Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?  (Read 6695 times)

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?

So, we all have things in dwarf fortress we tend to avoid, whether they be HFS/Candy or fooling around with mechanics, so whats something that you tend to either avoid or just never get around to doing in your forts?

Mine would probably be making a pump stack... So many times I have wanted lava closer to the surface, but every time either I get too lazy or something pops up (last time I got attacked by a FB when trying to make one) or sometimes annoying freaking caverns get in the way and I have to maneuver around them GAH!

Also hospitals tend to be scarce in my forts... I've only had one once.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Whats something that you never get around to doing in a fort?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 04:32:52 pm »

Hospitals and proper military.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 04:44:58 pm »

Really? I've usually got a hospital fully stocked with everything but soap before the first migrants arrive.

For me it's HFS. I'm going to conquer it in Bastiongate, but before now I've only used it to end boring forts.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 04:51:43 pm »

Hospital with working dwarves. While I always set up a medical team with no other jobs, including a couple whose jobs were solely to drag wounded in and feed/water them, most injuries resulted in a dwarf lying in a ditch or field, until the starve to death or die from their injuries. Or are eaten by a toad.

Working power plant. My forts usually die before getting one finished, be it by fps (rare) or being eaten by a toad.

Magma forges. I rarely manage to dig down to the magma sea, with the end result that the fort dies before I do. Usually be being eaten by a toad.

Steel production. I just never bother with it.

Candy production. All I find has been encased in magma.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 04:52:57 pm »

Never used minecarts for anything but quantum stockpiling. Never built a minecart shotgun or other trap, nor a minecart magma transport.

Never built a magma piston.

Never taken over HFS. Breached it, sure, even fought off the clowns, once. Never built a fort down there.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 04:57:31 pm »

Never used minecarts for anything but quantum stockpiles either.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 06:39:08 pm »

Oh, making sure everyone survives? I'll get to it after this siege...
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 06:39:39 pm »

Magma forges and a magma pump stack. Sometimes I get distracted by the caverns. Sometimes the caverns are too extensive and there's no way around them. Sometimes the surface is too exciting. Sometimes it's just too damn FAR DOWN for me to send dorfs all the way down there to do stuff with the magma.

Is there a way of making surface and magma a shorter distance apart? Other than living on a volcano, obviously.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 06:47:00 pm »

Magma forges and a magma pump stack. Sometimes I get distracted by the caverns. Sometimes the caverns are too extensive and there's no way around them. Sometimes the surface is too exciting. Sometimes it's just too damn FAR DOWN for me to send dorfs all the way down there to do stuff with the magma.

Is there a way of making surface and magma a shorter distance apart? Other than living on a volcano, obviously.

hmm there might be something in advanced world gen for that... never though about that though :o
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 06:51:39 pm »

hmm there might be something in advanced world gen for that... never though about that though :o
you can adjust the amount of z layer between surface, cavern layers and magma sea. so that would be an easy solution.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2015, 06:57:29 pm »

Never worked with magma.... please dont hit me.  :-[

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2015, 06:59:01 pm »

In most forts I don't start smelting until I have magma forges, since I usually embark places where wood is scarce. Everyone plays very differently from me.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2015, 07:05:35 pm »

I never tried a pocket dimension to start a fort in. I've never genned any world smaller than max size or less than 900 years of history.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2015, 07:23:19 pm »

>All these people don't build hospitals.

Literally wat. How do your forts survive? That is usually the first thing I build, before houses, before food production, hell before even a meeting hall. The only thing that comes before a hospital is the temporary carpenter's workshop.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2015, 08:12:37 pm »

I've never experimented with pump stacks, minecarts or anything to do with power. I've also never successfully dealt with aquifers before.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5