Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23292 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #225 on: March 14, 2015, 08:08:35 pm »

Sadly that wouldn't narrow it down. You're assuming every jerk ever doesn't lodge complaints just because they got found guilty. Also would you mind with the bold text removal please.

I thought you said it wasn't an issue and here you are kinda proving my point/giving me every reason to leave this place forever.

I mean really wtf man. Let's make the person who is scared more scared? really? What the hell did I ever do to you that you're digging up my past?

How about you stop please. I mean really your last two posts have been about putting me on blast and doing exactly what I am begging people not to do.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:14:05 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #226 on: March 14, 2015, 08:13:29 pm »

Paranoia isn't really the answer, though.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 14, 2015, 08:14:57 pm »

How sad, that's how most transgender people probably feel trying to pee in a public restroom. Do you get how fucked up what just happened is? Tried to warn / help people, got put on blast for it.

Somebody begs you not to quote them so you go searching through their history and comment about it? WTF? Why in the hell would you ever do that?

Message received loud and clear "Don't post or help anybody Truean."

I'm gone.

Thank you. WTF did I ever do to you? Answer, nothing bad.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:20:19 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 14, 2015, 08:20:10 pm »

Please don't leave. People are confused by your desire to want to be able to scrub anything, but they don't want you to leave...
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 14, 2015, 08:35:22 pm »

I second the "Please don't leave", if you're here to read this.

I can't help but feel this was kind of a poor choice of thread for people to pick this out as something to give Truean advice on in. That was very nearly a sentence, probably. I mean, maybe send her a PM if you doubt you'll get another chance for some reason (despite it coming up fairly routinely), but the suggestion/clarification/request dogpile is... rather on the nose, don't you think?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 14, 2015, 08:40:56 pm »

Times like this makes me happy I am extremely sheltered.

So the only time I see someone who is transgendered their issues either their parents at most and otherwise have a loving community to go to... and maybe two who had severe gender disphoria (One whose issue is that he/she was so barely another gender that it confused him/her and the other who just would switch powerfully on a day to day basis).

Well ok there was another person... but uhhh... that isn't for this topic.

I don't know if that makes me a bad person... but I really do appreciate having less experience with bad over looming issues.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 14, 2015, 09:35:53 pm »

O I'm just looking through my entire everything to sanitize as much as I can and might really just be leaving. If I do stay, new name is VERY likely.

Lovely, I try to warn people of the dangers of posting things online and somehow some guy has decided that's the perfect time to go dredging up my past and giving me advice. Magnificent. You prove a point with linked articles and somebody takes that as an invitation to sift through your past even though you're begging people not to. Jesus, thank you, really, wow. I'm never helping anybody ever again. Never did a damn thing to you man. WTF?

Get that stuff off your posts will you?

This is exactly what I'm talking about. NO FILTER.... [sigh].

And yes, Lawyers are human beings and they are allowed to complain exactly like everybody else and being put in some of the most stressful situations you can imagine sure as hell doesn't help. Ever been told it's your "ethical" duty to help somebody so completely beyond redemption who does absolutely horrible, violent things to innocent people and is only sad he hurt them instead of killed them? Yes I complained about the bastard. He tried to ruin me because he didn't get away with something the state had a mountain of evidence against him on. Screw it.

I linked that one because it stuck out in my memory and I could find it easily with a search, but you've got others too that I've seen.

WTF?  ??? "Hi please don't quote me" somehow translates into you dredging up my past and linking to it?

And that's the entire issue with transgender people. Even after you transition you're NEVER fully accepted as your transition sex. Somebody is ALWAYS going to think it's perfectly ok to just DREDGE up your past and remind you that you're not as good as a "Normal" person who was born a woman. They won't let you change your birth certificate. They won't let you adopt. They can discriminate against you in employment and housing and all sorts of other things. Now they're passing additional laws about peeing in a public restroom that will label you a criminal all the time. Lovely. Just fantastic. There's just no winning. Bad enough you're in internal misery from a medical condition and will never be seen as good enough, now this too? No no no, look at you trying to be a person with rights and a sense of security in who you are like everybody else.... That's cute, sorta. Don't. We know your not as good as everybody else....

You have to accommodate everybody but nobody's accommodating you, and how dare you ask that, because if you're trans then you're not ok. That's been the lesson my entire life that I've had shoved down my throat. From the nun who was my teacher trying to convince me to kill myself at age 7 when I told her (evidently I was an abomination to God and while I was certainly going to hell I should kill myself to avoid corrupting anybody else), to the priest who took it as an invitation to touch me inappropriately when the nun told him, the lesson I've been taught is "you're a freak and not good enough...." To the kids in high school who beat the fuck out of me right into an ER, to the therapist I came out to as "gay" and heard "You're such a nice boy, I'm so sorry I wish you weren't going to hell," and far worse it's all been a bunch of insensitive shit. My mistake for thinking I could at least be honest about who I am here online without that blowing up in my face.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:01:06 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #232 on: March 14, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »

something something most of us genuinely want the best for you something
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 14, 2015, 09:50:20 pm »

Sometimes you guys have a hard time showing it then.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 14, 2015, 10:04:36 pm »

something something most of us genuinely want the best for you something

Convincing and sincere!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 14, 2015, 10:17:29 pm »

Not even sure if this is a good idea to post, but, ugh. Feel the need to say a little, I guess? So...

... most people actually have been trying to interact with T as requested, GC. No quotes and corrections when slip-ups happen, attempts to understand, generally trying to keep things above board even when disagreeing or not understanding. There hasn't exactly been malice being expressed. Lack of understanding or agreement, difficulty with communication and/or comprehension, sure, definitely, but... if there's been anything beyond the rare exception that's been explicitly bad natured, it's a tonal difference I certainly haven't been able to detect, m'self. We haven't been seeing the actions of people that want to cause harm -- people that are, almost certainly, but the intent really hasn't been there.

In this particular discussion, the worst has probably been LB being LB and 4mask taking things further than should have been (and knowing when to drop or stop pushing a conversation is something not everyone is entirely practiced at, especially when they're dealing with the sort of outside context problem most people these days encounter when dealing with T's position on internet behavior). And having communication missteps equated to a viciously evil bigot telling people to kill themselves isn't exactly the most appropriate reaction either, even when it's entirely understandable why it seems that way from the person saying such.

S'just... I'unno. These last few pages have been painful to watch. Seems to be a number of people unintentionally saying hurtful things and being responded to in kind, neither side really realizing that's not what the other person is trying to do, and no one involved seemingly either able or willing to help folks avoid that. It hurts to see, y'know? I don't like seeing these kinds of blowups over what are more fundamentally communication troubles (on either or both ends) than anything else :(
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 14, 2015, 10:24:51 pm »

Sometimes you guys have a hard time showing it then.

It isn't my style.

I might prefer to be coddled, I am not putting it past me, but I generally treat people the way I am treated.

In this particular discussion, the worst *Continues to rag on people*

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Seriously?...

S'just... I'unno. These last few pages have been painful to watch.

I never understood this sort of need to sort of just declare entire threads terrible (yes I did it once >_> but for another reason), as if it helped the thread or added to the discussion.

It just adds to the uncomfortable mood of the thread. There must be better ways to get a thread back on track other then that.

I mean I am happy I am not on the piss list for once (since I honestly thought I would be), but then again... I don't like piss lists.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:32:06 pm by Neonivek »

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 14, 2015, 10:33:01 pm »

Everyone shut up. Shut. Up. Go back to discussing the issue of transgendered people and public restrooms.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 14, 2015, 10:43:26 pm »

It's fair to warn people about the dangers of posting things you'd rather not become public online, but avoiding quotes doesn't really mitigate the danger at all.  People can take screenshots or cache the page, the emphasis should really be on the fact that the internet doesn't forget what you've posted.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 14, 2015, 10:45:10 pm »

Sounds good, if I want to continue talking about Truean later I'll just PM her.  No need for it to be public.

I still say letting only cis and MtF women into certain bathrooms isn't a long-term solution, the real solution is unisex.  It's the only way to safeguard trans people who aren't masters of disguise, and be fair to genderfluid people, and also help people realize that this isn't even a big deal at all.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20