Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?  (Read 6697 times)

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2015, 11:49:35 am »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

Stuff that kills most of my dwarves are deadly with or without hospitals. Hospitals are for the very lucky survivors. Hospitals are of limited value for me. The length of time it takes for dwarves to haul wounded there, then the time it takes for a doctor to actually make a diagnosis and do something about it - days. The dwarf is usually going to die before that; the hospital seems to make recovery faster, but that's about it.

Two things is worth noticing about hospitals after priority updated. First, lightly wounded (or "syndromized") dwarves, if they can walk, will walk on their own to the hospital, and only fall into unconsciousness once on bed. Second, diagnosis seems to be a very top priority job now. At least that's my experience. Still, dwarves don't need hospital zone for treatment, technically, so it is possible to stay without it.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »

I've never been to the circus, not even a peep into the tent.
One peep is all you need to lose a fortress to demons... xD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2015, 03:44:47 pm »

I've never been to the circus, not even a peep into the tent.
One peep is all you need to lose a fortress to demons... xD

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The horror o_o
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 04:53:01 pm »

I've never settled the 2nd and 3rd cavern layers. The places that I find everything I need in the early game are where I settle, and by the time I see lower cavern layers, I'm already too invested in surface and/or first layer. This embark I even specifically dug to open all cavern layers and magma from the beginning, but didn't find anything except the magma sea. By the time I did open caverns, it didn't make much sense to expand to the 1st much less the lower ones.

This next fort i'm starting i'm deliberately going to settle on the cavern levels so i can be closer to the magma sea and get actual magma forges going. I've never succesfully built a magma piston(i dont quite understand the steps to its construction, do you channel the sides down a long shaft, build bridges/hatches around the level you'll make it drop to, build a support on the side with a floor attaching to the piston, and then channel the roof away above the piston?)  and a magma pump stack is FAR too much work for me.

Going to take multiple military dwarves in case of GCS fun... Do GCS appear on all cavern levels or just the third one?

Why kill such a wonderful creature when you can catch it and breed them ? Or just use it as an execution device/silk farm.

Chaoseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Chaoseed Software
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:11 am »

HFS.

I only did it once, back in 40d...spirits of fire, ouch. I killed them all, but then my fort was filled with smoke and corpses (and smoking corpses)...

Surprisepalace! Overseers wanted!
But they never would have given up either. And compared to sitting around in this prison for the rest of my life? Losing is fun.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2015, 01:30:18 am »

its really interesting to see how people treat different elements. i think i've done most things in df...although i will admit i've never built AND activated a self destruct system, and on the same note i've never flooded the surface with magma...on purpose.

as to hospitals. i usually have a dorm setup with a hospital off to the side in what will eventually become my great hall/ meeting hall. with wildlife fighting each other now i rarely find anything dangerous alive, and if im using a cavern then first priority is to wall it up (with carefully controlled entry points of course)

oooo i've never successfully colonized the circus either.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2015, 10:38:49 am »

=====
deleted
=====
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 10:42:04 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 24, 2015, 11:11:04 am »

Why kill such a wonderful creature when you can catch it and breed them ? Or just use it as an execution device/silk farm.

Wait, wait. Can you breed them without modding? I used to think there was something weird about eggs not hatching or something. Does it work now?

On topic, I've never:
- had success messing with power, pump stacks, HFS, soap, bees, minecarts, candy, magma pistons, pottery, draining aquifers... I have tried each one of those things, but always failed miserably.
- built an actual above-ground fort, every time I tried it ended up going underground anyways.
- tried one of those absurdly-convoluted traps people do. Dodging bridges at most, and it never actually achieved making creatures dodge.
- Worst of all: I've never been one of those courageous individuals that deny using melting exploits, danger rooms, impossibly expensive spiked balls or meals and such.
The shame!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 24, 2015, 12:05:05 pm »

Wait, wait. Can you breed them without modding? I used to think there was something weird about eggs not hatching or something. Does it work now?

GCS breed now without modding since 0.40.09 or 0.40.08, or something. So do most creatures.

Also gcs don't lay eggs. They just give live birth.

GreyPowerVan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2015, 08:42:00 pm »

Using pumps or power for literally anything.  I never figured out how power works, it would be great if someone could help me.

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »

To my eternal shame, I tend to get bored of all of my megaprojects before I finish them.

Right now I'm building my first ever pump stack to get water to my surface moat...but sadly it feels pointless, because I just realised there aren't even any Goblin Civs near me at this embark location >_<

I decided to build a giant smooth stone pyramid for my Nobles to live in (and to make those Elves and Humans green with envy), but that also seems to be taking ages and doesn't even look very impressive so far :\

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:45 pm »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

Quite easily if your overriding goal is to turtle behind a crap ton of traps.   Frequently by the time the 3rd migrant wave rolls around I've goten things setup to seal the fortress off at a moments notice with at least the start of a trap coridor.   If you never sally forth to fight invaders and keep the caverns nice and sealed off when your not actively gathering something from them there are not that many way's for dwarves to get injured outside of operator error (oh gravity and minecarts, thou art cruel mistresses)   I've had forts go for 10-20 years without any major injuries that required a hospital.  Thats not to say there were no major injuries at all but they tended to fall in the near instant lethality range.   Not much a hospital can do for a hauler that got decapitated in an ambush or one that got run over by a minecart and pushed down the dropshaft to the magma forges.  That cave croc didnt leave much of that fisher to stitch togeather either.

I usualy slap a hospital zone over a bed or two, usualy the ones from the initial dorms once I upgrade to individual rooms just so any injuries go somewhere I can find but I dont normaly bother seting up dedicated staff or supplies till I start on major military training.   I just turn on the doctor skills for some idlers if I spot an injury that needs attention, other times I they recover on their own before I notice.

Ah this is so boring though! I don't understand the use of cage traps in this game, they are incredibly OP. I only use cage traps at the edges of maps to catch random wildlife, and I just dismantled my drawbridge, because legendary military dwarves are so easy to come by nowadays.

Also your typos are off the chain man.

smithist

• Bay Watcher
  • ~freakish wriggling~
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2015, 11:53:06 pm »

eh, there are so many other things one could be doing though. I sometimes indulge in a trap defense because I'd just rather be worrying about something else.

On topic, I never use pump stacks because my computer can barely handle this game without them. Sadly this means I'm always limited to volcano embarks because I can never go back to non magma workshops. I also never build above ground to the extent that I'd like to.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2015, 02:20:50 am »

Magma pump stacks take tons of resources and kill your FPS.  Usually a track stp/end linked and set to "guide" works easy enough.  You have to flood the wheelbarrows in magma to fill them.  Set this station at the sea and have dorfs just top off a couple tiles with 4/7 magma.  It really doesnt take long!

Hospitals are rarely needed early unless you intentionally embark on !FUN! and/or aggressively exploit the caverns early on.  Even then, cage traps will snare anything dangerous for the first year.  I don't tend to set up the hospital until I get a proper, secured, and drainable cistern created.  This will be under the hospital for the clean water.  I bring lye with me to easily make soap.  The pack animals (and what hits my cage traps) become surgical thread.  I bring sheep for some cloth and then knock out splints/crutch/furniture to top off supplies.  This usually happnes right around 1 year.

I tend not to make proper militaries- the uniform interface in particular is a huge mess! I tend to be more of a trap-master.. but I go easy on the exploity cage traps (they are just a food source/safety net leading to caverns).  Gobbos are treated to pitfalls, drowning chambers, protected ballistae batteries down winding bridges... and being fed to "captured" FB's :)

I usually dont bother decorating things due to the micromanaging needed to control what gets blinged out. 

I rarely use more than one civ-alert burrow either.

Dushan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2015, 09:40:39 am »

I never make military, ive never played with magma, and Ive never made clothing.  So far haven't had any need for any of them.   I make myself secure and self suffecient.  Mostly spend my time digging and building things, no time for war, dwarfs seem happy enough without new cloths and ive never dug deep enough for magama.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5