Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?  (Read 6701 times)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 11:04:02 pm »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally what. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

I find it impossible to believe as well. My hospital is usually just a corner of the dining hall, a pair of beds, a table and chair, a cupboard and a chest, nothing much to it, but it's always there. Then when the brewer isn't busy brewing, he's busy healing. I can even give him a bedroom that opens onto the hospital/dining area, minutes into the game. End of problem.

.....I've also never successfully dealt with aquifers before.

Oooh! Do try them! They are so much Fun fun fun!
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2015, 02:35:49 am »

Aquifers are excellent things. They take up a lot of dwarf labour for the first while, but they take up so much less than digging out a secure cistern and securing a safe water source for it. Also, you don't even have to set beds aside for a hospital. Just designate your communal dormitory as a hospital and dwarves will use it both as a dorm and as a hospital. They'll take cloth and crutches from wherever to patch up patients. That's usually my solution.

As to this thread: elaborate traps. I've never set up a drowning chamber, magma chamber, dodge-me bridge, atom-smasher trap, percussion corridor, ballista killzone, obsidianizer, minecart shotgun, minecart water cannon, minecart magma cannon, or any other of those cool things. Also obsidian casters.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2015, 03:18:27 am »

1) Minecart track
2) Siege machine. I build them, but I have never used them to kill anything.
3) Magma piston
4) Windmill
5) Waterwheel
6) Pump stack
7) Glaze
8| Crystal glass
9) Catch vermins

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2015, 04:45:29 am »

The only time I dealt with aquifers was in an evil swamp. That was the only time I had to construct a shelter for safety, because I couldn't get more than 2 zlevels deep. Beak dogs and tantrum spirals got me before I could get through it.

Oh, the whole pottery industry is something I haven't tried. It doesn't sound appealing or worth the wood, but if it's what I was stuck with using, I'd have to make the most of it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2015, 06:19:56 am »

I've never specifically trained war animals.

I've never actually seen a non-disappointing FB attack, it's always "the dreadful pile of snow and goop has arrived, beware it's poisonous bite" followed shortly by me discovering a crundle kicked it in the head and it fell apart. The only really nasty one I ever had was stopped before it got into the fort by an engraver/miner hero named Atir Cobaltthrows, who took it down and then rotted to death and only got found shortly beforehand because of all the miasma in the wagon tunnel.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:12 am »

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.
I could ask how you get your dwarves beaten up so much in the first few months (or even first year or so).

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2015, 09:52:48 am »

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

Oh I build a hospital. I again also turn off all non-medical labours on my medical team, with a few dwarves having nothing but feed wounded and carry wounded enabled. Medical dwarves' housing is also built below in their own little neighbourhood, and there are offices just off the main hospital.

I also "buy" large amounts of cloth and thread from the elves, and make splints and crutches. The only thing I haven't ever done was embark where there's gypsum for plaster. Every dwarf that is injured in my fort dies. Often as not before ever seeing the nice hospital I built, which includes statues and a nice constructed floor with a design.

I just realized I also have never breached an aquifer without losing entirely too many dwarves to survive.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2015, 09:58:49 am »

Productive beekeeping. I haven't found a reasonable way to deal with honey bee royal jelly.

When I have a hospital, healthy dwarves will sleep there! Then I put enough beds there, making the hospital an actual dormitory.

By the way, if you're looking for shallow magma, you should settle within a few tiles from mountain, but avoid sea shore. If you settle near volcano, you have more chance to find magma tube near surface.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2015, 10:14:09 am »

I've never settled the 2nd and 3rd cavern layers. The places that I find everything I need in the early game are where I settle, and by the time I see lower cavern layers, I'm already too invested in surface and/or first layer. This embark I even specifically dug to open all cavern layers and magma from the beginning, but didn't find anything except the magma sea. By the time I did open caverns, it didn't make much sense to expand to the 1st much less the lower ones.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2015, 11:20:33 am »

I'm making non-green glass for the first time in the hopes that my glassmakers will mood and use some of the glass I've gotten from dead caravans.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:00 pm »

Beekeeping, 'candy' industry, personal workshops, traps (besides cages,) elaborate traps, obsidian casting, and waterfalls. I embark on volcanoes to avoid dealing with pump stacks.

I always get bogged down in making my fort look nice (smoothing tiles / replacing dirt with blocks) and waiting for the caravan to bring more steel, flux, and iron for my military. I don't multitask well. Then boredom and FPS death strikes.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2015, 11:44:59 am »

I've not successfully make my mini-projects work together in a single fortress. 

Bridge/Cage trap tunnel ->
Maze dodge traps ->
Overlooked by fortifications with marskdwarves ->
magma mist entry chamber ->
Grand entry foyer / military training hall ->
grand dinning room with view of sparring ->
mist generator over grand dining room ->
marskdwarf wing overlooking outside / maze with adjacent archery training, and QSP ammo pile.

Other projects I have yet to do:
1. Dwarven Child Care zone
2. Armored Civilian Uniform System
3. Steel Masterwork Armor and Weapon QSP system
4. Candy Production System
5. Magma Minecart Transport System
6. Any Weaponized Minecart System
7. Justice System using Prisoner 3-story Condo Therapy

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2015, 12:07:40 pm »

Serious use of siege weapons. Uses lots of wood and wood is an important resource in my fort.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2015, 05:07:41 pm »

Wooo!  Just opened a hospital in my new fortress... good thing too, one of our woodcutters had a tree felling accident shortly after and required some surgery.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Number7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2015, 05:17:32 pm »

I'm quite a lame player myself.

1) never done a magma piston or pump stack
2) never gotten to HFS
3) never captured a live GCS (or even seen one)
4) never gotten to cavern level 3 or the magma sea
5) never used magma forges
6) never embarked near a volcano
7) never embarked to a glacier
8) never used elaborate trap systems

you might ask what ive been doing. well most of my game time was logged with the fortress defense mod just fighting off invasions until i died in no traps military forts.

Before i shame the dwarf name too much, i massacre elf traders every time they step inside my depot
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5