Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Transgender Bathrooms  (Read 23291 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transgender Bathrooms
« Reply #210 on: March 14, 2015, 07:22:28 pm »

Which is odd given that I use the internet as my way to sort of be honest and say things I'd never attempt to in real life.

But then again I am so socially awkward, hard to understand (even online), and insular that I need some method of expression.

*shrugs*

if you scrub what you say, I guess you can.  It makes sense from your position, as a lawyer and whatnot.  But my odds of someone twisting my posts to somehow provide evidence that I committed a crime or something are astronomically low, and without any presence as a public figure nobody should feel the need to try to "discredit" me, so there isn't actually anything to gain and quite a lot to lose by scrubbing my posts from existance.

Actually what I could do is find your name and then post about what a terrible person you are in real life.

It actually works and often doesn't count as purgery.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 14, 2015, 07:25:37 pm »

The transgender person is terrified of being outed because the chance of them being violently assaulted or killed if they are outed is FAR from small.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:22:31 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #212 on: March 14, 2015, 07:26:18 pm »

Have a bunch of disjointed thoughts, yah ninjas.

Quote from: Totally Not Truean
GLBT
Actual derail: Is there any difference between LGBT and GLBT, or do you just prefer using the acronym that is slightly harder to say?

Re: OMG THE NSA SEES UR INTENNET LIEF

It's staggeringly unlikely that any of us are going to be turned into soap or whatever you seem to think will happen because we posted something that could be taken out of context and make us sound kinda bad. It happens, but it doesn't happen often enough to warrant all two billion people on the web to suddenly become hyper-paranoid.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 14, 2015, 07:32:32 pm »

Orange Wizard: Fair enough, but in the context Neonevik was talking about men are far more likely to be problematic than women.

Truean: For one, I'd be forbidden to play mafia games, I wouldn't be able to participate in community and succession fortresses, etc.  Those are pretty big minuses in my opinion in exchange for avoiding an absolutely tiny possiblity of bad things.  And yes, I have to unfortuantely agree with you on the transgender part, but that's a society problem rather than an internet problem: someone can also be outed in meatspace by someone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 14, 2015, 07:34:28 pm »

Well because walking on egg shells is exhausting and you often would rather have some sort of outlet that you don't need to cover your tracks for.

I certainly have that for my deep dark secret :P
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:37:48 pm by Neonivek »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 14, 2015, 07:36:01 pm »

"Is it enough for you to grant one simple request?"

Well because walking on egg shells is exhausting and you often would rather have some sort of outlet that you don't need to cover your tracks for.

I certainly have that for my deep dark secret :P
(slated to be scrubbed)

Yeah, walking on eggshells is exhausting. Imagine how some poor transgender woman would feel about how many eggshells she'd have to walk on being forced to use the men's room.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:21:58 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 14, 2015, 07:38:54 pm »

Neonivek: Don't quote Truean, they've asked you not to quote them.

Truean: You could also just do what I do, which is not even link their post at all but address them directly (unless I'm on a computer where I can actually edit properly, in which case I'm more likely to quote so that I can do Tiruin-style bolding and underlining).

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 14, 2015, 07:42:26 pm »

I appreciate you thinking of me.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:20:47 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 14, 2015, 07:43:31 pm »

-wrong thread-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 07:46:32 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 14, 2015, 07:44:46 pm »

Hey Baffler, I think you may be in the wrong thread.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:21:05 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #220 on: March 14, 2015, 07:52:08 pm »

That was weird.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2015, 07:55:22 pm »

It's not hard to grant that simple request every time we want to reply to you, no.  It's a small favor I'm happy to perform, because I really don't want you to quit the forum.

But I don't appreciate how incredulous you are that people would dare ask for an explanation, though.  It's a bit insulting that your response to "Sure we'll avoid quoting you, but why does it matter?" is "Nobody understands that info on the net isn't private!"  I actually *do* understand that, which is why I'm confused that you care about being quoted.  Your plan to edit your posts has a lot of issues, in my opinion, but it's certainly not obvious.  So it's completely reasonable for people to ask why you don't want to be quoted.  It's not common knowledge, and nobody else is doing it, it's a really unusual thing which I hope works for your sake.

It's still reasonable to ask, which is why people keep asking, and you kinda owe an explanation for making a unilateral demand of everyone you converse with.  Or pragmatically, if you provide an explanation, people won't have to ask you anymore, and you won't have to get so exasperated and incredulous about it.

So please, just make the text a link to an explanation of some sort.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 14, 2015, 07:56:15 pm »

Here's the thing, Truean: I understand that it is hard, but why should anyone inflict something similar upon themselves.  In the case of LGBT stuff, there are real, almost 100% certain consequences to being outed/outing yourself, and there shouldn't be.  But in the case of this internet thing, I'd say 1/10 of a percent at most.  Also, your scrubbing isn't very effective, because I'm pretty sure posts like this  could still get you in trouble.  It's talking about a real life event, is conveniently timestamped by the forum, and has you making fun of someone who filed a complaint against you, which is almost certainly not proper conduct for a lawyer.  While it's not something that could legally be held against you, it could most certainly be used as, for instance, grounds to fire you, as you were mocking a former client.

Edit: Ah, I see you went and scrubbed it.  Problem is there's a whole bunch more like it, where you're making accusations or mocking comments towards people ILR which could verge into slander.  I linked that one because it stuck out in my memory and I could find it easily with a search, but you've got others too that I've seen.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:03:54 pm by 4maskwolf »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: March 14, 2015, 08:03:58 pm »

I do love Ollie Williams....
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 10:21:34 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 14, 2015, 08:06:02 pm »

The problem was that yours COULD be traced to the person it was talking about, given the timestamp and reference to the recentness of its happening.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20