Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 107

Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 167499 times)

Endymion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Overwatch - Released
« Reply #1485 on: July 23, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »

Personally I love a good junkrat on my team. One of the most annoying things about the recent 'meta' for me is that it seems like no one wants to shoot at barriers anymore, which is both a blessing and a curse to me when I'm playing Orisa. I can obliterate a Winston that just pounced someone if absolutely anyone would just throw an extra 200 or so damage into his bubble. So I love junkrats, they tend to throw enough damage around wildly to help me on my concentrated efforts to break barriers.

The really smart ones even figure out what those big green orbs mean as well. And man is it fun when some good splashy people know to pay attention to the halt orbs.
Watching Wizard of Oz while listening to Dark Side of the Moon on shuffle.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 24, 2017, 05:41:37 am »

It's hard to say what you're doing wrong without seeing you play. Keeping the objective in mind is good, but it won't win the game on its own. Most of the time you have to win the teamfight or they'll just stop you from actually capturing the point/evict you from the point so they can capture it. The general guidance I'd give is:
- Make sure at least one person is there to contest the point when you're fighting defensively to avoid giving it up for free
- Push the point on attack when you have a numbers advantage to force them into a bad fight
- Push the point on attack when the other team would have to give up a good position to contest it (eg their whole team is set up on high ground near the point rather than on it)
In other cases it can be better to focus on getting picks so that you gain a numbers advantage that you can use to take the point later. Soldier in particular prefers to take up a high ground spot and hit people from afar rather than knife-fighting on the point. Or flanking characters like Winston may go to the enemy backlines to kill their crucial supports.

Junkrat is the classic character who's good at lower SRs but tapers off later. He doesn't require much aim, and every aspect of his kit punishes poor play from the other side. At higher levels players get better at dodging his slow projectiles, not walking into his traps (or if they do, their tanks can often save them) and shooting down his ult before it hits. He can still be situationally good at defending corridors and stairs though.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 24, 2017, 08:23:52 am »

Just saw a typo in my last post thanks to a combo of clumsy-thumbs and autocorrect. Man, getting a cellphone and joining the modern world is weird.

Regardless, Leafsnail's advice is pretty spot on. Forcing the enemy team to fight with a man down or forcing a trickle is the best way to cap and win. Seems like you're a team player, or at least team-oriented, Cthulhu, and that's 90% of the battle right there. I'd refrain from playing competitive with a group of five or six though, because they can be wildly imbalanced in either direction. Finding a battle buddy to pair up with and play off of is probably optimal. It's easier for a Pharmercy duo to carry a team than going Pharah and hoping you can coordinate with your team, for example.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 25, 2017, 01:01:49 am »

I just saw a pharmercy actually, first time I've seen a dedicated one.  We lost in maybe 90 seconds cause some chucklefuck stole my S76, though I doubt S76 alone could've done anything about that.
Shoes...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 25, 2017, 01:24:46 am »

I just saw a pharmercy actually, first time I've seen a dedicated one.  We lost in maybe 90 seconds cause some chucklefuck stole my S76, though I doubt S76 alone could've done anything about that.

He really can't. Ideal is zen discording mercy + mercy boosting soldier, since that makes it a 3v2.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 25, 2017, 04:33:41 am »

The best character to 1v2 against Pharmercy would be D.va.  You're never going to kill them but you can waste their time forever.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:29 am »

Or a really good sniper. Had that happen to me. Popped Mercy and then Pharah with headshots.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 25, 2017, 03:49:49 pm »

Word on the street is Roadhog's sandvich vape gas will allow him to move while in use and give him 50% resistance during the heal.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: July 25, 2017, 05:27:20 pm »

That's the kind of buff I want to see on Roadhog. He's a Tank. Let him be tankier. And I've liked the drop in damage he does. I think a Hog pulling someone out of place and people burning abilities to keep them alive is a bit better than an instakill on the harder to grab characters, especially with that ever-elusive organized team.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 25, 2017, 05:38:54 pm »

That's.. Actually quite terrible. They are buffing his weaknesses rather then actually changing anything of value.

He's only going to be tankier for 2 seconds and then will need to go 8 seconds on cooldown. He isn't actually defending or tanking team damage and it actually makes him worse as it'll lead to overconfident folk standing out in the open so that he'll be buffing up the enemy teams ultimates.

It does nothing to fix his issues. He won't be considered a major threat and an enemy team will just focus fire down the rest of the allies. Honestly it seems like they only changed him because of lower rank complaints, when his whole tank deal was area denial.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 25, 2017, 05:51:53 pm »

Yeah, his main utility as a tank was his being the ultimate peeler, i.e., you need to handle Roadhog, he's too threatening not to handle, if you try to flank around and kill a healer who is anywhere within Roadhog's range then Roadhog will kill you. That's basically not the case anymore, his tank was always based around his massive threat.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: July 25, 2017, 09:29:40 pm »

when his whole tank deal was area denial.

His whole tank deal was being a DPS that happened to have triple hit points.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: July 25, 2017, 11:13:59 pm »

Pretty much just an off-tank... Or a DPS yes.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: July 26, 2017, 12:35:35 am »

I don't see how buffing a weakness is equivalent to changing nothing of value. The best time to dive on a 'Hog was when he was healing. You focus fire then and chances are your team will out-DPS his heals and he can't escape. The current 'Hog's healing makes him an Ult Battery. Adding mobility and damage resistance means not only is he no longer a statue, but even if he isn't running back to his team for cover it'll be a lot harder to neutralize his healing capabilities. I don't know why you think people with too many nards are going to be standing in the open when he has the ability to move while he heals.

Eh I could keep going on about it, but I've just remembered that the majority of people are never happy with any changes to any heroes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: July 26, 2017, 01:09:00 am »

He was a zoning tank.  Now he's a nothing.  Buffing his E confuses his purpose and encourages him to take an action which benefits the other team (which is huffing in the open).  The only thing it accomplishes is to make a more effective rework in the future that much more difficult.

You aren't really supposed to dive hog, that (was) kind of the point.  If you don't have a good Roadhog counter what you do is bait hook.  Between where his right clicks explode and his left clicks are effective, there's a kind of "sour spot" where Roadhog is basically useless.  Since he has no mobility to get into a good range and his E is bad by design, without hook Roadhog was a punching bag for anyone even a de-meched D.va.  The hook range and cooldown nerfs would seem to suggest the devs were focusing on this weakness, but I guess not.  What's shitty is that the rework mostly removed the sour spot, since you aren't punished for wasting shots any more.  Both countering and using nuHog's gun takes much less skill.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 107