my previously established turn.

Expand 77, 78, and 94

During the winter, I'll Irrigate 94 instead of Fortify 77, in the spring I'll grow on it, etc.

Cerapa, if you do that, you screw yourself; any time you conquer a tile of his, you lose 2 pop. And if you have more pop than him, he could very well be the one doing the conquering...

Side note: Best possible start in the game is Humans with Apostate, grabbing Co-Opt(and hoping Letterbeasta and Swine are in the game; later, you want Poults, and Parakeetkin, Ghosts, Ents, and Djinn will be useful at points throughout; I'd need to take a look at the wording to see about Beetleswarm) and Forage. You automatically go last for picking a start location, it's almost certain, but still. 6 Pop at the start of Year 2. Hrrrnnnnghh.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:19:00 am by Rolepgeek »
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:11 pm »

Nope, I have nothing to fear. Enslave cancels out his ability, and theres not much he can do with 3 pop. Counterattacking would use up all his actions, so he wouldn't even be able to raze it. The most he can do is take 1 pop from me.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 02, 2015, 01:23:24 pm »

Build City 43
Build City 44
Forage 44
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2015, 02:56:21 pm »

Nope, I have nothing to fear. Enslave cancels out his ability, and theres not much he can do with 3 pop. Counterattacking would use up all his actions, so he wouldn't even be able to raze it. The most he can do is take 1 pop from me.

You may want to specify if you're using Enslave; yes, I know they cost the same due to Mabbling Mooks power, but since initiative is based on population you have the flexibility to raise/lower by choosing your action carefully.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2015, 03:28:35 pm »

You may want to specify if you're using Enslave; yes, I know they cost the same due to Mabbling Mooks power, but since initiative is based on population you have the flexibility to raise/lower by choosing your action carefully.

Obviously I will specify when I use enslave vs conquest. If you're referring to the current turn, then I specifically constructed cities up to my cap for this exact scenario, meaning my conquests this turn will lose me no pop. I don't need to enslave this turn.

But that's a good point. However being in that scenario is already a lose condition I'm afraid. Since I am Apostate, I have no victory points from anything but conquest. I basically have to be twice as large as everyone else to have a chance of winning. It is important that I snowball, very, very hard. Which is why I'm annoyed at not getting the 12 pop this year.

There was also another thing I wanted to do. I basically did some thinking, and realized that if I had gotten 12 pop, and picked Sacrifice instead of enslave, I could have done something very silly. You see, Sacrifice give +2 action, while also taking an action for a total of 1 extra. A Mabbling Monked Sacrifice gives 2 actions at no cost. So year 3 summer I could have
12 regular actions + 22 Sacrifice actions(1 pop not sacrificed) = 34 actions.

Obviously the map wouldn't remain static for the third year, but with those actions, at the present map state, I could conquer the entire left side of the map. And that's without razing anything(even though sacrificing all the pops requires the destruction of current cities to reduce minpop, I didn't count the extra actions). It wouldn't be a full WC in a single season, but would be pretty damn close to one.

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't see the potential of Sacrifice, but I guess I'll have to play a slower game. Not to mention I doubt it would be very fun for everyone that got steamrolled.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 02, 2015, 06:05:09 pm »

Obviously I will specify when I use enslave vs conquest. If you're referring to the current turn, then I specifically constructed cities up to my cap for this exact scenario, meaning my conquests this turn will lose me no pop. I don't need to enslave this turn.

But that's a good point. However being in that scenario is already a lose condition I'm afraid. Since I am Apostate, I have no victory points from anything but conquest. I basically have to be twice as large as everyone else to have a chance of winning. It is important that I snowball, very, very hard. Which is why I'm annoyed at not getting the 12 pop this year.

There was also another thing I wanted to do. I basically did some thinking, and realized that if I had gotten 12 pop, and picked Sacrifice instead of enslave, I could have done something very silly. You see, Sacrifice give +2 action, while also taking an action for a total of 1 extra. A Mabbling Monked Sacrifice gives 2 actions at no cost. So year 3 summer I could have
12 regular actions + 22 Sacrifice actions(1 pop not sacrificed) = 34 actions.

Obviously the map wouldn't remain static for the third year, but with those actions, at the present map state, I could conquer the entire left side of the map. And that's without razing anything(even though sacrificing all the pops requires the destruction of current cities to reduce minpop, I didn't count the extra actions). It wouldn't be a full WC in a single season, but would be pretty damn close to one.

I'm a bit miffed that I didn't see the potential of Sacrifice, but I guess I'll have to play a slower game. Not to mention I doubt it would be very fun for everyone that got steamrolled.

Oh derp, I was thinking "oh noes 4 pop 3 cities" which is obviously incorrect.

And hey, if that's how I went out I'd be laughing pretty hard. Besides, with that kind of advantage you'd be mopping up pretty quickly, I think :P

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2015, 08:24:16 am »

Expand 48
Tower 48
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2015, 11:16:29 am »

So...

Is this gonna continue at some point? Was really enjoying it.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:16 am »

nqt was out of town for the weekend, so I expect we'll hear from him today.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2015, 06:13:07 pm »

Yep, big family stuff over the weekend. Normal service will resume very shortly!

EDIT: I'll update this evening GMT.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 05:13:44 am by notquitethere »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2015, 04:07:17 pm »

Urist
Build City 43
Build City 44
Forage 44

It's Summer. You can't use Improve actions like Build City in Summer (unless you're a Spider).

When that's sorted, I'm ready to roll over to the next season.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15