Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Thieves and Demons (SG) Open for Criticism.  (Read 9498 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Thieves and Demons (SG)
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2015, 04:10:03 pm »

Just go to a park and practice birding. If we can fly long distance we likely won't need a car.

There is some Merit to that, but I still think it would be good to have one anyway. If we are impersonating a human, and need to pick up or drop off goods, we can't just eat large inorganic objects in front of other people. Also, I'd rather get out of town, and get all our flying pratice, monster and bird, taken care of in one post.

Buy an SUV. We have money to deal with its gas guzzling tendencies. Get out of town and practice both bird and monster flying until you get it all down pat. It it takes more than a few days, let the Warlock check in with his crew at a payphone or something every couple. On that note, if Obediah Lancaster insists on keeping a separate brain, we can insist he put it to use; Get him brainstorming ideas on how to Align With, Vassalize, and/or Destroy the Nightcrawlers and the Mastiffs while we practice flying.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2015, 04:38:36 pm »

Just go to a park and practice birding. If we can fly long distance we likely won't need a car.

There is some Merit to that, but I still think it would be good to have one anyway. If we are impersonating a human, and need to pick up or drop off goods, we can't just eat large inorganic objects in front of other people. Also, I'd rather get out of town, and get all our flying pratice, monster and bird, taken care of in one post.

Buy an SUV. We have money to deal with its gas guzzling tendencies. Get out of town and practice both bird and monster flying until you get it all down pat. It it takes more than a few days, let the Warlock check in with his crew at a payphone or something every couple. On that note, if Obediah Lancaster insists on keeping a separate brain, we can insist he put it to use; Get him brainstorming ideas on how to Align With, Vassalize, and/or Destroy the Nightcrawlers and the Mastiffs while we practice flying.
+1

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2015, 09:37:30 pm »

Returning to one of the ad's you bookmarked, you send a message to the poster expressing your interest, and soon afterwards receive confirmation that the vehicle is available, a blue S.U.V, about six years old, chipped paint but with parts in good condition. You immediately leave to go pick it up using the monthly transit pass of one of the schoolchildren now part of you. Between all of these people you find that your knowledge of the local transit system is *quite* extensive, and you manage to accurately determine the ideal route, arriving at your destination twenty minutes later. You are greeted by a middle-aged man who rather unnecessarily explains that as his children are growing up he no longer needs the spacious vehicle, which can seat as many as seven people under somewhat cramped conditions, or five with quite a bit of cargo space. It's easy for you to meet the asking price of eight and a half thousand, and you don't bother haggling with the man, as you're eager to get away from the stink of his kindness.
It's likely that sort of aversion will abate over time, but for now that weakness fills you with revulsion. You are a creature of envy after all. 

You don't bother wasting any more time, and you leave town as soon as you have managed to get a full tank of gas. The experience of your hosts is useful in navigating the roads and making your way to the freeway, and once you are there you make good time, passing by the smaller cities and towns that feed off of Dark-Gate like urban parasites.

It takes some time and quite a bit of searching down lonely dirt roads before you find a place where you are confident you won't be observed. You spend some time consuming what birds and bats you can find, until you are confident in your reserves of flesh. You practice the variety of local birds, and bats too, learning of the intricate differences between their forms. You suffer dozens of injuries, mostly meaningless to you when you can simply replace and repair lost or torn tissue. The various designs of nature do teach you much about the mechanics of flight however, each flying creature masters it's own unique technique, dependant upon the body it bears. It is these subtle differences, rather than the abilities of any one bird, that give you the tools you require to begin to design and practice your own variations. Once you have become passable with each natural form, you slowly scale into the unnatural, creating larger and larger forms for you to practice with. You quickly reach the limit of size that you can currently manage with birdlike forms however, much larger than an eagle and you would need a greater supply of birdlike material than is feasible to acquire under these conditions. Batlike flight however, is much easier to scale for, human flesh is not so different than the skin of a bat, and so delving into that reserve makes larger and larger batlike designs feasible. Soon, you are passable in the flight of great human-sized bat-creatures, large enough that you can use the rending of claws and teeth to great effect in disembowling and other acts of maiming, and proficient at flying as smaller creatures, though perhaps not as proficient as those born to the bodies you copy. You could probably manage larger too, though your skills at flight will diminish rapidly the larger you choose to become. At least without more practice.

You lack the flying instincts to learn these things in the usual way, so all told, when you have reached this level of skill it's been about ten days. During which you have entertained Obadiah Lancaster's requests for contact with his underlings. You still have his cell-phone, and you've purchased a charger that can be used to resupply it's power within your vehicle. Sometimes you've needed to drive around a bit to reach good reception, but this isn't quite in the middle of nowhere, so it's a small enough matter.

The Warlock has been having his people shake down local businesses, mostly to give them something to do so that they don't grow too antsy. He's also been attempting to have them acquire weapons, and they've met with some limited success due to the Crimson's stranglehold on most of the underground weapons supply, though the Triad has been willing to sell to them. Any day now he expects that a representative of the Crimson will show up to offer them a position as a cell of their organization, thinking him dead (he IS dead, but you decide to let that pass for now). Obediah also freely offers his advice on both of the organizations you've set him thinking about.

"Well, the mastiffs are probably the easiest to deal with, as they behave pretty predictably as criminal organizations go. If we can show them we're powerful, reliable and can make them money there's a good chance they'd be willing to back us. Just as long as they think we're the winning team of course. If we decide they are too much trouble fighting them would be pretty straightforward too, though not necessarily easy. All we'd really have to do is wipe out their leadership. The Nightcrawlers are a little trickier, we might be able to do what the Crimson does and just slyly point them in the direction of monsters and people we don't like, but until we're too strong for them to oppose they will probably see us as an enemy if we approach them outright, unless we manage to convince them we are "the good guys.". Destroying them might be tricky too. Mostly they are just punks and wannabe heroes, but i've heard they've got some competent sorcerers and old-world creatures among them, which might explain why the Crimson hasn't just wiped them out."

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2015, 06:15:15 am »

On unrelated note, maybe you should summon lesser demons and eat them. That way you might get back your infernal powersource. Maybe.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2015, 09:06:01 am »

On unrelated note, maybe you should summon lesser demons and eat them. That way you might get back your infernal powersource. Maybe.

That's... possible, though currently we lack the means to summon another demon, even willingly. Allow me to clear up some potential misconceptions you have have about the danger of such an action however. Demon's are creatures that consist of more than just the mass of physical form, and which possess access to a nearly limitless source of energy on their home plane. Even a "lesser" demon is really just more stupid, more uncreative, and more a slave to their base nature, but still a font of power you could think of as "incredible". It is unlikely we will acquire the means to banish a being in hell to this world, so that leaves us only with the possibility for a mutually consensual calling to bring such a creature onto the mortal plane. If we do so the demon we summon will likely bring as much power as they can squeeze through with them, and while that would give us the opportunity to feed on the energy if we were victorious in combat... it would also mean directly antagonizing a creature that can destroy us outright. Game Over. No Restart. Basically, that would be a really stupid move.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2015, 11:00:40 am »

Well can we set up a hellmouth or something? Get a direct line to the powa we crave?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2015, 11:12:02 am »

Well can we set up a hellmouth or something? Get a direct line to the powa we crave?

That's an intriguing thought. A sort of... screen window into the beyond. It would require large amounts of power in itself, but if a stable sinkhole could be opened into hell the investment might be well worth the return. There would only be the matter of acquiring the raw energy and works of skilled magic to accomplish, something that could be accomplished by alliance with demons or other powers for the raw power and powerful human warlocks or old world creatures for the skill in shaping that power.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2015, 01:52:53 pm »

So we need a source of power and magic to gain a source of power and magic? Sounds just redundant enough to be !!SCIENCE!! So what do we know about such things?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2015, 02:10:12 pm »

So we need a source of power and magic to gain a source of power and magic? Sounds just redundant enough to be !!SCIENCE!! So what do we know about such things?

Havn't you ever heard the expression "one must spend money to become richer"? Yes it would require a vast amount of resources, but compare that to a steady supply of incredible power with which we could use to eventually become a higher power in and of ourselves. I suppose the first step would be the acquisition of mundane mortal resources, and a shoring up of our position. We are in a position of weakness for now, and what we need are the resources to become strong. Money, magical artifacts, useful property, weapons, servants, we will need all of these things, and we will need also to demonstrate our might and power once we have these things. At least that's how i think on the issue. Do any of you have thoughts as to our next step? Or shall i proceed without your guidance?

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2015, 02:31:27 pm »

No thoughts, Proceed

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2015, 02:34:41 pm »

Havn't you ever heard the expression "one must spend money to become richer"? Yes it would require a vast amount of resources, but compare that to a steady supply of incredible power with which we could use to eventually become a higher power in and of ourselves. I suppose the first step would be the acquisition of mundane mortal resources, and a shoring up of our position. We are in a position of weakness for now, and what we need are the resources to become strong. Money, magical artifacts, useful property, weapons, servants, we will need all of these things, and we will need also to demonstrate our might and power once we have these things. At least that's how i think on the issue. Do any of you have thoughts as to our next step? Or shall i proceed without your guidance?

OH OH!

corrupt the minds of innocent children!
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2015, 02:46:30 pm »

OH OH!

While i'm not averse to the creation of an efficient propaganda machine at some point in the future when we've carved a domain out of this rock at the moment i'm not really sure what the undying servitude of young dependants with few resources or skills would offer us in exchange for the effort. Humans are also highly protective of the weak mewling creatures known as children, so it may bring a disproportionate amount of human retribution upon us for even attempting.

What would we even use? Drugs? Magic? The lure of power? Those things can also lure competent followers with resources to call upon.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2015, 02:51:09 pm »

OH OH!

While i'm not averse to the creation of an efficient propaganda machine at some point in the future when we've carved a domain out of this rock at the moment i'm not really sure what the undying servitude of young dependants with few resources or skills would offer us in exchange for the effort. Humans are also highly protective of the weak mewling creatures known as children, so it may bring a disproportionate amount of human retribution upon us for even attempting.

What would we even use? Drugs? Magic? The lure of power? Those things can also lure competent followers with resources to call upon.

well it worked well in demonhood....of course a forum game might not have the same rules as our...interesting situation.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2015, 03:49:03 pm »

Is our only source of magical knowledge the warlock? Like do we do magic or did we just brute force our way through stuff? Or is that what magic is?

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2015, 04:33:23 pm »

Wait. How fast can we deposit/withdraw flesh? I may have an idea.
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9